Slammer or Spinfisher. Size?

Rate this topic

JimKu

I'm looking to replace my very old Penn Spinfisher 5500SS. It's on an airwave elite 8 1/2' rod. It's my all around rod that I use very often. Fish from shore casting 1/4 to 2oz mostly. The reel is actually still working fine and has handled a lot of fish and some good sized ones too. 

I was thinking about going to the 4500 size. Will I loose some casting distance from the 5500? I'm using 15lb braid. 

I checked out the 4500 slammer, spinfisher, and comparible size saltist, and saragossa at a store. Also checked out some higher end reels but those are overkill for what I use it for. Just hand held and not on rod. 

I was leaning toward staying with penn. All reels felt great. I liked the spinfisher the best since it seemed a little more compact and lighter than the other reels. 

I've read all the differences between the slammer and spinfisher. The one spec that I'm not sure about is the drag. The slammer 4500 has a 30lb max drag and the spinnfisher has I believe 25lb. I'm not sure if that is an issue. 

3 mins ago, GoneCoastal said:

3500 spinfisher on that style rod for me. Light, kinda sealed and has a smooth drag. I wouldn’t go 4500 unless the rod is tip heavy and you need a heavier reel to balance it out. I run one on a custom 8 foot rated the same. 

I’m with you.

If you can get your hands on the 3500 slammer DX version that would be a sweet little combo. I know I’ve seen some deals on the previous model Spinfisher around too, so that’s pretty hard to pass up for the value there. The 4500 Spinfisher is also noticeably lighter than the 4500 slammer so also something to think about. I’d probably stick at the 3500 slammer or the Spinfisher 4500 depending on your budget.

1 hour ago, GoneCoastal said:

3500 spinfisher on that style rod for me. Light, kinda sealed and has a smooth drag. I wouldn’t go 4500 unless the rod is tip heavy and you need a heavier reel to balance it out. I run one on a custom 8 foot rated the same. 

Exactly right..............although, i'd apt for that surf indestructible Slammer 3500!!  :th:

Going from the old SS series 5500 to a new 4500 imo is the way to go. The new reels cast braid better than the old ones so you will most likely see an improvement there. I would not go smaller. 

Edited by redfin

I agree with the 4500 recommendation. I've been using both the Spinfisher and Slammer in the 4500 and 5500 sizes ... generally downsize to the 4500. Noticibly lighter setup.

I've been able to find really good deals on the used market for both the Spinfisher (V and VI) and the Slammer (III) ... get the Slammer if you have a choice. A bit more water resistant.

I like the Spinfisher VII. I have a couple of Spinfisher VI on a few rods. I love them, don't worry about the drag #. It's a smoothe reel. I take out all the bail trips on my Penn's to make them manual. It's an easy job. Reels are easy to maintain. I have a few Slammers and the Spinfisher's do pretty much the same job.  I use 3500 Penns on my 9' rods I uae for Whiting and Pomps. 4500 size till I get to 11' and 12. rods. Then 5500 and 6500 size. All Penns.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

I just got a Slammer IV 3500 DX for my 8-1/2 ft Saltx rod.   Haven't tried it yet but it is spooled and mounted. Feels well balanced and should be robust and versatile enough for my needs.

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."   -- A.K. Best --

On 2/22/2024 at 8:45 PM, JimKu said:

The one spec that I'm not sure about is the drag. The slammer 4500 has a 30lb max drag and the spinnfisher has I believe 25lb. I'm not sure if that is an issue. 

it is not.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.