Gift for Pops (looking for light weight salt spinning reel)

Rate this topic

Ben217

Hello everyone - as the title suggests I’m looking for a lightweight salt ready spinning reel for my dad. He hurt his shoulder a bit ago so casting all day as you can imagine isn’t as fun as it used to be. We recently got into Wade fishing in St. Petersburg (shoutout to @aquaholik for the tips and amazing help last year) and would love some dedicated gear for that application. Would love something a little on the more hardy size as my dad doesn’t clean his gear too often but I’m trying to make a habit of it. Something that can handle some nice inshore fish down south, reds snook. Maybe even use it for some schoolies up here in mass. Either way would love some suggestions on any reels that come to mind.

Thanks for taking a look at the post,

-Ben 

All depends on what you want to spend Ben, but Daiwa, Shimano and Penn all offer what you are looking for in dependable, inexpensive and moderately priced models.  I'm personally more partial to Daiwa and I'd look at their BG and Ballistic reels in a 4000 size for what you described.  Compare those to other manufacturers.  The quality of spinning reels from the $140 to just over $200 offered by any of those three are all quite good.  

1 hour ago, Ben217 said:

Hello everyone - as the title suggests I’m looking for a lightweight salt ready spinning reel for my dad. He hurt his shoulder a bit ago so casting all day as you can imagine isn’t as fun as it used to be. We recently got into Wade fishing in St. Petersburg (shoutout to @aquaholik for the tips and amazing help last year) and would love some dedicated gear for that application. Would love something a little on the more hardy size as my dad doesn’t clean his gear too often but I’m trying to make a habit of it. Something that can handle some nice inshore fish down south, reds snook. Maybe even use it for some schoolies up here in mass. Either way would love some suggestions on any reels that come to mind.

Thanks for taking a look at the post,

-Ben 

Lightweight, cheap and sealed are a bit mutually exclusive. Wade fishing down here will kill most lightweight Shimano and Diawa reel if you dunk and don't at least rinse off. A Stradic has some sealing but it's not for dunking. I wade fish down here but I rarely dunk the reel and they get properly cleaned and inspected so no issue with my 2500-3000 size Diawa. For the rod, you don't need anything more than a 7ft medium action rod. I would just pair it with an inshore Spheros in the 2500-3000 size. It has the sealing of the previous Stradic FK.

16 hours ago, aquaholik said:

Lightweight, cheap and sealed are a bit mutually exclusive. Wade fishing down here will kill most lightweight Shimano and Diawa reel if you dunk and don't at least rinse off. A Stradic has some sealing but it's not for dunking. I wade fish down here but I rarely dunk the reel and they get properly cleaned and inspected so no issue with my 2500-3000 size Diawa. For the rod, you don't need anything more than a 7ft medium action rod. 

medium action?  

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

18 hours ago, bmac said:

All depends on what you want to spend Ben, but Daiwa, Shimano and Penn all offer what you are looking for in dependable, inexpensive and moderately priced models.  I'm personally more partial to Daiwa and I'd look at their BG and Ballistic reels in a 4000 size for what you described.  Compare those to other manufacturers.  The quality of spinning reels from the $140 to just over $200 offered by any of those three are all quite good.  

That 140 - 200 range would be preferred, student loans have me hurting right now. Thanks for your input! 

16 hours ago, aquaholik said:

Lightweight, cheap and sealed are a bit mutually exclusive. Wade fishing down here will kill most lightweight Shimano and Diawa reel if you dunk and don't at least rinse off. A Stradic has some sealing but it's not for dunking. I wade fish down here but I rarely dunk the reel and they get properly cleaned and inspected so no issue with my 2500-3000 size Diawa. For the rod, you don't need anything more than a 7ft medium action rod. I would just pair it with an inshore Spheros in the 2500-3000 size. It has the sealing of the previous Stradic FK.

As always thank you for your input, definitely leaning towards a stradic, spheros or BG. They certainly will be maintenanced if any dunking occurs. Definitely need to see which is lighter for the sake of his casting shoulder. 

1 min ago, Billybob said:

If weight is that important, look at the Shimano Vanford.  

I don’t know if weight is that important but he loves being on the water and I don’t want him to injure himself again. I am just trying to see if there is a lightweight reel that could benefit him in this regard. I’ll definitely check that out though thank you! 

1 hour ago, Cascade said:

VS 100 or 150, very pricy but hits all of your wants. When I "wade fish" that reel is under water more than any other applications.

I wish I could afford that for him right now. In my experience with van staals they are built like tanks, but kinda weigh like tanks too.

40 mins ago, Ben217 said:

They look like nice workhorse reel, a little pricey but might have to try and push it. Have you used it in comparison of shimanos and daiwa?

I have the III 4500 ………but Ive used my buddy’s IV 2500, what a gem!!  Awesome little reel that holds plenty of line and the security of knowing it was made for the surf!!  Definitely my next reel for any light tackle 8 or 9 foot rod :th: