Braid / Shock Leader

Rate this topic

Posted in the wrong forum before 

Surf fishing plugs, paddletails,  and metals for blues / stripers. 30# Sprectra braid. Do you recommend using a leader? fluoro or mono that is the same strength or tie straight on? What size barrel swivel for leader? Moss green braid, is there a need to match color or clear fluoro / mono? Thanks for the help. 

Absolutely use a leader. Some will disagree on using mono or straight “leader”. For me I don’t see much difference. I have a spool of 50lb big game that I use for all my leaders. Roughly 3 feet. Swivel between the braid and leader and either a TA clip or coastlock at the other end.  I’ve used both over the past 25 years and I like the coastlock better. Sampo have been the best. Tsusnmi are good too. 

“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.”

• 1 month later...

I use a 60lb, 3 foot+- clear Floro leader, attached to the braid with a barrel swivel. TA clip to the plug.  Barrel swivel is nice to grab onto to pull the fish up onto the wet sand a bit to unhook.  Good luck.

I always use a bead between top guide and swivel - protects my guide. Good idea to keep a few wire leaders for when Blues show up, i don’t like losing any lures to the choppers plus you can attach a TA clip to the wire as well.

Also use 30 pound braid, I use 40 pound fluorocarbon, normally tie on with an alberto knot that I pass the tag through the loop thrice for extra security. I use about 3-6 feet of leader depending on where I'm fishing. For the lure, I'll either just use a 4-5 turn uni knot or a TA clip if I have one on me. 

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

18 hours ago, Fishit 2 said:

I always use a bead between top guide and swivel - protects my guide. Good idea to keep a few wire leaders for when Blues show up, i don’t like losing any lures to the choppers plus you can attach a TA clip to the wire as well.

That sounds like a good idea.  I have a lot of beads from my spinner making kit I can use.  Any size preference?

People use a leader as braid seems to fray easier when it rubs on rocks.

Another reason is when landing a fish, if you grab the line to bring in a fish, if it is braid, it can cut your ski n easier. 

13 mins ago, Rjw828 said:

I see different lengths of leader discussed. Whats a minimum length for surf casting that is recommended… 2ft?

Just my humble experience:

if going braid to swivel then leader - I think 12” minimum and 24” max for me. Longer means more likely to reel through the top guide. Shorter tends to get braid tangled around the leader, the swivel, tag end, etc. even the plug if it’s windy. 

if doing braid to leader via direct knot- as short or as long as you can manage or learn to enjoy. I’ve gone from 12” up to 9’ for rocks & bridges/piers.