Opinions on ALPS rapid spin seat

Rate this topic

vinnyb

Hi all - looking for opinions on the ALPS rapid spin (all nylon) seat for a surf rod application. I’m considering it for a rebuild of my old Lami XRA 1083. I see that Century uses these seats on their high end surf sticks so assuming they’re a quality seat. Anyone have personal experience with these?

4 mins ago, tbush said:

Ive built on these seats without any issues.  Imo they are big compared to the same size fuji seat.  The 18 is perfect for most applications and the 20 is a moose. 

Thx appreciate the feedback & yes it would be an 18. What about from a comfort standpoint? The Fuji TVS has become my favorite spin seat for smaller rods, but they only make it in 16 & 17. 

22 mins ago, vinnyb said:

Thx appreciate the feedback & yes it would be an 18. What about from a comfort standpoint? The Fuji TVS has become my favorite spin seat for smaller rods, but they only make it in 16 & 17. 

Comfort compared to the tvs is going to be personal preference.  They are both nice. I prefer the fuji seats but thats my preference.

Lol, alps are a horrible choice for a surf rod. 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

8 hours ago, Terry Mac said:

Just in general or specifically the aluminum seats? I agree with you on aluminum but I’m talking about the nylon Rapid Spin seat - any experience with that one?

A few things I noticed and didn't like about them....

there's a lot of seat in front of the front hood, so if you're someone like me that likes to have your thumb on the foregrip you might find that it feels awkward.  I think it looks awkward too.

the front of the seat tapers down a lot from it's widest point, which makes fitting a foregrip difficult unless you like smaller grips.  even on the size 18 the front OD is only 0.83" - that's similar to what you'd normally see on a size 14

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

35 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

A few things I noticed and didn't like about them....

there's a lot of seat in front of the front hood, so if you're someone like me that likes to have your thumb on the foregrip you might find that it feels awkward.  I think it looks awkward too.

the front of the seat tapers down a lot from it's widest point, which makes fitting a foregrip difficult unless you like smaller grips.  even on the size 18 the front OD is only 0.83" - that's similar to what you'd normally see on a size 14

Good points - I see that now.  Looks like they've created an indentation ahead of the front hood for (assuming) comfort & added aesthetic.  But yea - it does extend the seat quite a bit.

BTW - the seat also comes with a black carbon insert.  I'm showing the pic of the silver insert because it better shows the detailing.

alps.JPG.6f1ce58bb01d9ea34b09a2a94d835749.JPG

I like them a lot. I was using fuji nps seats on majority of surf rods before, but recently switched over to the rapid spins. Even the size 17 still holds a van staal. 

I have a few lighter inshore rods with the fuji tvs seats and they do not hold a couple of 3000 sized daiwa reels that I have well. They wiggle in the seat when fighting fish. 

I like the alps quite a bit now too. Specifically the VTG. It's the rapid spin without the fancy cutouts at a lower price point. Previous the fuji nps was my favorite but you have to use a size 20 to fit a Van Staal. I like the smaller diameter of the alps because it makes a smoother transition to the typical surf rod type grips. Most people don't put bulky grips on a surf rod but I suppose the thin diameter of the seat would be a little uncomfortable if you did.20240126_084759.jpg.e2999d1d82bdbca6230d40346e96254b.jpg20220904_083844.jpg.ad1e00757afc3d6c3cc4eb38a0356ce1.jpg

6 hours ago, BRossi said:

I like the alps quite a bit now too. Specifically the VTG. It's the rapid spin without the fancy cutouts at a lower price point. 

Hey thanks - I didn't even notice the VTG as an option.  What's the foregrip material in the top pic?

1 hour ago, BRossi said:

It's heat shrink over this weather stripping stuff. Looks cool but I'm not exactly sure how it's going to hold up in the long run.

It does look cool - very aggressive looking.  I guess you'll find out - it's part of the fun in creating your own rods ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 11:39 PM, Terry Mac said:

Are you speaking from experience or just trolling? Alps is Batson so that statement is false! They are one of the best next to Fuji. 

at the moment they have the slimmest ergo profiles, there size 17rpd seat will fit van staal reels. 

4 mins ago, a rod n a reel said:

Are you speaking from experience or just trolling? Alps is Batson so that statement is false! They are one of the best next to Fuji. 

at the moment they have the slimmest ergo profiles, there size 17rpd seat will fit van staal reels. 

That's my fault, i thought this was about the heavy duty aluminum ones that guys ruin a good surf blank with. I should have read closer verses browse by.     

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.