Rainshadow sw1088/1089

Rate this topic

TimSF

I know there’s no such thing, but I’m looking into building one of these two built as a “one rod” solution for the pier/jetty. I really Want a 1088 but I’m not sure if it can actually handle the full 1-4 oz range. 1.5 oz plugs are a must and a 3ish oz cobia jig is also a must. I have a whip/snap style cast if that helps. 

I’ll be pairing it with a vsx250

1088 is about as all around as it gets for a 9 footer.... I need to replace one.  FWIW it is not going to be handling 4 oz as well as you would like. You can really lay into it up to 3-3.25 in my experience.

Let me know where you find your blank. I dropped the ball ordering from CMS before they closed...

29 mins ago, nightfighter said:

1088 is about as all around as it gets for a 9 footer.... I need to replace one.  FWIW it is not going to be handling 4 oz as well as you would like. You can really lay into it up to 3-3.25 in my experience.

Let me know where you find your blank. I dropped the ball ordering from CMS before they closed...

My buddy who wraps most of my stuff is awesome and I’m lucky enough to get a call when he gets his hands on good blanks.

by laying into 3.25, you mean casting as hard as you can? If that’s the case I’m probably sold on the 1088. I remember My old 1089 being such a broom stick and throwing anything under 2 sucked.

Yes. You understood that correctly. Let me know where you get the blank, price, etc. Where are you located? I am northshore of Boston.

I was laying into a cast with a 2.5 oz pencil into a building NE blow and caught the plug on a wrecked lobster pot that was behind me..... It was loud! And it was pilot error.....

10 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Yes. You understood that correctly. Let me know where you get the blank, price, etc. Where are you located? I am northshore of Boston.

I was laying into a cast with a 2.5 oz pencil into a building NE blow and caught the plug on a wrecked lobster pot that was behind me..... It was loud! And it was pilot error.....

Im in South Florida. My builder got them from a friend of his. I could see about maybe having one shipped up your way but that’s going to be unbelievably expensive. 

sorry to hear about your 1088’s untimely demise. I was fishing a jetty a couple years ago and some idiot snagged my lure while i was casting. I think we’ve heard the same loud noise. Probably felt the same heartbreak that immediately follows too. 

the 1089 is a beast, definitely not going to throw 1.5 well, or have any sensitivity when you're trying to work a lure that light.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

26 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

the 1089 is a beast, definitely not going to throw 1.5 well, or have any sensitivity when you're trying to work a lure that light.

Yeah i remember how hard mine was to load with anything under 2 or 2.5. Which also reminded me of why I got rid of it lol. I decided on the 1088. I feel like I’ll be throwing the lower end far more often anyway. Haven’t used that blank before so I’m pretty excited  

SW1088/ SW1208 is one of my favorite all around blanks. Extremely durable and sensitive. Not a 2x4 like the "9"s. Easier to cast and not as tiring to fish. Gone are the days of me jigging the canal with a 1209 and nauitil. To old for that. 

You can't go wrong with the 8 in spin or conv wrap. I also missed the boat when CMS closed. 

On 2/22/2024 at 4:31 PM, nightfighter said:

Food for thought... pretty sure the 7'10 SW968 is the same blank, just 14" shorter in the rear.  Easy enough to extend and save the insane shipping.   ...just a thought