Lox in the smoker

Rate this topic

Do you just fully smoke it, does it stay pink and moist like that ?

I’ve always salt cured my lox, though I do put a dash of liquid smoke in with the kosher salt, dill & white pepper. Takes about a week in the fridge to fully cure, but it’s well worth the wait.. :)

7 hours ago, yooVinny said:

Do you just fully smoke it, does it stay pink and moist like that ?

I’ve always salt cured my lox, though I do put a dash of liquid smoke in with the kosher salt, dill & white pepper. Takes about a week in the fridge to fully cure, but it’s well worth the wait.. :)

A week is too long for me.  I mix half and half kosher salt with brown sugar(sugar in raw), sprinkle  pepper and garlic powder on it and then lay the salt mix in a large sheet of saran wrap. Put fresh dill all over the salt.then lay the fish flesh side down on the salt and dill, wrap it tight but leave one end open for draining, thick end usually. Lay it in a rack thats elevated on an angle in a pan and put some weight  on it. Usually overnight to 24 hours..we like it drier but if you like it moister then less than 24 hrs... the moisture drains out the open end and ends up pooling in the pan..  i go by feel so if its mushy i let it sit longer...then i pull it out and rinse it up to half hour to get salt out...i taste a piece from middle and if its good then i pat it all dry and season it with more garlic powder,  pepper,  dry dill, and parsley and put it in fridge to form a pellicle.   I cold smoke in the grille   using a smoke tube so the temp never  goes warm so it doesnt make bacteria. I like heavy smoking so i go about an hour with pecan and apple and cherry... in the smoke tube i fill it with the chips and put a small flat piece of lump coal in the end and let it ignite the wood as it burns...doesn't make a hot smoke.

Its not smoked, its cured and cold smoked...always pink like raw but not cooked.

Edited by Baccigalup
I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!

Very interesting, thank you for such a detailed response. Your procedure is actually very close to my salt cure, except for time length and your final smoking step. I take it the effect is more like just a dry brining before smoking then an actual salt curing. When I’ve smoked salmon in the past, I’ve basically done the same overnight brining, but have always used a wet brine rather than the dry. 
One thing I like about the full salt cure for Lox is the firm consistency of the final product, which turns out almost like a block of cheddar cheese and allows you to shave it into very thin slices. That and it can be stored much longer term just in the refrigerator, without needing to be frozen instead. My smoked salmon has always had a much softer and flaky consistency by comparison, but it sounds like I’m also probably smoking at a higher temp than your cold smoke. I don’t think I could even duplicate your cold smoke technique in my electric smoker as it’s fixed temp, on or off.

16 hours ago, yooVinny said:

Very interesting, thank you for such a detailed response. Your procedure is actually very close to my salt cure, except for time length and your final smoking step. I take it the effect is more like just a dry brining before smoking then an actual salt curing. When I’ve smoked salmon in the past, I’ve basically done the same overnight brining, but have always used a wet brine rather than the dry. 
One thing I like about the full salt cure for Lox is the firm consistency of the final product, which turns out almost like a block of cheddar cheese and allows you to shave it into very thin slices. That and it can be stored much longer term just in the refrigerator, without needing to be frozen instead. My smoked salmon has always had a much softer and flaky consistency by comparison, but it sounds like I’m also probably smoking at a higher temp than your cold smoke. I don’t think I could even duplicate your cold smoke technique in my electric smoker as it’s fixed temp, on or off.

You cant  use the electric smoker for cold smoke but with a smoke tube you can use anything, even a cardboard box. There is no reason you couldnt cold smoke in your electric with just a tube.   I use my regular grille to cold smoke because its large enough to keep the salmon away from the tube and avoid the heat from the burning embers.  But really the salmon is cured before smoking and ready to eat as lox, just not nova lox. Its way too salty so i have to soak it for a bit to get that salt out.but its a dry consistency to cut very thin and fully cured.  Ill snap some pics tomorrow when i cut some more up..

I really stopped using the electric smoker since i got my komodo joe.  Ill use the electric for eels so they hang but i prefer the komodo for smoking meats and cooking steaks.  I find the electric gets too hot for low temp smoking and i can never get the smoke to work correctly unless im smoking over 225..but it is great for larger meals where i need more room like a few racks of ribs or alot of fish.  Believe it or not, blues come out awesome smoked, but you wouldnt want to eat them any other way.  

Try salt curing a nice small venison roast the same way then smoking it to about 125.....its like eating candy.

I would love to try smoking some eels. The smoked eel is my absolute favorite type of sushi. Wish I knew where to catch some near here in S.E. PA, but I’ve only lived here a short time now and haven’t acquired that knowledge as of yet. I’ve tried smoking bluefish to good effect, even tried doing some mackerel. The mackerel was partially good, but came out with a thin, soft, gray layer between the good and the skin which was kind of nasty.
Unfortunately I also have alpha-gal or red meat allergy from the damn ticks and can’t eat venison or any red meat anymore. No more back strap kabobs wrapped in bacon for me, so I just quit hunting altogether a few years ago.. :(

6 mins ago, yooVinny said:

I would love to try smoking some eels. The smoked eel is my absolute favorite type of sushi. Wish I knew where to catch some near here in S.E. PA, but I’ve only lived here a short time now and haven’t acquired that knowledge as of yet. I’ve tried smoking bluefish to good effect, even tried doing some mackerel. The mackerel was partially good, but came out with a thin, soft, gray layer between the good and the skin which was kind of nasty.
Unfortunately I also have alpha-gal or red meat allergy from the damn ticks and can’t eat venison or any red meat anymore. No more back strap kabobs wrapped in bacon for me, so I just quit hunting altogether a few years ago.. :(

Giving a like for the smoked eels not the AG allergy, that sucks. BIL used to do the smoked eels, caught them in the farm ponds of the landlord.

2 hours ago, yooVinny said:

That sucks.  What happens when you eat red meat?

5 hours ago, Baccigalup said:
5 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

That sucks.  What happens when you eat red meat?

I get an allergic anaphylactic reaction. Actually it’s a delayed reaction and the only delayed one they know of. It dosent usually happen until a few hours after I’ve eaten something to trigger it. The severity of that reaction varies with type and quantity of what I ate. A cheese burger would send me to the emergency room by ambulance, blacked out, hardly breathing with my heart trying to do 500rpm and paramedics thinking I’m having a heart attack. That scene actually played out 3 times in the few years it took them to figure out what I had going on. It sucks pretty bad, but I’ve had it since 2011 and have gotten pretty used to dealing with it now. Watch out for those ticks !!