Pollock Party Boat

Rate this topic

31 mins ago, bob_G said:

Might be, but it's Feb.  Sometimes it's just fun going out with a bunch of buddies for a good time.

I've never tried redfish, now I'm going to look for them. 

I haven’t tried them either. 

45 mins ago, bob_G said:

Well, let's home they're better than my last experiment, monkfish.:upck:

What?!?  Monkfish is delicious!!

Braise it. Broth heavy with wine and garlic, butter, saffron.  Till tender.  Use the braising liquid to make a cream sauce.   

Sign me TF up!

10 hours ago, bob_G said:

Might be, but it's Feb.  Sometimes it's just fun going out with a bunch of buddies for a good time.

I've never tried redfish, now I'm going to look for them. 

caught a ton of redfish going for cod, haddock. Now if I actually CONCENTRATED on fishing for them, do you think I'd ever catch

one ?

9 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Is there anything you won't eat?:)

From the sea probably not.  

Few things I don't like. But will choke down.  Turnips, Brussel sprouts and kale come to mind.  Oh. Also broccoli Rabe and that Italian maggot cheese!  Which is weird cause bugs don't bother me, but a wheel of cheese that's wiggling  makes me gag

Edited by PSeggs

On 2/24/2024 at 7:48 PM, PSeggs said:

Thanks for the warning.    Didn't think of that.   

Would following the shellfish open/closed warnings help?

That’s always what I’ve gone by, if the shellfish are safe to eat the snails should be as well. I also try to avoid the bigger ones, as I think they’ve had more time to accumulate whatever pollution/bacteria that may be in the shellfish population 

22 mins ago, EliasA said:

That’s always what I’ve gone by, if the shellfish are safe to eat the snails should be as well. I also try to avoid the bigger ones, as I think they’ve had more time to accumulate whatever pollution/bacteria that may be in the shellfish population 

What state are you concerned about? The Ma DMF tests shellfish beds and water quality so much it borders on insane.   I worked with those guys and the water biologists do excellent work.  

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

What state are you concerned about? The Ma DMF tests shellfish beds and water quality so much it borders on insane.   I worked with those guys and the water biologists do excellent work.  

I’m speaking in regards to massachusetts. The mass dmf does a tremendous job monitoring water quality, and they do regularly issue emergency shellfish closures, but a lot of people don’t realize that snails that feed on shellfish can be just as dangerous as the shellfish themselves during a shellfish closure. I’ve seen people out gathering snails in areas that are under an emergency shellfish closure without realizing that the snails can be contaminated as well

13 mins ago, EliasA said:

I’m speaking in regards to massachusetts. The mass dmf does a tremendous job monitoring water quality, and they do regularly issue emergency shellfish closures, but a lot of people don’t realize that snails that feed on shellfish can be just as dangerous as the shellfish themselves during a shellfish closure. I’ve seen people out gathering snails in areas that are under an emergency shellfish closure without realizing that the snails can be contaminated as well

Well, if people are harvesting anything from a closed area, be it a emergency, seasonal or permanent closure then they're asking for trouble.  Is there no signage in these areas?

The Sultan of Sluggo

24 mins ago, bob_G said:

Well, if people are harvesting anything from a closed area, be it an emergency, seasonal or permanent closure then they're asking for trouble.  Is there no signage in these areas?

There is, but the few times I’ve actually looked at them they generally mention clams/shellfish or crabs. The guy I spoke to about it thought the snails were safe as they weren’t listen on the sign