New (Used) Boat - Yamaha F40BTLR

Rate this topic

Purchasing a buddy’s 17-6 Lowe’s Roughneck with a Yamaha 40HP. Planned to do spark plugs, oil, oil filter, lower gear oil, fuel filter, thermostat, and water pump/impeller; but having a hard time finding out which parts to actually purchase. The F40BTLR seems to be a 2007-2008 model - not necessarily fitting the pre 2008 models or post 2008 models. 

Anyone have any info they could share? Buddy bought it from a friend a few years back so no documentation from him. Might try calling around local Yamaha maintenance places in tandem.  

29 mins ago, eastcoastbestcoast said:

Purchasing a buddy’s 17-6 Lowe’s Roughneck with a Yamaha 40HP. Planned to do spark plugs, oil, oil filter, lower gear oil, fuel filter, thermostat, and water pump/impeller; but having a hard time finding out which parts to actually purchase. The F40BTLR seems to be a 2007-2008 model - not necessarily fitting the pre 2008 models or post 2008 models. 

Anyone have any info they could share? Buddy bought it from a friend a few years back so no documentation from him. Might try calling around local Yamaha maintenance places in tandem.  

There is an online place called simyamaha that I have been using for years. They have been very helpful. 

And they have good pricing. I would start there. 

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha/outboard

There a chart that breaks down the yamaha codes.  F40btlr etc...  each letter stands for something . 

Use the posted diagram on both years to see the difference.  

Usually  yamaha post the spark  plug ,gap, motor info,  info on the flywheel cover.  Take cowling off and look. 

Partsvu is good to. 

17 hours ago, Kml said:

There is an online place called simyamaha that I have been using for years. They have been very helpful. 

Kevin couldn't be more right.

Besides having as decent pricing on Yam parts as you'll find (yam apparently mistakes aluminum and rubber for gold), Steve at SIM is a GREAT resource.  Will steer you right, willing to spend time on the phone troubleshooting something, as I know all too well.

22 hours ago, Kml said:

5 hours ago, makorider said:

Kevin couldn't be more right.

Besides having as decent pricing on Yam parts as you'll find (yam apparently mistakes aluminum and rubber for gold), Steve at SIM is a GREAT resource.  Will steer you right, willing to spend time on the phone troubleshooting something, as I know all too well.

thanks for the recommendation! Ordered everything I needed from them earlier. Super easy process. 

1 hour ago, eastcoastbestcoast said:

thanks for the recommendation! Ordered everything I needed from them earlier. Super easy process. 

Glad it worked for you. 

My one experience with him that made me a customer forever. I had an '86 Yamaha Saltwater Series 150 and it had the old LED round gauges for rpm, mph, fuel, battery, etc..

The ordering of each  gauge was a little confusing and I placed an order for a mismatched pair. 

He called me and asked if the two gauges were for the same engine and that they won't work together and set my order straight before it shipped. It was an impressive display of customer service that I don't think you would get from many places and those gauges were like 700 bucks each. 

He set a very high bar on that order and I have only used them from that day until this day. 

Not to mention his pricing is great. 

On 2/28/2024 at 9:13 PM, Kml said:

Glad it worked for you. 

My one experience with him that made me a customer forever. I had an '86 Yamaha Saltwater Series 150 and it had the old LED round gauges for rpm, mph, fuel, battery, etc..

The ordering of each  gauge was a little confusing and I placed an order for a mismatched pair. 

He called me and asked if the two gauges were for the same engine and that they won't work together and set my order straight before it shipped. It was an impressive display of customer service that I don't think you would get from many places and those gauges were like 700 bucks each. 

He set a very high bar on that order and I have only used them from that day until this day. 

Not to mention his pricing is great. 

He once spent 20 minutes on the phone with me trouble shooting an issue with one of my HPDIs.  I thought I knew what it was based on what the diagnostic software was telling me, and was set to order a part; he talked me out of the order, walked me through what to do and how to do it.  Cost himself a sale and fixed me up, Steve is a solid guy