Thoughts on when you should buy a Van Staal

Rate this topic

If you factory service your VS reel annually, it is like buying and then selling a Saragosa every year. If you buy your VS used and never factory service it, might not cost anything to own, as you might be able to sell it for what you paid. If you have $ to buy both a VS and a Saragosa, this post does not apply lol.

2 hours ago, North Jetty Fishing said:

Curious as to everyone's opinion on when you think the right point is in y our surf casting progression to step up to a fully sealed reel like a Van Staal or Zeebass? I've always considered it the point at which you are going through at least one $100-$300 reel a year, curious as to what everyone else thinks.

Believe you've answered your own question . . . if you are often dunking the reel and fishing harsh conditions.  Of course, you could get by with a 704 or 706 manual pick-up.  Those reels are easy to breakdown, clean and grease.  Used them for years prior to VS and ZB.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

I would have literally saved money if I just bought a VS way earlier on in my fishing addiction. The amount of blown reels, water intrusion and being on the sidelines while my cheaper Penn was in the tackle shop and I was missing a bite would be unbearable now. But it’s how you fish, some may never even need one for what kind of fishing they do. 

Like most things surf fishing you get what you pay for.

Money wise I think it depends on how much you get out.

Once you are dedicated (sick) and you are spending ample time in the surf that is a good time to upgrade to any sealed reel.

Cheaper is more expensive in the long run.

The most "surf friendly" reel I own is a SSVI.  Great reel, but I try and be careful not to dunk.  Although it has been dunked a handful of times and been  shake n' baked once or twice, she's still kicking.  A VS may be in my future but not quite yet.  But I don't surf fish as much as I can justify getting one yet.  Bonus season coming up, so maybe?

Edited by Skunkoff

1 hour ago, HYB_Living said:

I would have literally saved money if I just bought a VS way earlier on in my fishing addiction. The amount of blown reels, water intrusion and being on the sidelines while my cheaper Penn was in the tackle shop and I was missing a bite would be unbearable now. But it’s how you fish, some may never even need one for what kind of fishing they do. 

Couldn't agree more. This will be my first season with a VS and I made that decision for exactly the reasons you stated. The cost of reels over the years not to mention the countless hours bringing reels back from the brink, cutting trips short due to reels seizing, and missing bites. I wish I had moved up sooner would have saved both time and money in the long run.