Jump to content

New (Used) Boat - Yamaha F40BTLR

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Purchasing a buddy’s 17-6 Lowe’s Roughneck with a Yamaha 40HP. Planned to do spark plugs, oil, oil filter, lower gear oil, fuel filter, thermostat, and water pump/impeller; but having a hard time finding out which parts to actually purchase. The F40BTLR seems to be a 2007-2008 model - not necessarily fitting the pre 2008 models or post 2008 models. 
 

Anyone have any info they could share? Buddy bought it from a friend a few years back so no documentation from him. Might try calling around local Yamaha maintenance places in tandem.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 mins ago, eastcoastbestcoast said:

Purchasing a buddy’s 17-6 Lowe’s Roughneck with a Yamaha 40HP. Planned to do spark plugs, oil, oil filter, lower gear oil, fuel filter, thermostat, and water pump/impeller; but having a hard time finding out which parts to actually purchase. The F40BTLR seems to be a 2007-2008 model - not necessarily fitting the pre 2008 models or post 2008 models. 
 

Anyone have any info they could share? Buddy bought it from a friend a few years back so no documentation from him. Might try calling around local Yamaha maintenance places in tandem.  

There is an online place called simyamaha that I have been using for years. They have been very helpful. 

And they have good pricing. I would start there. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha/outboard

 

There a chart that breaks down the yamaha codes.  F40btlr etc...  each letter stands for something . 

 

 Use the posted diagram on both years to see the difference.  

 

Usually  yamaha post the spark  plug ,gap, motor info,  info on the flywheel cover.  Take cowling off and look. 

 

Partsvu is good to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Kml said:

There is an online place called simyamaha that I have been using for years. They have been very helpful. 

And they have good pricing. I would start there. 

 

 

Kevin couldn't be more right.

 

Besides having as decent pricing on Yam parts as you'll find (yam apparently mistakes aluminum and rubber for gold), Steve at SIM is a GREAT resource.  Will steer you right, willing to spend time on the phone troubleshooting something, as I know all too well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Kml said:

There is an online place called simyamaha that I have been using for years. They have been very helpful. 

And they have good pricing. I would start there. 

 

 

5 hours ago, makorider said:

 

Kevin couldn't be more right.

 

Besides having as decent pricing on Yam parts as you'll find (yam apparently mistakes aluminum and rubber for gold), Steve at SIM is a GREAT resource.  Will steer you right, willing to spend time on the phone troubleshooting something, as I know all too well.


thanks for the recommendation! Ordered everything I needed from them earlier. Super easy process. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eastcoastbestcoast said:

 


thanks for the recommendation! Ordered everything I needed from them earlier. Super easy process. 

Glad it worked for you. 

My one experience with him that made me a customer forever. I had an '86 Yamaha Saltwater Series 150 and it had the old LED round gauges for rpm, mph, fuel, battery, etc..

The ordering of each  gauge was a little confusing and I placed an order for a mismatched pair. 

He called me and asked if the two gauges were for the same engine and that they won't work together and set my order straight before it shipped. It was an impressive display of customer service that I don't think you would get from many places and those gauges were like 700 bucks each. 

He set a very high bar on that order and I have only used them from that day until this day. 

Not to mention his pricing is great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2024 at 9:13 PM, Kml said:

Glad it worked for you. 

My one experience with him that made me a customer forever. I had an '86 Yamaha Saltwater Series 150 and it had the old LED round gauges for rpm, mph, fuel, battery, etc..

The ordering of each  gauge was a little confusing and I placed an order for a mismatched pair. 

He called me and asked if the two gauges were for the same engine and that they won't work together and set my order straight before it shipped. It was an impressive display of customer service that I don't think you would get from many places and those gauges were like 700 bucks each. 

He set a very high bar on that order and I have only used them from that day until this day. 

Not to mention his pricing is great. 

 

He once spent 20 minutes on the phone with me trouble shooting an issue with one of my HPDIs.  I thought I knew what it was based on what the diagnostic software was telling me, and was set to order a part; he talked me out of the order, walked me through what to do and how to do it.  Cost himself a sale and fixed me up, Steve is a solid guy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...