Jump to content

Daiwa Lexa 500

Rate this topic


EricL

Recommended Posts

Anyone got one yet?

 

looks like Daiwa finally upsized the reel to match the Tranx 500. Took them long enough. 
 

I think it’s going to be a US specific model. 


At least it matches the original lexa’s styling,  looks much nicer than tranx 500’s god awful bulbous design. If only shimano used the Tranx 3/400 exterior styling on the 500…
 

magforce is always to have. 

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is for the sweet water guys who want to hang with the big boys. :howdy:

But if it works for you then it's all good. 

Edited by jimmy z

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My friend let me play around with his today, opened it up and honestly I'm very disappointed. Its the exact same reel as the 400. It has the EXACT same internals, with a wider spool. Was hoping they would redesign a beefier reel the same way Shimano did with their Tranx 500. Honestly to me, an extra 50 yrds of capacity does not justify a $125 price jump from the 400. Ill be sticking to the tranx 500... 

Edited by fishyfish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, fishyfish said:

My friend let me play around with his today, opened it up and honestly I'm very disappointed. Its the exact same reel as the 400. It has the EXACT same internals, with a wider spool. Was hoping they would redesign a beefier reel the same way Shimano did with their Tranx 500. Honestly to me, an extra 50 yrds of capacity does not justify a $125 price jump from the 400. Ill be sticking to the tranx 500... 

Interesting.  Since I haven’t seen one in person yet.  I thought it would have been a slight overall upsize in all dimensions. That kinda sucks. 

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ordered a Lexa 500 and am personally quite excited for this reel, even if it “only” has a larger line capacity than the 400 size. Why fix something that isn’t broken and doesn’t seem to break right? The Lexa 400s have landed many +100lb bluefin tuna after all.
 

The Tranx offers a lot, but isn’t a perfect big baitcaster by any means since they’re prone to some issues and don’t cast the best. The Okuma Komodo 400s are way tougher (unbreakable?), but don’t cast that far either. I found the older Curado 300s to be easiest to service/adjust with the side plate you can flip open, but have less line capacity. The Calcutta 700 is a freaking tank, but a little too heavy for me. The Ambassador 10000, while bulletproof, lack some modern benefits while also just being “big” too. @Heavy Hooksetter has helped a lot to weigh in with his wisdom on reels.
 

The bottom line is it’s tough to find a big levelwind reel without some trade offs. I’m going to spool straight 30-40lb mono or fluoro on my Lexa 500 for drifting big metal lips, swinging soft plastics and working Docs. After trying many of the reels I listed above to do this, I’m certain the Lexa 500 is the perfect tool for the job because it will hold enough line. I am especially excited to have the Magcast feature that makes instantaneous on-the-water adjustments a breeze to help get smoother casts with farther distance. This will be especially helpful with metal lips that tumble around midcast or when the wind keeps changing directions all night. 1 click of that dial can reduce backlashes or get that extra 20-30ft of distance that can make all the difference some nights… this is also a very “light” reel weightwise for its size which will be nice when fishing 4-6oz baits a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 mins ago, hairyfishhead said:

I ordered a Lexa 500 and am personally quite excited for this reel, even if it “only” has a larger line capacity than the 400 size. Why fix something that isn’t broken and doesn’t seem to break right? The Lexa 400s have landed many +100lb bluefin tuna after all.
 

The Tranx offers a lot, but isn’t a perfect big baitcaster by any means since they’re prone to some issues and don’t cast the best. The Okuma Komodo 400s are way tougher (unbreakable?), but don’t cast that far either. I found the older Curado 300s to be easiest to service/adjust with the side plate you can flip open, but have less line capacity. The Calcutta 700 is a freaking tank, but a little too heavy for me. The Ambassador 10000, while bulletproof, lack some modern benefits while also just being “big” too. @Heavy Hooksetter has helped a lot to weigh in with his wisdom on reels.
 

The bottom line is it’s tough to find a big levelwind reel without some trade offs. I’m going to spool straight 30-40lb mono or fluoro on my Lexa 500 for drifting big metal lips, swinging soft plastics and working Docs. After trying many of the reels I listed above to do this, I’m certain the Lexa 500 is the perfect tool for the job because it will hold enough line. I am especially excited to have the Magcast feature that makes instantaneous on-the-water adjustments a breeze to help get smoother casts with farther distance. This will be especially helpful with metal lips that tumble around midcast or when the wind keeps changing directions all night. 1 click of that dial can reduce backlashes or get that extra 20-30ft of distance that can make all the difference some nights… this is also a very “light” reel weightwise for its size which will be nice when fishing 4-6oz baits a lot.

Ty for the honorable mention, if I didn't have twin Lexas I'd go for a 500 myself.

as for the 700b,it is a tank and has large capacity.

I have plugged with one for quite a few years now and it's not the best caster but if you fish LDP method and can reach the tide where you need to it's the bomb!

I swapped out the factory dartainium drag once it wore out and added carbons which made it able to stop a loaded cruise ship.

ABus?, Well they are def great platforms for plugging either stock or juiced up.

great for soaking bait as well.

even my old, but, brand new, discontinued years ago when bought it, Quantum IR-330 which is bigger than a Abu 7k is not designed for casting can be casted with a good thumb, has huge capacity and a decent drag works great for LDP method though not a distance champ.

it gets the fish to you and is high quality.

HH

IMG_20210625_022032.jpg.b2263f6798167f2482b7660f354afa86.jpg

IMG_20201014_012405.jpg.aba7ec14a7668bbd31a9e0de7d5a95bc.jpg

700b

IMG_20210624_013811.jpg.da2a8d3285deb476e0e23661cf11f062.jpg

IMG_20220415_164908.jpg.2ce884cf8e534e8706df9c62a030bc5c.jpg

Quantum IR-330.

IMG_20211103_012038.jpg.b6acbef06b5657d82c7ca1a4e7eea4e1.jpg

IMG_20210611_023724.jpg.a05e9d1123e88251911631a0a0072acf.jpg

Abu,,,, 

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2024 at 4:06 AM, fishyfish said:

My friend let me play around with his today, opened it up and honestly I'm very disappointed. Its the exact same reel as the 400. It has the EXACT same internals, with a wider spool. Was hoping they would redesign a beefier reel the same way Shimano did with their Tranx 500. Honestly to me, an extra 50 yrds of capacity does not justify a $125 price jump from the 400. Ill be sticking to the tranx 500... 

It must be at least wider since there is not much on either side to add a wider spool.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

It must be at least wider since there is not much on either side to add a wider spool.

HH

Yes that is a given with a wider spool but the side plates are the same size, along with all the internals. A wider frame has no benefit other than allowing more capacity, and the slight increase in capacity does not (to me) justify a $125 price jump.

Edited by fishyfish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 mins ago, fishyfish said:

Yes that is a given with a wider spool but the side plates are the same size, along with all the internals. A wider frame has no benefit other than allowing more capacity, and the slight increase in capacity does not (to me) justify a $125 price jump.

Well, it’s not just an increase in capacity.  
It’s an increase in line class size also. 
makes a big difference going from 30 to 40.  Or 40 to 50, 65, etc. 

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fishyfish said:

Yes that is a given with a wider spool but the side plates are the same size, along with all the internals. A wider frame has no benefit other than allowing more capacity, and the slight increase in capacity does not (to me) justify a $125 price jump.

Oh I agree with you, I paid 440 for two Lexa 400hdsp's when they were released.

They are as they were then, silky and no rattles.

I did Alan Tani's pretrip greasing and went fishing.

They are perfect in my hands and a joy to fish with 

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...