Crab Trap info

Rate this topic

This is what is for sale in one of the local tackle shops (Frank & Frans).  I have seen the triangle traps there as well.

Snap Trap Crab Trap

Most the crabbing I see there is hand lining but I have also seen a lot of single full sized traps put out behind rental homes. It's kind of funny to see them spend >$100 and rarely get a crab as they have no idea how to bait them nor place them. You can get a bushel of fresh or cooked crabs for less than that. Point being that recreational crabbing does not seem to be a big threat to the crab population nor a concern for enforcement. 

The NCMP (NC marine patrol) has 56 officers to cover 2.5 million acres of water and over 4,000 miles of coastline. In 50 years of fishing there I have never even seen an NCMP officer. 

I am not suggesting that you break the law just sharing my experience on crabbing there. Do buy a fishing license and definitely get an ORV permit if you are going to driving on the beach. Those the NPS will check for. 

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

1 hour ago, hhager23 said:

This is what is for sale in one of the local tackle shops (Frank & Frans).  I have seen the triangle traps there as well.

Snap Trap Crab Trap

Most the crabbing I see there is hand lining but I have also seen a lot of single full sized traps put out behind rental homes. It's kind of funny to see them spend >$100 and rarely get a crab as they have no idea how to bait them nor place them. You can get a bushel of fresh or cooked crabs for less than that. Point being that recreational crabbing does not seem to be a big threat to the crab population nor a concern for enforcement. 

The NCMP (NC marine patrol) has 56 officers to cover 2.5 million acres of water and over 4,000 miles of coastline. In 50 years of fishing there I have never even seen an NCMP officer. 

I am not suggesting that you break the law just sharing my experience on crabbing there. Do buy a fishing license and definitely get an ORV permit if you are going to driving on the beach. Those the NPS will check for. 

Thanks for the info, we vacation near whancheese (spelling) in the summer and thought I would give it a try. I found a crabbing area there. Most people were doing the hand line thing. I run traps back home but the regs are little different and don’t wanna be illegal. I’ll try Frank and Fran’s when I get down there. 

1 hour ago, GoneCoastal said:

Thanks for the info, we vacation near whancheese (spelling) in the summer and thought I would give it a try. I found a crabbing area there. Most people were doing the hand line thing. I run traps back home but the regs are little different and don’t wanna be illegal. I’ll try Frank and Fran’s when I get down there. 

Frank & Fran's is an hour south of Wanchese in Avon but you could try TW's in Nags Head for traps or Oceans East on the causeway.

Near Wanchese - go to O'Neals for crabs. 

https://onealsseaharvest.com/

They are the Wanchese seafood place. Their soft shell BLT is off the charts and they sell both fresh & frozen softshells at a reasonable price (~$2.50-3@  last I was there). 

Crabbing is fun but I really appreciate a better than 13% yield on anything I pack to take home. 

When in the summer do you normally go? 

Edited by hhager23

Sounds like a ride, I’ve been as far south as Hatteras jacks but ran out of time. Pea island is fun. 

My Father in law goes there for crab meat and soft shells. He knows the way to my heart lol. 

Yeah I figured the traps might help with the catch ratio. Might steam up a dozen with the nephews if we get them. They are becoming quite the outdoorsman and never been crabbing. 

We are usually there the first week of August. Big family trip for my wife’s family. I’m in charge of fishing and keeping the older boys occupied 

1 hour ago, hhager23 said:

Their soft shell BLT is off the charts and they sell both fresh & frozen softshells at a reasonable price (~$2.50-3@  last I was there). 

I would drive to NC to buy a box of frozen softshells for $3 each :drool: 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

On 3/1/2024 at 9:29 AM, GoneCoastal said:

They cost $ 5-10 each in MD. I’m considering stocking up when I’m down this summer. My only concern is how they keep in the freezer. 

It's nuts what they're charging here. The 2 cheapest places are Lindy's and Cool Ice. I know whales were $60/dozen back during the peak in July and August at Lindy's. I might try setting up a shedder run and get some peelers right off the docks down there.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 10:00 PM, GoneCoastal said:

Anyone have a pic of a legal NC crab trap ? I’m guessing from my research that only triangles and hoops are legal ? I understand it must lay completely flat and be no more than 18” across. Seems kinda small for a triangle trap. 

thanks ! 

the place to buy pots is mike Kellers in Wanchese -its a rope shop.  I think they just need a 2in escape ring.  get a nc rec com gear license and your good for 5 pots.  from Kellers they will be set up proper(rcgl regs must have pink floats). 

On 3/5/2024 at 4:14 PM, ReeferRob said:

It's nuts what they're charging here. The 2 cheapest places are Lindy's and Cool Ice. I know whales were $60/dozen back during the peak in July and August at Lindy's. I might try setting up a shedder run and get some peelers right off the docks down there.

Try O'Neals in Wanchese, over the bridge from OBX,  jumbos were around $40 a dozen last September.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

1 hour ago, Highlander1 said:

Try O'Neals in Wanchese, over the bridge from OBX,  jumbos were around $40 a dozen last September.

I don't buy soft crabs. I just saw what they were charging. And after my last trip to the OBX I don't think I'll ever go back.

Jacques Cousteau

2 hours ago, ReeferRob said:

I don't buy soft crabs. I just saw what they were charging. And after my last trip to the OBX I don't think I'll ever go back.

Mind if I ask why? I live for fishing Hatteras Island. 

53 mins ago, hhager23 said:

Mind if I ask why? I live for fishing Hatteras Island. 

One of the packing houses tried to screw me. That wasn't my first time buying shrimp and I damn well knew you salted them because they were packed in ice water and they were a cloudy white color. That's all I'll say and I won't name names. That was my last trip to The OBX. If I need to buy shrimp, I'll head down to Oriental and see Keith Bruno at Endurance seafood where I know I won't get the business. I linked up with a guy down on The Crystal coast and he showed me where to net shrimp so I won't have to buy any hopefully.

Jacques Cousteau