Jump to content

Should Stripe bass be considered a game fish, protecting it from commercial fishing??

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

The value of stripe bass to associated business "Retail tackle shops, hotels, restaurants, coffee shops, bike shops," be a reason to make it a game fish which means no commercial sales of stripers. With farm raised now being sold it takes away the argument that only fisherman will have access to stripers as food, What do you guys think???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What would be the downside?   

How many commercial fisherman make a living from catching stripers? 

Of those commercial fisherman, what percentage of their annual income is from selling stripers?

 

 

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 mins ago, codfish said:

The value of stripe bass to associated business "Retail tackle shops, hotels, restaurants, coffee shops, bike shops," be a reason to make it a game fish which means no commercial sales of stripers. With farm raised now being sold it takes away the argument that only fisherman will have access to stripers as food, What do you guys think???

gamefish status and a min 7 yr moratorium on fishing...or until such time they actually show signs of their recovery

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gamefish status like Tarpon or Bonefish. You can fish for them but gotta release. Pretty simple. Maybe take it a step further and only can be taken on artificial lures with no barbs, kind of like a trout stream….

 

Eat something else. Commercial fisherman probably aren’t doing too well with Striped Bass now anyway because they are gone. 

No Bait. No Barbs. No Buckets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been trying to push this on the tried & true... the young & the restless... the old & the wise... for years & years.

 

There are so many positives to the striped bass becoming a gamefish.  Real funding will get into it down the road - within a decade or two, instead of bias positions on stocks.. being the baseline for recovery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gamefish status now! 

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

 

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

 

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

Gamefish status like Tarpon or Bonefish. You can fish for them but gotta release. Pretty simple. Maybe take it a step further and only can be taken on artificial lures with no barbs, kind of like a trout stream….

 

Eat something else. Commercial fisherman probably aren’t doing too well with Striped Bass now anyway because they are gone. 

I fish tarpon from March to June and there are no shortage. Tarpon has no food value, but were impacted by trophy fishers removing the for taxidrmy or pictures and discarding them. Putting them into a gamefish status allows for fishing but not removing them from the water (except fish under 50 lbs). Striper can be farm raised and commercial fishers can not be making a living on this one species....

 

 

Missing Wilmington Vermont but loving the Ditch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 mins ago, Stripernut1 said:

I have been advocating for Game Fish Statice for over 20 years... I am all for it, but I won't be holding my breath...

We all have.  People bring it up all the time at the hearings.  But the whining, railing and howling from the charter boats and so called commercial fishermen seem to sway the opinions of the fishery managers.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

We all have.  People bring it up all the time at the hearings.  But the whining, railing and howling from the charter boats and so called commercial fishermen seem to sway the opinions of the fishery managers.

That is my point, Bob...

Also, I think the Jershy netters somehow have a lot of sway also, but I could be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...