Tamiami trail

Heading to the Everglades for a week or so. Always wanted to try this sweet / salt excursion.  Just wondering if anyone has some input on what to expect.  Mostly intrested in fly fishing but I  will have a spinning rod and plan to use it also. Watched many tube videos and have familiarized myself with the target areas. Looks like a blast. I have several days booked for Tarpon with Ren Stanley and am staying in Everglades city.  Ya hoo!

My limited experience with the trail, has been that this area has changed a lot in just the past few years… many of the popular and easier access areas have been beat up and pounded beyond recognition. Expect to have to get off the beaten path a bit and think outside the box to get into the fish that haven’t been pressured.   Don’t go on a weekend if you can avoid. Lots of migrants, and reckless behavior, people throwing cast nets etc… it’s a shame really. 

Enjoy yourself! Have friend who lives in that area and has a blast every time he goes out, fly rod only. Pretty color snook anywhere ( sunlight yellow and orange) , watch for alligators! He’s 80 and no problems with people other than weekend numbers of guys fishing and parking gets short. Inside the glades it’s wide open

19 hours ago, TJones said:

My limited experience with the trail, has been that this area has changed a lot in just the past few years… many of the popular and easier access areas have been beat up and pounded beyond recognition. Expect to have to get off the beaten path a bit and think outside the box to get into the fish that haven’t been pressured.   Don’t go on a weekend if you can avoid. Lots of migrants, and reckless behavior, people throwing cast nets etc… it’s a shame really. 

Seems that this is more common now just about everywhere. Sad , I am hoping the further from Miami the better it will be. 

4 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Seems that this is more common now just about everywhere. Sad , I am hoping the further from Miami the better it will be. 

Agreed, I think you’ll find that to be the case… I suspect the timing of your trip to be quite good!! Wish I was headed down right now… Good luck and enjoy!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Snook and Peacock Bass!

Question is the trail the pull off on Route 41?

For some reason I was originally thinking it was 75 but doesn't seem like much opportunity to pull over there.