Ugh, storm door strut arm(?)

Rate this topic

foxfai

So I had this new strut arm installed about a year ago. With the wind storm last night, not so sure if the door got pulled out and bend some areas or what, but the door won't close by itself. The adjusting knob it's somehow broke. Don't remember it broke since last time I adjust it. It has been finiky anyhow. But is this leaking around that rim area (brown ring)? I have to pull the door close now, maybe a new arm will help? There is still gas and will have pressure releasing the door almost to close, but within 1/2" before it latches.

20240229_171424.jpg

20240229_171404.jpg

Edited by foxfai

Piston may be blown out. The knob allows for fine adj. for glass in or out., speed and force. There may be a second attachment point on the other end of the piston that you can try

edit- maybe the door stop clip slid slightly on to the piston; that one got me in the past.

Edited by cheech

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

3 hours ago, cheech said:

Piston may be blown out. The knob allows for fine adj. for glass in or out., speed and force. There may be a second attachment point on the other end of the piston that you can try

edit- maybe the door stop clip slid slightly on to the piston; that one got me in the past.

It's not blown. That's why it's holding the door slightly ajar. Still have pressure right at the end, but the knob won't adjust it anymore for some reason. IIRC, it's only screwed slightly in.

1 hour ago, nightfighter said:

If the wind got it and the arm is bent, just replace it. But first take the closer off to see if door will still close. Simple fix. No one likes the chain restraints, but they work.

Gotta have the chain.

23 hours ago, nightfighter said:

If the wind got it and the arm is bent, just replace it. But first take the closer off to see if door will still close. Simple fix. No one likes the chain restraints, but they work.

Thanks. Your comment made me look a different way. Spent an hour yesterday taking everything apart and apparently the wind made the door blown out and bent the aluminum rail at the side causing the door not close. So it wasn't the strut. The strut assembly is totally working, just the stupid plastic knob broke off. The mounting metal frame to the strut was also bent to.

This door fast west/southwest where I am so any storm comes around will hit this side bad. Now the door can be close but I have to find a better way to re-fix everything. The door frame is cracked also so the mounting points are compromised. 

What brand? On Andersens I have been able to replace the hinge side Z Bar, IF the door is worthy of keeping. The Z Bar is not cheap, but is a lot less than a whole new door. Get a new closer too. As for the cracked frame, I assume you are talking about where the closer attaches? Unless you are replacing the whole door, try longer screws. You want to be able to screw into the framing behind the door jamb. Remove the screws and use a coat hanger to measure how far to the framing. If it is more than a 4" screw can reach, (not unusual in old homes) remove the casing (I prefer on the inside) and add blocking. The jamb is not enough to withstand a windblown door.

3 hours ago, nightfighter said:

What brand? On Andersens I have been able to replace the hinge side Z Bar, IF the door is worthy of keeping. The Z Bar is not cheap, but is a lot less than a whole new door. Get a new closer too. As for the cracked frame, I assume you are talking about where the closer attaches? Unless you are replacing the whole door, try longer screws. You want to be able to screw into the framing behind the door jamb. Remove the screws and use a coat hanger to measure how far to the framing. If it is more than a 4" screw can reach, (not unusual in old homes) remove the casing (I prefer on the inside) and add blocking. The jamb is not enough to withstand a windblown door.

I have no clue, the gas strut is Wright I replaced. It was only tethered with a chain when I bought the house, added the strut back with it's weird layout. The bracket to the frame has bent and came off a few times already. I re-bent it back to shape and screw them back with 3(4?)" screw. This time bent part of the aluminum part from the storm door and I bend it back so now the door closed. 

To be honest, maybe I will have to take apart the whole thing and refit it at some point. But now, it's able to be closed, until next time...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2024 at 5:11 PM, nightfighter said:

Look on the hinge side of the door for a sticker with manufacturer info. Post it and pic of where it bent

Finally got around to look at this again. Door is from Sears ions years ago. The strut is added back my me. Bracket might be from the new strut.... But I don't remember, it's temporary fixed back in where it was. 

20240313_182631.jpg

20240313_182616.jpg

20240313_182450.jpg

It appears that the bracket is installed backwards. Or is it also bent that badly?  But that jamb is toast. Replace with a solid piece, dutchman repair.

Can't help with a Sears door. I like the Andersen storm. Easy install if the frame is square.....

Edited by nightfighter

29 mins ago, nightfighter said:

The diagonal side faces the storm door. Should be stamped right on it. (But I will admit to installing one or two backwards before realizing it and correcting. Especially the bottom ones....PITA for me anyway.)

connectingcloserandbracket.jpg

Oh god, that might be it. I'll check on it later.....

The bracket is bent into some weird shape already, not sure if the holes will line up after I flip it.

3 hours ago, nightfighter said:

I probably have two anyway bouncing around in my truck... You are welcome to one if you get up Marblehead way..... They are cheap online or in box store. But that is a bandaid,,,  Instead of doing that, replace the whole unit. 

Thanks for the offer! I will see when I have a chance to come around to it again. I think there was a reason it was flipped around since there door and the storm door placement is very narrow..... I don't know. You can see I have to shim it again to make it level for the screw. Doesn't the unit comes with the bracket? Memory is vague if this one I replace a while back did...