The Future of Fishing (is not "fishing" anymore)

Rate this topic

buddha162

The biggest debate and controversy in fishing right now is over live sonar technology, mostly limited for the time being to freshwater bass/crappie/musky/walleye and maybe some billfish tournaments. As crazy as traditional sonar (2D, side imaging, down imaging) has gotten, live sonar (Livescope, Forward Facing Sonar or FFS) allows you to watch fish underwater in real time.

You can cast your bait out and watch it through the water column. You can spot an individual, suspended game fish and make multiple presentations at it, watching its reaction to your bait - live. The best "scopers" in the bass tournament scene are using Livescope even up shallow, coaxing fish out of hard cover like laydowns and docks etc. The last Bassmaster Open stop was won in Florida by someone using livescope - bed fishing. 

If you think boat striper fishing is easy now...wait until every charter captain and half the private fleet gets forward facing sonar. Blind casting will no longer be a thing - every cast will be to a fish or a school of fish, esp in open water. 

this is a little controversial in freshwater fishing-  lots of guys mock the livescopers-  saying they cant catch fish without a finder telling them where the fish are (EXACTLY) as they fish.  but it is NOT going away,     ever.   I predict it'll eventually make  freshwater bass so hard to catch  in the big lakes that most people will give up   Whether or not it catches on for stripers in the salt is yet to be seen-  I hope it doesn't

Edited by bobber

its all about da fishes...

Hmmmm. I think the biggest issue I see with it is Fleet captains using it to exploit it for their clients. There is always pressure on CBC and FC to find that one big fish for that one (or few) client(s), and that pressure will always lead to using tech to make things easier on them since they have a a business to run. I'd say for social influencers the same. Not saying all of them will or is a solid fact they will, but I understand the concern nevertheless. 

I do hope that it doesn't become as bad as people hope, but with increasing frustration from anglers being unable to find bites, diminishing populations, businesses needed to stay relevant, and the general impatience of a modern fishing generation, I'm not so optimistic. 

38 mins ago, bobber said:

this is a little controversial in freshwater fishing-  lots of guys mock the livescopers-  saying they cant catch fish without a finder telling them where the fish are (EXACTLY) as they fish.  but it is NOT going away,     ever.   I predict it'll eventually make  freshwater bass so hard to catch  in the big lakes that most people will give up   Whether or not it catches on for stripers in the salt is yet to be seen-  I hope it doesn't

I was listening to a podcast with one of the top scopers (Drew Gill), and what he said really gave me pause - traditional fishing is all about guessing; some have more time on the water to make more informed and educated guesses as to where fish are, how to target them etc. Scoping takes all the guesswork out of fishing...it's not just watching a fish interact with your jerkbait on the screen, it's pulling into a cove and within 10 minutes knowing if it's worth making a cast. The kid said he doesn't even use side imaging anymore, just mapping and livescope. What used to take 4 hours to figure out takes him 15-20 minutes during practice now. 

Now he is one of the best at interpreting what he's seeing on the screen, and min/maxing live sonar's capabilities. There's probably only a handful of pros on that level, right now. But there are hundreds of college anglers coming up who have spent the last 3-4 years doing nothing but training on FFS. In 2-3 years I don't think you'll see any pro bass fisherman make a blind cast ever again. 

And rest assured it's coming to striper fishing. It just takes one guy to install it and it's off to the races. That's what happened in a local kayak club - one guy got it in 2022, won tournaments, now 90% of the field are scoping. These are mediocre anglers at best and now some of them can catch 20lbs just scoping around. 

Just now, The Riddler said:

Here is the lesson with todays latest and greatest technology. You will see when Bass don't eat. You can't catch when they won't eat. 

You will follow them around casting different lures until one eats. Or you'll find another one and repeat. 

There are guides on Ivie who would follow a lone double digit LM in the middle of nowhere for an hour with livescope - until they find the right bait/action/timing. 

From my point of view, it is a time saver, you still have to get the fish to bite. Also, No one complains about sight-fishing a flat, you see the fish, you cast to the fish, and you see how it reacts. This just lets you do it in deeper water and for species that you normally don't get to sight fish for. I don't have one yet, but at some point, I will, but I just dropped my spare fishing money on a spot lock system for my small boat... For me that has been an even bigger game changer...

14 mins ago, buddha162 said:

You will follow them around casting different lures until one eats. Or you'll find another one and repeat. 

There are guides on Ivie who would follow a lone double digit LM in the middle of nowhere for an hour with livescope - until they find the right bait/action/timing. 

Ok. Largemouth? Thats nice. I am hear to share even with the best electronics and some of the best anglers? There have been times when Striped Bass will not eat. 

9 mins ago, Stripernut1 said:

From my point of view, it is a time saver, you still have to get the fish to bite. Also, No one complains about sight-fishing a flat, you see the fish, you cast to the fish, and you see how it reacts. This just lets you do it in deeper water and for species that you normally don't get to sight fish for. I don't have one yet, but at some point, I will, but I just dropped my spare fishing money on a spot lock system for my small boat... For me that has been an even bigger game changer...

The shallow sight fishing thing is great - doesn't happen often and when it does, the fish are generally skittish in clear shallow water. FFS is more analogous to bed fishing - except now you can bed fish 24/7/365 regardless of the season, water clarity, depth. 

And targeting individual fish is just the tip of the iceberg. Being able to observe fish behavior without even making a cast...eliminating dead water at a glance - it's the clearest demarcation of fishing as it was until now, and fishing going forward. 

8 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Ok. Largemouth? Thats nice. I am hear to share even with the best electronics and some of the best anglers? There have been times when Striped Bass will not eat. 

Lol that's right you think pressured LM are easier to catch than stripers. 

Helicopters and drones are banned from a lot of offshore tournaments and some people still like fly fishing like its 1600, point being, fishing will go on just fine.

Bigger impact will probably be new regs to deal with increased harvest or selective targeting negatively impacting stocks.

10 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Lol that's right you think pressured LM are easier to catch than stripers. 

You know what? You have belittled Striped Bass anglers for a while. I suggest for you to take the cotton out of your ears and put in in your mouth.

Just now, The Riddler said:

You know what? You have belittled Striped Bass anglers for a while. I suggest for you to take the cotton out of your ears and put in in your mouth.

Sorry if I've hurt your feelings in the past - I suggest you go haunt some other thread. 

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

The biggest debate and controversy in fishing right now is over live sonar technology, mostly limited for the time being to freshwater bass/crappie/musky/walleye and maybe some billfish tournaments. As crazy as traditional sonar (2D, side imaging, down imaging) has gotten, live sonar (Livescope, Forward Facing Sonar or FFS) allows you to watch fish underwater in real time.

You can cast your bait out and watch it through the water column. You can spot an individual, suspended game fish and make multiple presentations at it, watching its reaction to your bait - live. The best "scopers" in the bass tournament scene are using Livescope even up shallow, coaxing fish out of hard cover like laydowns and docks etc. The last Bassmaster Open stop was won in Florida by someone using livescope - bed fishing. 

If you think boat striper fishing is easy now...wait until every charter captain and half the private fleet gets forward facing sonar. Blind casting will no longer be a thing - every cast will be to a fish or a school of fish, esp in open water. 

Proliferation of largemouth bass tournaments, prizes, instant gratification.  

When we look back on our lives, our most precious commodity will have been time. Time shared with the ones we love. Don't wait for time to be convenient, find the time, make the time, for this is what you will cherish most.