Fifth Wheel remodel

Rate this topic

Shag

I have 20 year old Holiday Rambler 5th wheel that we bought new. It has only been on the beach, and after 20 years I’m replacing cabinet hardware, some light fixtures, and the cloth window treatments. Before I rip all the carpet out for a new floor, I figured I’d start with the stairs up to the bath and bedroom. As with most RV’s they are pressed wood, still sturdy but some rot and mold stains from moisture/rain coming in the entryway over the years. I’m going to replace the whole thing with a plywood and solid wood treads that flip up for access and storage. 

Here’s the question: what type of plywood do I use? I was thinking AC due to the exposure from the entryway. Would interior cabinet ply be a problem in this situation?  The treads will be solid  something that can be stained like maple. 
Sorry for the long windedness. 

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

3 hours ago, b-ware said:

As far as flooring goes I would use CDX plywood and cover it with laminate flooring or some of the new vinyl self stick imatation wood.

I Don’t need to replace the floor, just the floor covering. Most laminate is too thick for slide clearance when they come in. The self stick was what I was thinking of as a big sheet of linoleum is too unwieldy in the space. Below is the stairs I have to replace. It was wrapped in carpet with a thousand staples. The moldy rotted part must have been from the carpet retaining moisture. Since I’m keeping it all wood, I need ply that will take a nice finish either brite or paint. That’s really my plywood question. Any sources besides box stores for those self stick flooring you mentioned? 
Thanks.image.jpg.a5da32067e8b6c95517493880e09f8db.jpgimage.jpg.b7dbcdcec60b66f0b5ca913634dd3867.jpg

3 hours ago, SC said:

I would use whatever "Spacecraft" or "New Horizons" uses. They are the best of the best in 5th wheels

My Holiday was a better than average for its time, and what wasn’t carpet is still in great shape. When I asked my go to RV guy who does 90% warranty work, what Fifth wheels I should look for a new rig; he said keep what you got. “They all suck, especially something made during Covid”. Hence, the refit of what I have. Most flooring on new builds, is done while it is opened up, before cabinets, bulkheads, furniture etc. I don’t think I could use the same material, without making it cost and labor intensive. I’m going with the wood look peel and stick when I get there.

Thanks.

Mine just has a single platform step to get to the upper level. And it's more or less centered lengthwise, a long way from the entrance door.  Wife wasn't working for awhile. She's pretty handy. Hated the sheet linoleum floor in the kitchen and bathroom area so she replaced it with Allure. Did a great job in the kitchen. The bathroom not so much. Took the toilet out, laid the Allure, and put it back. Which lifted it about a half inch above the seal. Sewage running into the storage "cellar" every time you flushed. :upchuck:

Thought I was going to have to cut the Allure out from under the toilet, but found a longer seal that ended up working. 

Good luck!

I'll have mine on the rocks.

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

Seeing you have them out , it would be the perfect time to put a hinged tread on to make some additional storage space........

That is the plan. Some storage, but mostly I will reroute the water pump so I can get access from inside the camper. At 6,’1” and 214 and 70 YOA squeezing in a compartment then through an 11” passage under a heat duct to access the pump just isn’t fun anymore. 

Pete,

We’ve been considering remodel as well but so far all I’ve done is “consider” it for a few years.  There are a lot of videos online of folks that have done laminate floors but I agree you have to be careful to find something thin enough to not get gouged by the slide.  I’d be concerned with self stick popping up due to all the temp and humidity changes our campers experience.

Bob

17 hours ago, bobnap said:

Pete,

We’ve been considering remodel as well but so far all I’ve done is “consider” it for a few years.  There are a lot of videos online of folks that have done laminate floors but I agree you have to be careful to find something thin enough to not get gouged by the slide.  I’d be concerned with self stick popping up due to all the temp and humidity changes our campers experience.

Bob

You’re right Bob. There’s a vid of a full timer young couple, who redid a Mobile Suite with a layout and vintage of my rig. They used a vinyl flooring like the peel and stick, but glued it down, still had some issues with slide rollers. Talk to ya soon.