Bird ID by song alone?

Rate this topic

Occasionally I hear a bird that I can't ID because for one reason or another I can't get a decent visual sighting and the call is unfamiliar. Heard one just the other day.

Is there a way to feed an audio file into a web site and get a bird species ID out of it ? Describing a bird song in words doesn't really capture it.

Pfantum Pfishah

4 mins ago, bdowning said:

Occasionally I hear a bird that I can't ID because for one reason or another I can't get a decent visual sighting and the call is unfamiliar. Heard one just the other day.

Is there a way to feed an audio file into a web site and get a bird species ID out of it ? Describing a bird song in words doesn't really capture it.

To answer your question, the answer is yes.  Unfortunately I can't remember?

I often bump into this guy along the canal who's a fanatic bird watcher. Travels all over the country based on rumors of rare sightings.

He told me there's a site where all you have to do is record a small portion of bird's song, and the site identifies the bird.  He's said it's remarkably accurate. 

Sorry I can't give it to you now, but I usually see him often, unless he's off chasing birds.  Next time I see him I'll get the info.

The Sultan of Sluggo

I'm not an app guy but I'm pretty sure there is such a thing. 

I'm always impressed by anyone who can remember so many different bird calls and use it to ID birds.

I'm really bad at it, often struggle to recognize songs of familiar birds.

One of my sons is particularly good at it.

I have long believed the difference is, I have no natural musical instincts. I could never learn to sing or play an instrument. 

My son on the other hand quickly learns any instrument he tries and easily teaches himself songs to play by ear.

Edited by mikez2

Thanks guys. In the meantime I'll do an app and web search. The tricky bit with this is getting a recording that is clear enough and doesn't include other birds in it. It would have to be smartphone based for me. No external mics or other equipment. I travel light. :cool:

Pfantum Pfishah

3 mins ago, bdowning said:

Thanks guys. In the meantime I'll do an app and web search. The tricky bit with this is getting a recording that is clear enough and doesn't include other birds in it. It would have to be smartphone based for me. No external mics or other equipment. I travel light. :cool:

It sorts them out without a problem.

On a spring morning it's fun to just walk along and watch them pop on your phone, one after another.

9 mins ago, bdowning said:

Also, bare in mind, there are only so many birds around and not many are calling right now. Process of elimination by looking at those birds first allows you to listen to recordings of those to compare to what you heard.

I hear starlings and house sparrows on warm mornings now. Those are familiar to almost anyone. 

Aside from the low key twittering the little birds always have going, the birds most likely to be actually singing right now, in my opinion are chickadees and cardinals. 

They both have a song that seems to start on warm days towards end of winter

And of course Bluejays never really are quiet and they have a lot of different calls and noise they make. Most of the time you think you hear a hawk, it's actually a bluejay.

Edited by mikez2

^^Yeah all those winter residents you mentioned I can already id by ear. But a week ago I heard something completely new to me, and the bird stayed in deep cover too long for my patience to run out for a good visual. :kook: this is a sometime thing of course at this time of year. Where it will really come in handy is in spring migration when all those oddball warblers and other transients come thru that i can never seem to see well enough to identify. :cool:

Pfantum Pfishah

2 mins ago, bdowning said:

^^Yeah all those winter residents you mentioned I can already id by ear. But a week ago I heard something completely new to me, and the bird stayed in deep cover too long for my patience to run out for a good visual. :kook: this is a sometime thing of course at this time of year. Where it will really come in handy is in spring migration when all those oddball warblers and other transients come thru that i can never seem to see well enough to identify. :cool:

Yeah my only hope is now when there's hardly anything to confuse me.

Once spring comes, my ear just can't sort it all out.

Unfortunately I am an unrepentant Luddite and the thought of walking around the woods listening to an app gives me a stomach ache