Herring

Rate this topic

burkie

3 hours ago, bdowning said:

Saw the sign board. Checked Brewster this afternoon and there were about a dozen herring below the road.

Still nothing at Wareham. No ospreys. Water at the Elks shack was charging downstream like Victoria Falls. :shaky: Doubt I could see anything even if they were in. Didn't check Middleboro but I'm sure it's going full.tilt. 

I saw a few in the pool below the dam. They were in the corner. Hard to see how many there was but definitely saw some. Also saw a lone  osprey. I was there thought 4pm. I caught a little 2lbs bass off the dam. 

Edited by bassturds

55 mins ago, bdowning said:

See any suckers? They should be showing up soon.

I took a peak up in Middlesex County yesterday. I wasn't there to look for them specifically but took a look while I was there. Surprisingly none. Stream is in good shape and timing seemed right. Usually there's remains along the bank where the critters been eating them. Didn't even see that.

On 3/18/2024 at 6:20 PM, mikez2 said:

Do you think the heavy flow holds them back? I'm ignorant of how the herring runs work. I've never paid close attention or visited more than a couple times ever. 

IMO no. I counted for the NSRWA for about 5 years. High water, low water, they showed around the same time every year. Much harder to count in high water though...

F TOMBO

Made the rounds today:

Pilgrim Lake (Orleans): Maybe 20 herring in the pool below the ladder. The sign hasn't been updated since March 16.

Eastham: Nothing in either run 

Brewster Stony Brook: 100-200 in the big pool below the road and many more coming up. 

Wareham Elks: The river is raging even higher than before, but the pool below the ladder is full of herring and lots more coming up. Hard to gauge numbers in all the whitewater. Three ospreys are keeping careful watch. :cool:

Middleboro: Haven't been here in 2-3 weeks. Tons of herring below the falls and the lower part of the ladder but in the past I've seen a lot more there at this time of year.

Pix to follow...

Pfantum Pfishah

46 mins ago, bdowning said:

Made the rounds today:

Pilgrim Lake (Orleans): Maybe 20 herring in the pool below the ladder. The sign hasn't been updated since March 16.

Eastham: Nothing in either run 

Brewster Stony Brook: 100-200 in the big pool below the road and many more coming up. 

Wareham Elks: The river is raging even higher than before, but the pool below the ladder is full of herring and lots more coming up. Hard to gauge numbers in all the whitewater. Three ospreys are keeping careful watch. :cool:

Middleboro: Haven't been here in 2-3 weeks. Tons of herring below the falls and the lower part of the ladder but in the past I've seen a lot more there at this time of year.

Pix to follow...

You put on some miles there.