Record blue AL.

Rate this topic

drumbum

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

Thats a monster for down south.  Down in FL ive seen the locals lose their minds over 5-6 lb bluefish.

I first learned about small southern bluefish about 20 or so years ago.

I was in Georgia and stopped into a tackle shop to chat about the local fishing.

Turns out the proprietor was originally from NY and he and I knew some of the same people back home.

Anyway, he started talking about the great bluefish bite they were  having at the time.

But then he stopped himself and qualified what he was saying a little bit by explaining that the Southern fish weren’t nearly the size of the fish that could be caught up North.

I don’t have any idea why the fish are smaller in the south  but they are.

2 hours ago, bbfish said:

Thats a monster for down south.  Down in FL ive seen the locals lose their minds over 5-6 lb bluefish.

Especially on the gulf side - in fact i caught a 2 lb rat blue in Naples that had people going out of there mind. But I do think the east coast of FL gets its share of bigger bluefish, as that's just the southern end of the run from the same body of fish we catch here in the NE. i think Gulf bluefish are a separate population altogether. 

14 hours ago, albacized said:

Especially on the gulf side - in fact i caught a 2 lb rat blue in Naples that had people going out of there mind. But I do think the east coast of FL gets its share of bigger bluefish, as that's just the southern end of the run from the same body of fish we catch here in the NE. i think Gulf bluefish are a separate population altogether. 

East coast fish are usually smaller, too, although not as small as Gulf fish.  But once in a while they get a shot of double-digit fish.

This year, they had some fish running into the mid-teens, and a guide I know down there was really enjoying the run, taking his clients out with fly rods targeting fish that they don't typically see.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

15 hours ago, valentine said:

I first learned about small southern bluefish about 20 or so years ago.

I was in Georgia and stopped into a tackle shop to chat about the local fishing.

Turns out the proprietor was originally from NY and he and I knew some of the same people back home.

Anyway, he started talking about the great bluefish bite they were  having at the time.

But then he stopped himself and qualified what he was saying a little bit by explaining that the Southern fish weren’t nearly the size of the fish that could be caught up North.

I don’t have any idea why the fish are smaller in the south  but they are.

Greater predation? More competition for resources? 

Any thoughts @CWitek ?

13 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

Greater predation? More competition for resources? 

Any thoughts @CWitek ?

Honestlty don't know.

Probably a different stock, since the management unit for the East Coast fish doesn't include the Gulf, and it's possible that the stock trends a little smaller.  Predation or forge could play a role.  Honestly never saw any data that might explain the difference.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

11 mins ago, John P said:

I've caught a few in Naples about 12-14 in.  Nothing special.  In LIS I've caught 36 inchers.  Major hand full,especially on light tackle.

Last year, the big blues were back in LIS.

Absolute monsters.

I was on top of one school that was so thick, the fish were hitting my boat.

It was crazy.

And I had some of those 36 inchers that you mention.

Honestly, on a super light rod a fish like that is just too much work and after I caught and released it I moved to a another location so I didn’t have to catch another, LOL.

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

Honestlty don't know.

Probably a different stock, since the management unit for the East Coast fish doesn't include the Gulf, and it's possible that the stock trends a little smaller.  Predation or forge could play a role.  Honestly never saw any data that might explain the difference.

Gotcha.

My buddy down in Miami has been getting into some nicely sized blues recently, but I'd imagine the fish that hit East Fl are a completely different stock than the Gulf fish in LA. (Not sure if the fish that winter in Fl are different from the NE fish)

From what I see off the surf in Jacksonville and midway down the coast, cocktail sized is the commonality.

18 hours ago, bbfish said:

There has been an exceptionally good run of #10+ bluefish this winter on the east coast of Florida from the Space Coast south to the Palm Beaches.

2 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

Gotcha.

My buddy down in Miami has been getting into some nicely sized blues recently, but I'd imagine the fish that hit East Fl are a completely different stock than the Gulf fish in LA. (Not sure if the fish that winter in Fl are different from the NE fish)

From what I see off the surf in Jacksonville and midway down the coast, cocktail sized is the commonality.

I don't think anyone really understands the details of bluefish stock structure in the Gulf and on the East Coast.

When I used to tag fish with American Littoral Society tags, my winter bluefish returns came from North Carolina; I never got one from farther south, and when I read the tag reports for the year, I never remember seeing a fish tagged in the northeast/mid-Atlantic returned from farther south, either.  Tagging some of Florida's east coast fish, as well as the Gulf fish, could be informative.

16 mins ago, Skolmann said:

There has been an exceptionally good run of #10+ bluefish this winter on the east coast of Florida from the Space Coast south to the Palm Beaches.

I only saw fish in the 8-10 lb range once down there, it was during the mullet run.  From a northerners perspective it was a bit of a pain to get through them to the more "desirable" species, but for the southerners fishing next to me, they were having a blast.   A good lesson on perspective.  

One main difference I noticed down there vs here is how often a hooked bluefish would just immediately get obliterated by bigger predators.  I had one about 8 lbs get eviscerated by a barracuda that looked to be in the 5' range.  Took that poor fish on a greyhounding leap a foot from the gunwale of the boat I was on.  I've been sharked on bluefish up here, but there's a long laundry list of fish down in FL that can and will take down a 5-10 lb blue like a passed appetizer. 

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

I don't think anyone really understands the details of bluefish stock structure in the Gulf and on the East Coast.

When I used to tag fish with American Littoral Society tags, my winter bluefish returns came from North Carolina; I never got one from farther south, and when I read the tag reports for the year, I never remember seeing a fish tagged in the northeast/mid-Atlantic returned from farther south, either.  Tagging some of Florida's east coast fish, as well as the Gulf fish, could be informative.

Very interesting, maybe this lack of data is why there's this "cyclical years of stocks" argument that gets thrown around.