Jump to content

Lexa HD vs Lexa TW

Rate this topic


Michael_s_fishing

Recommended Posts

I have both and I am not a fan of the TW. It is smaller and lighter and just does not feel like the same reel.  I notice absolutely no difference in distance. The TW is on the bottom . It doesn’t get a lot of use. The handle is also much smaller and without the weight on the opposite side it does not balance out. Maybe it is not, but it just feels “cheaper”. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

IMG_2396.jpeg.8619bed33fc063b00afda1afe81d2eb2.jpeg

Edited by mtl50
Tight Lines and High Tides Forever! mtl50
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a few lexa reels standard, winn, hd, etc.

I built a century for the 400 Tw.

Didn't put all that much time on it and the outings I did use it....wasn't impressed....may have been more to do with the rod than the reel.

 

I can say that I don't share the same sentiment as MTL50.

 

It's a more cmpact frame (400)

 

I also look at stock handles as a starting point.  Tons of upgrades available for cheap if the handle isn't the length you prefer.  Not saying the handle shouldn't be right....from the beginning...but some have preferences that don't line up with stock offerings....

 

I magged a saltiga 15 slow pitch....for casting....can't blame the reel for not liking the excessively long handle....sorta apples to apples.....which reminds me...gotta find a handle I like for it.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

I have a few lexa reels standard, winn, hd, etc.

I built a century for the 400 Tw.

Didn't put all that much time on it and the outings I did use it....wasn't impressed....may have been more to do with the rod than the reel.

 

I can say that I don't share the same sentiment as MTL50.

 

It's a more cmpact frame (400)

 

I also look at stock handles as a starting point.  Tons of upgrades available for cheap if the handle isn't the length you prefer.  Not saying the handle shouldn't be right....from the beginning...but some have preferences that don't line up with stock offerings....

 

I magged a saltiga 15 slow pitch....for casting....can't blame the reel for not liking the excessively long handle....sorta apples to apples.....which reminds me...gotta find a handle I like for it.

It is compact and because of that it just doesn’t fit as well. I don’t get why everyone is going compact. Again my opinion. In my mind when you buy a higher end reel you shouldn’t have to tinker with it. Not disagreeing with scoob just a different perspective. 

Tight Lines and High Tides Forever! mtl50
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2024 at 8:39 PM, Michael_s_fishing said:

Im looking to get a casting reel for throwing plugs from a boat for a 844c loomis pro blue. Im in between the lexa hd and tw, they both seem like good options so just curious for some opinions of people who have used them. 

imho it should be a no brainer, stainless internals=boat=wet ect,,, the hdsp is the direction to go just from a durability standpoint.

I have 2 400 hdsp's and although I have never fished the lighter duty (imo)they are the gems.

pretrip them before getting them wet and you're good to go for the season.

just wash it off let it drip dry.

HH

IMG_20200607_061218.jpg.1ab69a96cf02ce558d84155c61afe973.jpg

 

 

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy using my TW more than the HD.  The TW sits slightly lower.  It's supposed to cast better because of the T-Wing but I bottom fish with mine so I can't corroborate.  I had the Tranx but the drag star operated over a short range, meaning a tiny turn would make the drag very tight (or loose if turning in the opposite direction).

Edited by husonfirst
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2024 at 10:09 PM, scoobydoo said:

I have a few lexa reels standard, winn, hd, etc.

I built a century for the 400 Tw.

Didn't put all that much time on it and the outings I did use it....wasn't impressed....may have been more to do with the rod than the reel.

 

I can say that I don't share the same sentiment as MTL50.

 

It's a more cmpact frame (400)

 

I also look at stock handles as a starting point.  Tons of upgrades available for cheap if the handle isn't the length you prefer.  Not saying the handle shouldn't be right....from the beginning...but some have preferences that don't line up with stock offerings....

 

I magged a saltiga 15 slow pitch....for casting....can't blame the reel for not liking the excessively long handle....sorta apples to apples.....which reminds me...gotta find a handle I like for it.

Noted, fwiw Im looking at a 300 model. I haven’t held a hd in person yet just the the TW but it was surprisingly small. Any durability concerns between them? The HD seems to be intended for stripers and salt but the TW seems to be marketed as a t wing equipped, slightly upgraded,  and more compact version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ive bought and heavily used my lexa 400tw since it came out back in 2021, i did pre service it the day i bought it but its never needed a service since and it still feels brand new. Ive owned a handful of  lexa hds and they are great but i prefer the TW.  Its a lot lighter and less tiresome and seems to cast lighter lures much easier. Ive caught everything from Calico bass to 70lb bluefin on it, extremely versatile reel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2024 at 2:40 AM, Heavy Hooksetter said:

imho it should be a no brainer, stainless internals=boat=wet ect,,, the hdsp is the direction to go just from a durability standpoint.

I have 2 400 hdsp's and although I have never fished the lighter duty (imo)they are the gems.

pretrip them before getting them wet and you're good to go for the season.

just wash it off let it drip dry.

HH

IMG_20200607_061218.jpg.1ab69a96cf02ce558d84155c61afe973.jpg

 

 

What rod you got there Rod, what's it's spec and how do you like it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lou T said:

It's the line management guide on front of the Lexa TW reel. 

 

 

Ty for that LT, I have no idea if it actually works or not but, I think I would pick longevity over t-wing.

I also wonder about the pinion eating up the drive gear with it being brass. 

slowly consumed.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lou T said:

What rod you got there Rod, what's it's spec and how do you like it

Hi Lou, that's an Okuma EVX muskie rod.

it's telescopic, 9ft.3,rated 2-10 oz.

got it cheap on Amazon about 2 years ago for 66 bucks.

you can throw a double kitchen sink out there and it won't even peep.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...