Help choosing the right gear

Rate this topic

travisoneil

I posted this same post in the distance casting forum to very minimal response so i figured i would try here:

Let me begin by saying I was watching some guys off the end of the pier in obx just absolutely sailing bait.  I've done some research and am pretty certain im going with a penn Fathom unless someone convinces me otherwise.

And I am fully aware that technique is an absolute must, but I would still like to have the right equipment.  Thanks in advance!  And I'm assuming that ideally those longcasters are running 4-6oz

Things I need to know:

What size fathom?

Which rod to pair it with?

Which length?

Which line?

Shock leader?

Etc....

Edited yesterday at 

20 mins ago, travisoneil said:

I posted this same post in the distance casting forum to very minimal response so i figured i would try here:

Let me begin by saying I was watching some guys off the end of the pier in obx just absolutely sailing bait.  I've done some research and am pretty certain im going with a penn Fathom unless someone convinces me otherwise.

And I am fully aware that technique is an absolute must, but I would still like to have the right equipment.  Thanks in advance!  And I'm assuming that ideally those longcasters are running 4-6oz

Things I need to know:

What size fathom?

Which rod to pair it with?

Which length?

Which line?

Shock leader?

Etc....

Edited yesterday at 

Hi, first where are you fishing from, surf, pier. What fish are you fishing for, blues, stripers, whiteing.  Are you casting if a pier or just droping bait  and wait. There is many combo's you can get to tailor your fishing.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

Here’s the basic rundown of what we use down here in the OBX for red drum:

12’-13’ Rod - Ocean Master 12’, CTS 1205, CTS 1305, CTS 1306, Rainshadow 1509, Daiwa Saltiga Ballistic 40, WRI Fusion Mag

Reels - Daiwa SL20SH or 30SH, Penn Fathom 12 or 15, Daiwa Saltist 20H/30H, Penn 525 Mag

Main Line - 16lb - 20lb.  Sufix Tritanium Chartreuse or Pro Spec Chrome Orange

Shock Leader - 50lb like.  Berkeley Big Game or Ande 

Bite Leader - 100lb

Hooks - 8/0-10/0.  Personally I like Gamakatsu 10/0 J hooks or 10/0 Mustad 39950BLN

Sinkers - 6oz to 12oz.  Most days throwing 8oz.  Hard NE and it’s 10 to 12oz.

Fishingman88  is spot on. Up here in A.I. MD and VA I used a 12' heavy Penn battalion 4 to 10 oz. Penn fathom 15 sd with 17 # mono. There are better rods than the Penn, but I didn't always fish for black drums. I like the Bull red drum.  Now I use an 11'  med heavy 3 to 8 oz rod with a Slammer IV 6500 with 40# braid for the red drum. As I got older , now in my 70's I found it harder to cast the big 12' and 13' rods. But if you really want something that will be a great combo, get one of the rods and reels 88 suggested. It's better to spend more now on good gear than buy cheap stuff now and have to get better gear later. You will save money in the long run.

24 mins ago, travisoneil said:

So you guys run a mono leader and not a flouro?

I don’t fish OBX, but I have heard that the point is mono only. Not braid main line. I don’t know the accuracy or history of this. 

I would assume mono main line and mono shock leader. 

I would find it difficult not to fish fireline with a mono shock leader

40 mins ago, travisoneil said:

So you guys run a mono leader and not a flouro?

Mono leader.  You do not need fluorocarbon.  

I'd also highly suggest using mono/copolymer for your main line.  I know you said you used braid before but it's frowned upon UNLESS you're fishing by yourself.  When there's 20-50 rods at the end of the pier or 50+ people on the beach, you do not want to be fishing braid.  It's a nightmare to see it and untangle when you're weaving between rods.

Feel free to use braid when you're fishing by yourself somewhere but for etiquette purposes around people do not use braid.  

The CTS S7 series has the rods I mentioned in my post.  CTS 1205, 1305, 1306, etc.   Any of those is fine. 

Fathom II size 15, CTS 1305, Carolina Cast Pro 12' 6-10oz, or Rainshadow 1509 Rod, Suffix Tri 17lb test main line, Ande or Big Game 50lb clear mono for shock leader....and then go get Tommy Farmers (Carolina Cast Pro) DVD on Casting or better yet get personal lessons from him.

AMSA, NCBBA, OBPA, VSSA

11 hours ago, travisoneil said:

I fished a decent amount in obx and I use braid.  I was mainly asking if they use a mono or a flour leader.  

Where I fish, Dirty water, mono, clear water floro.