El Salvador fishing

Rate this topic

Skin

Been looking for somewhere besides FL with direct flights to visit in the winter.

El Salvador is apparently now the safest country in the western hemisphere. Airport is next to ocean. Tons of daily non stops from my area, typically for the same or less $ than FL.

I always wanted to see an active volcano (they have many).

Love pupusas.

Any diy fishing opportunities?

Edited by Skin

Don't know about fishing, but love me some seafood pupusas.

A quick Google search shows roosters, king macks and snook as options.  As with any DIY, alot will probably hinge on safe access to productive waters.  There also appears to be guided penga trips that fiah nearshore and a vibrant offshore scene.

3 mins ago, Skin said:

Last year the country went 204 days without a homicide. It is a bit crazy, but it is considered much safer than the US.

Sounds good to me. Which part of the country is the most accessible for surf  fishing . Northern part looks really wild. 

I am starting from zero here lol

-saw pic of volcano (imagine Lord of the Rings)

-checked Google flights (RT cheaper to El Salvador than Miami)

-looked at map of airport (next to water)

-looked up per capita (under $5K) and safety (off the charts)

-looked up beaches (most are too rocky for tourists)

got REAL curious

I am happy just to eventually show up with my Daiwa 10’ travel rod and throw poppers at the waves, but figured to ask here.

Edited by Skin

22 mins ago, z-man said:

Safe? San Salvador used to have the highest murder rate in the world. Did all the bad people migrate to the US?

Idk about safe but…the president down there basically threw everyone that was even remotely considered a criminal into jail without a trial. Somewhere between 2-4% of the adult male population. So it may be a lot safer than it was..

44 mins ago, OnlyDinks said:

Idk about safe but…the president down there basically threw everyone that was even remotely considered a criminal into jail without a trial. Somewhere between 2-4% of the adult male population. So it may be a lot safer than it was..

I’m sure there are plenty of new criminals to take their place. 

2 hours ago, Skin said:

I am starting from zero here lol

-saw pic of volcano (imagine Lord of the Rings)

-checked Google flights (RT cheaper to El Salvador than Miami)

-looked at map of airport (next to water)

-looked up per capita (under $5K) and safety (off the charts)

-looked up beaches (most are too rocky for tourists)

got REAL curious

I am happy just to eventually show up with my Daiwa 10’ travel rod and throw poppers at the waves, but figured to ask here.

I think that I'd check the State Department website to make sure about the safety.  I do that whenever I go out of the country.  It provides a good assessment of possible risks, and provides some ideas on how to avoid them.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams