New tsunami saltx2/forged rods

Rate this topic

TimSF

17 mins ago, FallenKell said:

Trying not to derail this thread, but yes, the VSX2 50 looks like a great reel. That said, they are still revising them as it is still new (I think we are on revision 3 now which just started showing up). I would hold off a bit for it to stabilize (I would say the same with the SaltX2 reel to a smaller degree since it is essentially the next version of the SaltX they released a 4-5 years ago). But I know some people will always go buy the latest without waiting for the bugs to be found and fixed....

The above is incorrect.

The VSB50X2 is a bailed reel.  The bailess X2's are the ones with the rotor problems. The bailed X2's are excellent!

13 mins ago, recoil said:

The above is incorrect.

The VSB50X2 is a bailed reel.  The bailess X2's are the ones with the rotor problems. The bailed X2's are excellent!

My fault, I thought the 50 was just like the 150 and 200 where there were both versions.

42 mins ago, FallenKell said:

Trying not to derail this thread, but yes, the VSX2 50 looks like a great reel. That said, they are still revising them as it is still new (I think we are on revision 3 now which just started showing up). I would hold off a bit for it to stabilize (I would say the same with the SaltX2 reel to a smaller degree since it is essentially the next version of the SaltX they released a 4-5 years ago). But I know some people will always go buy the latest without waiting for the bugs to be found and fixed....

Thanks, yes, didn’t mean to get off topic.

I love tsunami products and their customer service is excellent. I’ve had 3 saltx reels and a saltx rod and they are my most used reels and rod. Buut i have not dunked them so i can’t comment on any water intrusion issues. Anytime i needed something for my reels responses from Cindy at tsunami has always been in a timely manner and shipped quickly. I’m fighting a losing battle against my will to not buy this rod. 

On 3/1/2024 at 4:14 PM, MEF said:

I lack self control and ended up buying the 9'7" salt x II today. Took it out for a few test casts. Paired with a vsx 200. Balanced great. Really light, but can tell it has backbone. Was casting a 3 ounce guppy pencil into a hard south wind. First thing I noticed was how straight the plug comes out of the rod. No wobble at all, which if there was any it would be magnified in the strong head on wind. Handled 3 ounce beautifully, rod did not feel overloaded at all. I actually prefer a faster recovery rod for working a pencil popper, and this rod did a great job getting a good action on the plug with minimal effort. For the strength of the headwind, casting distance was great. Rod did not get overpowered no matter how hard I leaned into it. Can tell the tip is nice and sensitive though. Looking forward to putting some fish on it this spring. Will report back then.

Rod could be ok. But a fast rod for throwing pencils is not what you want. Can you do it sure but not optimally. 

1 hour ago, hydraman said:

Rod could be ok. But a fast rod for throwing pencils is not what you want. Can you do it sure but not optimally. 

For me it is optimal and it works better. Others may like a slower rod. all personal preference 

I’ve got some new reels I’ve gotta take to get spooled up this week. I am going to look at these rods while I’m at the shop. I’m kinda interested in the 7’7 saltx 2 as another back bay rod. I’m wondering how it feels/compares vs my Odm dna 7’ 6” back bay though. 

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”