LED headlight replacement

horsefly

5 hours ago, horsefly said:

Anyone have any experience or opinion on replacing stock headlights with LED's. Think it is worth the money and effort? Was just thinking of dark drives down to the beach thru deer country.  Thanks

Depends on the brightness of the bulb. You sometimes have to get a converter or what ever it's called. Some LED's are so strong they can melt the plastic lens on the headlight. Plus the big thing is driving the beach with bright lights on. Not a good thing to do to other fisherman. They will hate you for that. It's not good to shine bright lights on the beach. I use my fog lamps if it's a little foggy , most times I just use my regular beams, never high beam.  Besides it looks stupid to other surf fisherman to see a truck lit up like a moon rover. If you dicide to do it get some one who know's about putting led light's in a truck. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

Thanks for the reply. My lights now are sort of yellow, so maybe I should just go with a whiter halogen. As far as driving the beach at nite, when I do I only use my fogs. Been on the beach when someone comes down with bright lights on so I know it's really not the thing to do. I did not know about the Lense melting, good to know. Thanks

1 min ago, horsefly said:

Thanks for the reply. My lights now are sort of yellow, so maybe I should just go with a whiter halogen. As far as driving the beach at nite, when I do I only use my fogs. Been on the beach when someone comes down with bright lights on so I know it's really not the thing to do. I did not know about the Lense melting, good to know. Thanks

Yeah , I was told by a mechanic about guy's putting in these super bright LED that caused the problem. Im no expert. But that's what I would do, go with a white halogen. As soon as my bulbs go on my Jeep, that's what I'm putting in. Problem is the Jeeps 11 years old and on tge original bulbs. Tight lines. 

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

For the love of god, DON'T. There are already too many vehicles on the road with improperly retrofitted headlamps from fleabay that blind the **** out of oncoming drivers at nighttime. Stick to stock head lamps and get some good bulbs like the silver stars as someone recommended.

And PLEASE learn how to adjust and aim your headlamps properly...

Edited by JAL

Well after all the responses and some more research I think I will just either stay with what I have or go with the Sylvanias. I too hate the blinding lights at night, so why add to it. I also understand that some of the LED bulbs do not last long, at least not as long as the Halogen. Who knows.  Thanks again to all.

I recently replaced the original headlights in a 2006 Dakota with LED assemblies and coudn't be happier. After 20 years the original headlights had fogged over to the point where trying to polish them up yet again simply wasn't working anymore.  My fog lights did a better job of lighting than the headlights. 

If you just replace the stock bulbs with LEDs you can risk over heating the original lenses so you are best off simply replacing the entire assembly. Of course when LEDs go bad you are looking at replacing the entire assembly again rather than just a bulb. The wiring for LEDs is also a little different so you are not really looking at a plug and play scenario. You will be doing some wire splicing to get exactly what you want. 

There was very little headlight adjusting needed and the LEDs (that I got) are not super bright but I can finally see again at night which is huge.  Definitely worth the price of the new lights (maybe $175? for both). 

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

If you spend the money on something like Morimoto LED replacement headlights they won't be blinding to other drivers , like putting LEDS in a light that isn't designed for it does. I follow a guy in AK on YT, he was scraping the ice off of his LED aux lights at 60 below in a blizzard.:(

Some aftermarket LEDS are heated to prevent ice up.

Edited by Jetty Jumper

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Jeff Cooper

“We seem to be moving steadily in the direction of a society where no one is responsible for what he himself did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did, either in the present or in the past.”
― Thomas Sowell

17 hours ago, Jetty Jumper said:

If you spend the money on something like Morimoto LED replacement headlights they won't be blinding to other drivers , like putting LEDS in a light that isn't designed for it does. I follow a guy in AK on YT, he was scraping the ice off of his LED aux lights at 60 below in a blizzard.:(

Some aftermarket LEDS are heated to prevent ice up.

I think “Truck-Lites” offer the heated LEDs… But you’re only able to get them in a few configurations.. I was thinking of getting the replacement Truck-Lites or Hollys for my ‘86 Samurai’s sealed beams… Living in SO Cal, I don’t need to worry about the de-icers…

Butch

• 2 weeks later...

Did you look into the auxiliary light bars that get mounted low around bumper height. You don’t use them on the road and off road angle them a little downward not to illuminate beyond you driving speed 

On 2/29/2024 at 3:22 PM, Midnightpass said:

I think “Truck-Lites” offer the heated LEDs… But you’re only able to get them in a few configurations.. I was thinking of getting the replacement Truck-Lites or Hollys for my ‘86 Samurai’s sealed beams… Living in SO Cal, I don’t need to worry about the de-icers…

Butch

This thread caught my eye because I have been thinking about replacing my YUP, "Sylvania Stars" with LED direct replacements. The Truck Lites seem to only be made for heavy trucks. Tractor trailer combos etc. I wanted to replace my bulbs for the same reason the OP did. But in the opposite direction. Getting to rural fishing areas without collecting venison along the way. Friends have used the bulbs from some company named after a river, and with great results. Yeah, I learned to adjust headlights a long long long time ago, and can use the targets in a friends shop. I have been wondering though if direct replacement of the fixtures may be the way to go. I wont be keeping this truck too much longer, so I don't want to invest in a push bar or something to mount additional LED lighting on.

BTW I found my Sylvania Stars to be not much of an improvement. Price wise they were ok. Not a whole lot more $$ over stock bulbs.

Let me start by saying I was critic number one when it comes to being blinded by oncoming LEDs that are misaligned or poorly designed. Some LEDs project light 360 degrees and when they light up the reflectors in the headlight, it is uncontrolled and blinding to oncoming traffic. Not to mention that half the idiots driving the newer cars have no idea they are on high beams to boot...

My vehicle; 2011 Tahoe. Ordered high and low beams from Sealight, online. Get what you pay for, so don't cheap out. Paid $125 in December. Their bulbs have diodes on opposite sides, so when installed properly, the diodes are at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Adjusted against garage door and they were straight ahead and to the right just so slightly. But the 3 and 9 o'clock design kept from reflecting up from the OEM reflector inside the headlight unit.  They are great. Bright. And after testing them by driving the other way in our other car, I can tell you no one has flicked their hi beams at me in protest.

Now the high beams did not want to seat properly. They are a PITA to change out in the Tahoe and it was December, so the old halogen highs are still in there and have yet to be used since the low beam LEDs were installed. When I contacted Sealight about the difficulty with the high beams, they refunded me $45 and did not want them sent back. So I will attempt to install them in warmer weather. Just my teo cents after having been the biggest whiner about LEDs blinding me...