Slammer IV 3500 DX noise

Rate this topic

LI_Angler

Received my brand new Slammer IV 3500 DX last week.  Spooled it up with 20# X9 braid.  Took it out for a trial run today just to check it out and noticed a somewhat pronounced 'whirring' sound upon line retrieve.   Left after about 15 casts.  I did not hear the sound when I first opened and tried out the reel to insure it was working, e. g. - drag knob adjustment working, bail flip, reeling with empty spool, etc. I do not recall hearing the sound when spooling line onto the reel either, but my line spooling set up is kind of noisy.  To try and isolate it, I removed my leader, took the reel off the rod and cranked it.  I got no such noise which would indicate to me the line roller as the source.  I have a larger model Slammer IV (not DX) and did not experience this on that reel. I have had situations with other reels where I needed to dissemble, clean and lube the line roller due to noise, but only after significant use.

So my question before I go back to the seller is if anyone knows if the line roller (Hydrophobic Line Roller Bearing) is supposed to be that noisy or is it an indication of a problem or defect.

Bit of a long explanation but thanks for reading and for any feedback you have.  I will also post this in the Penn forum for their input

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."   -- A.K. Best --

I have a Slammer IV 6500 and it dosen't make noise. I have a Battle III DX 4500, It dosent make any noise.  I would put your post on the Penn forum. One of the Penn Factory reps like Tony should be able to tell you . Tight lines.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

5 mins ago, Skin said:

That is an issue seen on any reel with a ball bearing in the roller. Though not when new. If it is bad when new, it will not get better.

The reels I have with bearings in the roller. When using them often I oil them every 3 to 4 outings .  I do all my reels that way, sometimes every 2 outings. You have to keep them oiled. 

Disassembled, cleaned and lubed the line roller with particular attention to the bearing.  Once reassembled It seemed better, but I won't know for sure until I get a chance to get out and try a few casts and see if the noise has decreased or is gone.  I did notice was that the screw holding the line roller assembly was extremely tight.  It took some doing to loosen it so I could remove it.  Also, there was less lubrication than I like to see but that could just be personal preference. There were also some minor scratches on the top of the line roller bearing.  I will probably ask Penn to send me a replacement bearing under warranty coverage even if the line roller seems okay now.

Thanks for your feedback.

1 min ago, LI_Angler said:

Disassembled, cleaned and lubed the line roller with particular attention to the bearing.  Once reassembled It seemed better, but I won't know for sure until I get a chance to get out and try a few casts and see if the noise has decreased or is gone.  I did notice was that the screw holding the line roller assembly was extremely tight.  It took some doing to loosen it so I could remove it.  Also, there was less lubrication than I like to see but that could just be personal preference. There were also some minor scratches on the top of the line roller bearing.  I will probably ask Penn to send me a replacement bearing under warranty coverage even if the line roller seems okay now.

Thanks for your feedback.

Keep the screw tight. There shouldn't be any scratches on the bearing. Tight  line's. 

Got out this morning to try a few casts with different lures to try and create some different pressures on the line roller.  In my opinion, the issue is resolved.  I made sure the line roller screw was snug and heard no unusual noise from the line roller.  Had it performed like this out of the box, I would not have been concerned.  I am now ready to go for when the weather and water are warm enough for my old bones to tolerate it. :)

Thanks again for the feedback and advice.

36 mins ago, LI_Angler said:

Got out this morning to try a few casts with different lures to try and create some different pressures on the line roller.  In my opinion, the issue is resolved.  I made sure the line roller screw was snug and heard no unusual noise from the line roller.  Had it performed like this out of the box, I would not have been concerned.  I am now ready to go for when the weather and water are warm enough for my old bones to tolerate it. :)

Thanks again for the feedback and advice.

Glad to hear you fixed the problem. Remember to keep the screw tight, and oil the roller often . also remember it's easy to remove the bail trip and make it a manual bail. I did it on all my Penn spinners except my 704 Z. 

Edited by hunter123

I have been considering converting to manual. I did that on a Penn Clash but felt like it introduced a wobble in the rotor with which I was uncomfortable. Per Penn, this is done on the Clash by removing the trip lever. I suppose that removal was enough to induce the wobble, so I have since put the lever back and the wobble is gone.

For the Slammer IV, Penn indicated that disabling the auto bail trip function can be done by removing the Body Slope, which is not part of the rotor. I assume therefore that this modification would not induce any wobble since this is a static part, but I am not likely to attempt it since I have not (yet) been the victim of inadvertent bail trips. Time will tell :).

On a side note, it is great being able to exchange ideas, experience and advice with other SOL members since many are far more experienced than I.  I came to fishing later in life than most.  Also great response and support from Penn reps via their forum on SOL.

3 mins ago, LI_Angler said:

Our discussion and your experience and advice may just convince me to give it a go.  If I proceed, I'll let you know how it goes.

Great. I'm no mechanic.  If I  can do it ,any one can. Just look at the schematic for the reel. Tight lines.