125th Running of the National Championship

Rate this topic

gadwall8

It’s the most exciting part of winter! 29 bird dogs have qualified for the title of National Champion.

This year, we have four setters and twenty five  pointers. Weather permitting, there will be two, three hour braces run each day. at the 6000 acre Ames Plantation in Grand Junction, Tennessee. Aside from a few warm days, weather looks good for the next week.

Full reports and profiles can be found at the Ames Plantation website.

Today’s braces:

AM: 

Highground Toby &  Texas Wild Rex

PM:

Lester’s Storm Surge & Nighthawk’s Rebel

:v:

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace

Conditions were overcast at 48° and muddy at the breakaway.  Highground Toby had an unproductive at 1:45 in the Tennessee Field at the Big Oak.  He was picked up in the Morgan Field at 1:57.  Texas Wild Rex was not seen after we crossed the Morgan Field the first time, with his handler requesting the tracker at :40, thus concluding his brace.

oh well one setter down … looks like both dogs never got a real chance with this bad weather.. with 5 nice sunny days coming up I thought they might let the course dry out today .  Bad luck 

No people were ever yet benefited by riches if their prosperity corrupted their virtue....
-Theodore Roosevelt

It looks like they are hoping for better weather tomorrow. 

I watched the draw on fb the other night.  The field trial world and Ames Plantation will surely miss Dr. Carlise in his retirement.  All the best to him!

"If you want to consider what 'social security' does for and to people, look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

"If I could live my life over, I'd live it over Giglio's B&T." -Bud E. Brown

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Does anyone know who won the Continental Open All-Age?

"If you want to consider what 'social security' does for and to people, look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

"If I could live my life over, I'd live it over Giglio's B&T." -Bud E. Brown

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

2 hours ago, Otter said:

one would think that’s plenty of room to share the (public) resource with fellow outdoorsmen but they clench at tire tracks 

Spoken like the the majority of atv/ off road bike users who want a vehicle but not the cost, maintenance and responsibility of ownership.  
1.  It’s not public , it is owned by the Hobart Ames Foundation which graciously partners with U if T and provides for the running of field trials. 
2. We have 1500 acres we use for dog training/ hunting in S Jersey and spend countless hours and gallons of diesel fixing damage from trespassing dirt bikes/ atvs.  Also 6000acres is not really that big. 

No people were ever yet benefited by riches if their prosperity corrupted their virtue....
-Theodore Roosevelt

3 mins ago, mybeach said:

Is there any shooting going on during these trials?

No just blanks. Short version dog points .. you dismount .. hopefully flush birds.. shoot blanks.. hopefully dog maintains perfect manners , frozen during flush and shot.  There are trials that have shooting and retrieving .. but not the biggest All age trials that are evaluating extreme levels of speed , range , stamina (3 hours at a sprint to finish brace) and nose.   This trial is the equivalent of the Kentucky Derby for hunting dogs . A repeat win is as rare as a triple crown. 

-Theodore Roosevelt

3 hours ago, buckmaster said:

Spoken like the the majority of atv/ off road bike users who want a vehicle but not the cost, maintenance and responsibility of ownership.  
1.  It’s not public , it is owned by the Hobart Ames Foundation which graciously partners with U if T and provides for the running of field trials. 
2. We have 1500 acres we use for dog training/ hunting in S Jersey and spend countless hours and gallons of diesel fixing damage from trespassing dirt bikes/ atvs.  Also 6000acres is not really that big. 

Spoken like a real hillbilly tramp.
1. I don’t care and

1a. nobody tells me what to do. 

confirmed problematic