I want a conventional reel and heaver

Rate this topic

bja105

I want a conventional reel and heavy long rod for casting 8 and bait. It was something i had been thinking about, and then I bought a Penn 350 Leveline recently. I have been practicing in the yard with the 350, and I'm doing pretty well. I don't backlash it much anymore. I can cast my spinning reels farther, but I have improved.

I want a new setup for casting bait at Assateague and the Outer Banks. I was thinking about waiting until late March when I can buy in person at Hatteras shops, but if I buy online now, I can practice with it until my trip.

First question, which reel? I had been set on the Penn Squall II 15 Casting Special. Now, I am thinking about the Omoto Chief 6000CTM. Does one have an advantage as far as distance with large cut bait, and fighting big fish? Is there a different Omoto I should consider?

You will get answers here, but if you want, I will move this to the OBX/Hatteras Forum.

If you are fishing at the Point in Buxton (if it's still there) be advised that it's highly advisable to do so with monofilament, NOT braid.

The Omoto has its' admirers, but you will be able to get Penn parts easily. I do not know if the Omoto reels are as well supported.

17 mins ago, bja105 said:

I want a conventional reel and heavy long rod for casting 8 and bait. It was something i had been thinking about, and then I bought a Penn 350 Leveline recently. I have been practicing in the yard with the 350, and I'm doing pretty well. I don't backlash it much anymore. I can cast my spinning reels farther, but I have improved.

I want a new setup for casting bait at Assateague and the Outer Banks. I was thinking about waiting until late March when I can buy in person at Hatteras shops, but if I buy online now, I can practice with it until my trip.

First question, which reel? I had been set on the Penn Squall II 15 Casting Special. Now, I am thinking about the Omoto Chief 6000CTM. Does one have an advantage as far as distance with large cut bait, and fighting big fish? Is there a different Omoto I should consider?

Get the squall 100 %

If your really looking for distance - I’m not a distance caster per say- but from what I found myself and also read- it’s not so much the reel itself (although it does have a lot to do with it) but it’s the way you tune it and also your casting technique. By tuning I mean the bearings your using, the oil and amount of oil using in your bearings, the line, levelwind etc etc 

that being said- they are both fine reels. I would get the one that appeals to you the most and has specs closest to your needs

I have the Squall II CS. Love it. Caught rays and sharks ~6 feet/100 pounds and medium (36") stripers on it and it handles just fine. I set the magnets to the halfway point and let it rip, casts very nicely, have it on a 12' Penn Battalion rated to 12 oz. I have 50 pound suffix 832 on it. Great entry-level reel if you're just getting started with conventionals on the beach, very user friendly, it was my first conventional surf reel. I did have to set the drag different from the stock settings ("versa-drag" is what Penn calls it) so it could handle the stray shark/big ray that comes along when I'm drum/striper fishing. Can't speak for the Omoto reel though. A plus to the Penn is easy part accessibility, like BrianBM said.

I'd say get the squall, especially if you're just starting out. As you get better at using and handling conventionals, then you can branch out to other reels more.

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

I would go with the Squall15CS with the mag control. Thats what I fish a lot lately, and the reel is a canon. The only knock I have on it is line capacity if your fishing mono. That is where the Omoto may or may not have an advantage. 

Squall is a good real, particularly for the price.  For a rod there are lots to choose from- down on the Outer Banks you see a million Daiwa Ballistic 40-405, Tommy Farmer's Carolina Cast Pro rods are good, CTS 1305 are popular.

I bought a 12 Ft OM rod and a Trinidad 30 from a local young 30s guy who is 5'4" and 149 pounds. He took online advices to get this outfit for casting bait at Assateague and the Outer Banks. He sold them to me because he didn't informed the people his physical built. He said this outfit was very difficult for him to cast because it was heavy and he cannot cast far. He sold them to me after he returned from the Outer Banks.

How tall are you and are you in good shape? 

Making the world safe for bait, one bluefish at a time!

id recommend saltist 30h. pull the two red brake blocks.  goto red drum tackle and buy the shops rdt daiwa ballistic rod.  it has a lifetime warrantee that they will swap over the counter if you break it - including snapping tips hitting trees on the racks or snapping butts from the front racks.  the price is right on them at 400 bucks and nice to stow the 3pc when not in use

11 mins ago, bronson said:

id recommend saltist 30h. pull the two red brake blocks.  goto red drum tackle and buy the shops rdt daiwa ballistic rod.  it has a lifetime warrantee that they will swap over the counter if you break it - including snapping tips hitting trees on the racks or snapping butts from the front racks.  the price is right on them at 400 bucks and nice to stow the 3pc when not in use

They are great reels especially for durability.  Iv cast and fished with both many times and I'd have to say  the squall is going to be easier for a beginner to control with the aggressive mag settings the reel has. If it was a durability and easy to service contest the diawa is the reel .

i think its cool you bought a penn 350. i have one that i changed to a lighter spool, surfmaster 200 i think, and it makes it a much better reel

dont fish bait much but when i do it is usually an alcohol related incident  i use an avet mxl.

lures lately a penn 965

the reel i can cast the furthest (not a great caster) is a penn torque 12. expensive and no brakes or mags

good luck to you

"what good are tractors without violins" ?   jose figueres

Thanks folks. I bought the Squall this morning. Frank and Frans had a sale. I got 17 lb mono. I wanted the reel now, but I also wanted to buy from a local shop instead of a big online dealer, so that worked out.

I plan on practicing with the rod I've been using on the 350, a Daiwa BG 1002MH. I'll buy a dedicated rod when I get to Hatteras in late March. I didn't want to mess with shipping a rod and I like to buy local when I can. Thanks for the rod suggestions, keep them coming.

I'm all wound up about this trip! It will be my oldest son,17, and maybe my new son-in-law. I was blessed to fish saltwater 4 times last year, which is a big deal when you live in western PA. I like to take long weekends. It takes me 7 hours to get to Assateague, and 10 to Hatteras.  We caught one fish all week in February at the OBX. We started catching in June in Assateague. We killed it September at the OBX and New Years in eastern Florida.