Repower time… looking for some advice

Rate this topic

Hi folks,

It’s time to replace the 250hp OX66. Boat is a 2001 cc that I really like. Got a thumbs up from a survey last year. Gonna repower.

I really don’t want to drop $30k on a new motor.

A motor guy has a 2005 Yamaha F250 with 450 hours. It came off a 23’ regulator. It was the only motor.

He wants $8k with controls and gauges.

What do you think?

I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

(*edited - member formerly known as 'windknot')

Doug, whatever your thoughts, have that thing scoped for the dry exaust corrosion in the mid-section, unless they have proof its allready been replaced.  I think that size/year is one of the problem children if I'm not mistaken

Thats almost too little use IMO....23 hrs/year.  Low hours are nice, on the flip side mechanical things that run regularly tend to run better.

No idea on the price but sounds in the ballpark at first sniff

C'mon, throw one of those new naturally aspirated Mercs on that Rambo.  Its only money lol

Edited by makorider

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Yea, I wouldn’t spend a dime before understanding what I have with the mis-section corrosion situation. The low hours are concerning. The fella who purchased the Regulator is repowering. I would be purchasing the motor off a used motor dealer who was referred by a guy I trust who is a certified Yamaha mechanic at Gateway.

THT seems to love the Mercury’s. I just got a quote from Lockwood. Merc 250 (not Verado) $32k installed with all the trimmings and new fuel lines.

Edit: and yes, that’s a bit pricey for a 2005.

Edited by Lagerhead

I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

32K huh?  Oooph.  I pray my HPDIs keep hummin...please god.

Like Bergall said, take a look at the Suzi's.  Based on your quote I'm thinking the numbers might just look significantly better.  Then again, who knows after the past 30 months.  A friend/client is a dealer on Princeton Ave in Brick.  PM me if you want to call him personally, he's a good guy, I'll give you his cell and tell him to expect a call if you want.

Is the engine dead or can you limp it a long a bit? Id bet around may your options would be better in the used market. If you call around to a few places, they might cut a deal on a leftover 2023.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

Ok so if the guy sold the boat and the new owner wants to repower that makes sense. you could check this one out and it could be a win. That vintage had the exhaust problem and if you clear that it could be a decent deal. How many hours do you put on the boat?

19 hours ago, Lagerhead said:

Hi folks,

It’s time to replace the 250hp OX66. Boat is a 2001 cc that I really like. Got a thumbs up from a survey last year. Gonna repower.

I really don’t want to drop $30k on a new motor.

A motor guy has a 2005 Yamaha F250 with 450 hours. It came off a 23’ regulator. It was the only motor.

He wants $8k with controls and gauges.

What do you think?

Earlier 2000 -10? yamaha had exhaust issues like stated. Powerhead will need pulled to replace . Even when repaired the powrhead side gets eating up . 

Regardless  of hr and yr  mother nature is still  taken its course. I rather have a motor being used Dailey then siting.it atleast is getting moving  water and it oil pressure weekly.   

You need to watch your weight on your transom coming from that light ass v6 2 stroke to an heavier v6 fourstroke.  You might need to move batteries off the transom and move them forward.  Now this will need bigger battery  cables. 

Plus you will need to change all gas lines and pump tank.  

The guy selling the 2005 F250 is willing pull the lower unit to inspect for corrosion. As 757 has mentioned, the top end should also be inspected. I see similar concerns on THT. 

The F250 is around 50 lbs heavier than the existing motor. Batteries are in the front of my console.

Good comments. Thanks for responding.

Edit: the new Mercury 250 is about 4 pounds heavier than the OX66. Boat prices are really insane. That and the point that I really like this boat will justify the cost even if I go with a new motor.

Edited by Lagerhead

Would it be worth it to go to the AC show to see if I can get a deal on a motor?

19 hours ago, makorider said:

Doug, whatever your thoughts, have that thing scoped for the dry exaust corrosion in the mid-section, unless they have proof its allready been replaced.  I think that size/year is one of the problem children if I'm not mistaken.

That sounds right.

I know folks who lost their engines due to that problem, and they bought their boats in he early 2000s, some very possibly 2005.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

35 mins ago, Lagerhead said:

Would it be worth it to go to the AC show to see if I can get a deal on a motor?

Good question.

Curious if boat purchases and repowers have slowed at all given interest rates and general economy.  Maybe someone is hungry.  Then again...reppower....maybe not?

I PMd you.  Ask him the same

48 mins ago, Lagerhead said:

The guy selling the 2005 F250 is willing pull the lower unit to inspect for corrosion. As 757 has mentioned, the top end should also be inspected. I see similar concerns on THT. 

The F250 is around 50 lbs heavier than the existing motor. Batteries are in the front of my console.

Good comments. Thanks for responding.

Edit: the new Mercury 250 is about 4 pounds heavier than the OX66. Boat prices are really insane. That and the point that I really like this boat will justify the cost even if I go with a new motor.

Yep.

costs are insane.  Thats why you need to take care of your chit.  Repower if you must.  I tell my kids that, like a Viking, I'm getting buried in the Mako