New tsunami saltx2/forged rods

Rate this topic

TimSF

1 hour ago, MEF said:

I lack self control and ended up buying the 9'7" salt x II today. Took it out for a few test casts. Paired with a vsx 200. Balanced great. Really light, but can tell it has backbone. Was casting a 3 ounce guppy pencil into a hard south wind. First thing I noticed was how straight the plug comes out of the rod. No wobble at all, which if there was any it would be magnified in the strong head on wind. Handled 3 ounce beautifully, rod did not feel overloaded at all. I actually prefer a faster recovery rod for working a pencil popper, and this rod did a great job getting a good action on the plug with minimal effort. For the strength of the headwind, casting distance was great. Rod did not get overpowered no matter how hard I leaned into it. Can tell the tip is nice and sensitive though. Looking forward to putting some fish on it this spring. Will report back then.

Damn i was hoping somebody would report negatively… looks like im gonna have to just buy the 10’7 

13 mins ago, Kewanee said:

Hey MEF, I am with you! I bought the 8’7” today!

l had the 8'7" in my hands today super light tight action gonna wait until the new SaltX2 line of reels come out see what pairs up with the rod.

7 mins ago, LB said:

l had the 8'7" in my hands today super light tight action gonna wait until the new SaltX2 line of reels come out see what pairs up with the rod.

Where is the reel? Nick/Scooby was hyping it for a fall 2023 release. 

(if the answer is they are waiting to “get it right” than I accept that answer) 

I have been looking for a rod to pair with my vs vr75. Have tried several rods and a buddy of mine let me try his ODM genesis 9’ (8.8oz on my scale). This is an awesome rod. However, I have/had an Amazon gift card…saw this thread and watched the video review by Scooby-Doo from icast. The 8’7” is even lighter based on specs…and this rod was available from Amazon. Can’t wait to try it out!

7 mins ago, ged said:

Where is the reel? Nick/Scooby was hyping it for a fall 2023 release. 

(if the answer is they are waiting to “get it right” than I accept that answer) 

l was at Fisherman's Headquarters and Frankie the VS service Tec. says they have orders in for the reels but it could be around May before we see the reels, will see that happens.

Both the new rods and reels should have came out at the same time, no brainer.

27 mins ago, LB said:

Great idea. I have my eye on the 3000.

18 mins ago, Kewanee said:

I have been looking for a rod to pair with my vs vr75. Have tried several rods and a buddy of mine let me try his ODM genesis 9’ (8.8oz on my scale). This is an awesome rod. However, I have/had an Amazon gift card…saw this thread and watched the video review by Scooby-Doo from icast. The 8’7” is even lighter based on specs…and this rod was available from Amazon. Can’t wait to try it out!

That reel would go great with that rod l put a VSX2 50 and it when l was at the store it felt good , but l want to try the  SALTX2 in either 3000 0r 4000 before l buy anything.

Edited by LB

7 mins ago, LB said:

That reel would go great with that rod l put a VSX2 50 and it when l was at the store it felt good , but l want to try the  SALTX2 in either 3000 0r 4000 before l buy anything.

How do u like the vsx2 50? That looks like a nice reel.

25 mins ago, Kewanee said:

Trying not to derail this thread, but yes, the VSX2 50 looks like a great reel. That said, they are still revising them as it is still new (I think we are on revision 3 now which just started showing up). I would hold off a bit for it to stabilize (I would say the same with the SaltX2 reel to a smaller degree since it is essentially the next version of the SaltX they released a 4-5 years ago). But I know some people will always go buy the latest without waiting for the bugs to be found and fixed....

39 mins ago, Kewanee said:

l didn't like the one l felt, it was in for repairs it was very tight, plus l had played around with one before but it wasn't as smooth as my VS100 or 150, for me l don't care if the spool is internal or external, so the waiting game is on.

l do work on reels for my friends and l got some SALTX gen1 and they are well built for the price solid reels with HD SS gears, so the SALTX2 has me waiting. 

1 hour ago, FallenKell said:

Trying not to derail this thread, but yes, the VSX2 50 looks like a great reel. That said, they are still revising them as it is still new (I think we are on revision 3 now which just started showing up). I would hold off a bit for it to stabilize (I would say the same with the SaltX2 reel to a smaller degree since it is essentially the next version of the SaltX they released a 4-5 years ago). But I know some people will always go buy the latest without waiting for the bugs to be found and fixed....

lf it looks and works better than SALTX gen1 the bugs l could work out.

Edited by LB