Pollock Party Boat

Rate this topic

Looking to hop on American Classic for pollock. I’ve never been. Can I expect to do well with the rental rods and bait rigs they provide or should I bring some jigs? Looks like maybe 16 oz Norwegian jigs are the ticket? Open to any and all advice as I’ve never done this type of fishing. Thanks!

Chunk is right.  Go to the regional forum.

Generally speaking, rental tackle is chosen to be cheap enough to replace, when dropped over the side by some seasick novice, and rugged enough to survive the things that novices do. That is OK for the first trip or two, before you decide you like it enough to want better gear of your own. ,

16 hours ago, Skin said:

They go out once a week, weather permitting, and recently, they have been fishing next to Eastman’s.

IMG_8635.jpeg

Nice!

What's the price?  They have a FB page, but I don't have FB. 

Anyone know what the fishing is like in late June?   I get done with school around the 20th and then have some free time till summer school starts after the 4th. 

I'm coming from CT.  So I've been wondering to go NE up this way or E to RI and catch a headboat there. 

Walsh’s is not a full time fishing business. Historically they were, but now the Capt runs a successful HVAC (I think) business. Last June, he was on the books to sail every Sunday. But very busy time of year for his real job. In between weather and charters, it was a bit less than once a week. Plenty of other options between Gloucester and Maine. Eastman’s on the other hand, will be running 5+ boats a day, throughout June. Hard to say what fishing will be like this year, haddock got scarce, and size limits went up last year. But summer people would rather spend all day trying to get a haddock, than pursue other species.

So i went last sunday on eastman with that crazy nice weather. Their rental setup is a heavy broomstick with old penn conventional they set it up with 16oz sinker and a hook. Everyone on that trip beside me and few of my friends was either from NJ or NY they use the rental but change out the rig to their own jigging lure and teasers. Majority of the people who use their own gear was using compact conventional reel like Maxwell/Penn or the shimano torium 20 with some heavy fiberglass rod. I saw some even using spinning reel with jig and paddle tail for chance to catch halibut.  My own setup was ocea jigger 2000 with 50lb braid and about 15yds of 50lb mono and using 350g jig and i was using JW shogun rod rated up to 16oz. People who was using the norway jig was using the 12oz size not many was using the 16oz jig. I even saw few using slow fall jig less then 10oz but they up tangling people when current start moving.