Sheared off cheap pc repair kit torx bit in hex slot screw

Rate this topic

Skin

Was removing arm from VS 100. Did not think that hex slot screws were that tight since I got 2 out of 3 out easily. Probably the bit was fatigued anyway.

Tried poking it with a dental pick. No welding, air, heat, or rare earth magnets on the kitchen table.

Suggestions of what to order from Amazon to remediate? 

Tiny ezout kit? It is well lubed and since it was the wrong tool, I was hoping to tap it or pick it in the wrong direction and have it roll

out. No such luck.

The screw is intact, and the torx bit broke off in the head of the screw? If that’s the case, you should be able to remove the broken torx bit.

Edited by cheech

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Yes, that is what happened. I figure that the splines on the torx bit twisted and are holding it in place. Unfortunately, nothing is sticking out to grab. I just want reverse the splines with an Ezout, which should loosen it, and then use a proper hex bit on the screw.

Micro motor hand piece or dremel. Carbide drill. Drill the torx bit and it’ll come out in chunks with the center mass gone. 

Edited by EricL

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

Just a suggestion but replace every bolt/screw that was removed with the improper tool. Not worth reinstalling a possibly compromised piece of hardware.

Also maybe try tapping the sheared off torx but with a drift and a rubber/plastic mallet.  May free it up. Spray it with silicone or something too. Good luck

Did it come out? Balance an ice cube on the offending hardware. Wait ten minutes, turn it upside down and poke at it with a fine sewing needle

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

For a broken off torx or hex I’ve been able to get them out with a strong rare earth magnet, for the ones that didn’t work it was a drill press and carbide bit. Eric’s idea is probably the best, you need to remove the center mass. Be careful with carbide bits, they are very brittle and if used in a drill press they can bind and break off. Never tried a dremel but with the right bit it would probably work great.