Pollock Party Boat

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, EliasA said:

You can eat moon snails, but be careful when and where you harvest them because you can get paralytic shellfish poisoning from them if they’ve been eating bad clams

Thanks for the warning.    Didn't think of that.   

Would following the shellfish open/closed warnings help?

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to go out on the ocean in winter to catch panfish?

Lol....Pollack have fins and they move. I would think that is a back up plan. Better than getting shut out. It is the winter right? 

2 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to go out on the ocean in winter to catch panfish?

Those Arcadian redfish are the best eating fish off our coast.  Hands down.  Its big time meat fishing on those trips.  Bring home trash bags of filets.  Same with the scup and black sea bass trips on the head boats.  1 trip will get you enough fish for the year probably.  Not meant for people who want to play with them for catch and release or only want a couple fish.

Eastman’s does run trips starting in March that explicitly target redfish. They’re small but you can catch a good number of them and they are admittedly delicious (best tasting fish in my opinion - firm and sweet). Walsh’s is $100 per person and Eastman’s is  $82 (and don’t forget to add tip).

5 mins ago, jmei said:

Eastman’s does run trips starting in March that explicitly target redfish. They’re small but you can catch a good number of them and they are admittedly delicious (best tasting fish in my opinion - firm and sweet). Walsh’s is $100 per person and Eastman’s is  $82 (and don’t forget to add tip).

So would you say it's pretty much just a way to fill the freezer?

I've eaten Redfish before and they are good but I'm clearly missing something. 

If the sinker ways more than the fish it probably couldn't taste good enough for me. Especially if it requires freezing my ass off in a crowd of tangles. 

But to each his own. If that's what people want, more power to them. 

The beauty of the sport is how many different ways there are to get your fix.

55 mins ago, mikez2 said:

So would you say it's pretty much just a way to fill the freezer?

I've eaten Redfish before and they are good but I'm clearly missing something. 

If the sinker ways more than the fish it probably couldn't taste good enough for me. Especially if it requires freezing my ass off in a crowd of tangles. 

But to each his own. If that's what people want, more power to them. 

The beauty of the sport is how many different ways there are to get your fix.

It’s honestly probably more because it’s the first real fishing of the year after a long winter so folks get extra excited about it. But filling your freezer with tasty fish is a big driver too. 

I would compare it to ice fishing. It’s physically demanding but it’s something to do during a month with otherwise limited fishing opportunities. 

2 mins ago, jmei said:

It’s honestly probably more because it’s the first real fishing of the year after a long winter so folks get extra excited about it. But filling your freezer with tasty fish is a big driver too. 

I would compare it to ice fishing. It’s physically demanding but it’s something to do during a month with otherwise limited fishing opportunities. 

Yes. I love ice fishing but many people can't see the appeal. 

So many different ways to do it. Not all are for everyone. Which is a good thing. 

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Yes. I love ice fishing but many people can't see the appeal. 

So many different ways to do it. Not all are for everyone. Which is a good thing. 

Except ice fishing might be cheaper?

5 hours ago, jmei said:

last time I went I spent $150.00 watching some crew member untangle our lines all day..............

NEVER AGAIN ...........

56 mins ago, z-man said:

Seems like an awful long boat ride to go catch fish the size of white perch. 

Might be, but it's Feb.  Sometimes it's just fun going out with a bunch of buddies for a good time.

I've never tried redfish, now I'm going to look for them. 

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 hours ago, foxfai said:

Except ice fishing might be cheaper?

Well after the initial outlay for gear, ice fishing is close to free. Especially since I trap my own bait.

Ice fishing is better suited for my anti-social nature. I have very low tolerance for tangles or dealing with a bunch of people I didn't invite. 

I guess yellow perch might not be as tasty as redfish but at least I can catch them on a rod that will bend from their weight. And while am not a fill your freezer kinda guy, there's an unlimited supply a few minutes away.