Need advice on a new MFD/transducer(s) preferable that can display Suzuki engine codes

Rate this topic

Ed Z

Hi everyone, looking for MFD and transducer advice from the marine electronics experts here! With use of Suzuki engine codes

I have a 2001 Grady White Seafarer 228, 2019 Suzuki 250SSTX2, and an old Humminbird 858C. Looking to get MUCH better electronics and transducer installed.

Looking at this picture of my dash, I’m pretty sure I have room for a 9” display. I’m told if I want to display Suzuki engine data and diagnostics that the MFD needs to be a Simrad or Lowrance.

I’m located in eastern Long Island, and fish between Peconic Bay, Gardiners Bay, Napeague Bay, down to Montauk Point primarily targeting striped bass, bluefish, and fluke.

I’d say 75% of my fishing will be in 40’ or less of water, the other 25% no greater than 100’ with the majority of that 25% being 40-75 feet.

My current unit loses functionality over 10mph, so I cant cruise around looking for structure, bait, or schools holding bottom.

I’d like to be able to “see” at least to 25mph. I’d like to be able to see structure on the bottom and sides clearly, as well as being able to ID fish on the bottom.

Is a in-hull instead of transom going to be able to hold bottom better at speed? Should I be looking at 1Kw transducers? It doesnt look like Airmar makes a 3-1 Active Imaging, is that correct? Does that mean I should try and use 2 transducers? Which ones?

What recommendations do you folks have for MFDs as well as transducer(s)? Please assume I have very little technical knowledge.

Grady Seafarer electronics.jpg

You have a smg4. That doesn't require en engine interface for data and that will show you your fault codes from suzuki itself. No need to make another command fault center.  I'm a suzuki installer. 

Just buy any mfd that show engine data on the back of the box.   Make a nmea network ..buy nmea starter kit And your done.  

Yes Lowarance  and simrads are owned by the same people.

Only Garmin mfd  can contoll your fusion  radio if you want to have radio controls on your mfd as well. 

As for transducer  depends where it's mounted and the more angle you put on it it will allow a clearer screen while running.  Placement means alot.  If left flat it holds air bubbles while runing . Angle it a little and the bubble will roll off while running. Should be 1/4inch below  transom . Not flat but angle. When you start moving the water will push it back up some.    In rotation  with the prop clockwise should be on your starboard side.  Away from chines/strakes. Turn your scroll speed up and signal when moving faster. Anything with chrip is a basic standard  now. 

1kw is an offshore transducer and in hull mounted.  Not practical  on small boat  and not nessaccry imo.  As much  you will spend get livescope at that point.  For in hull transducer you can buy any . You need to find what neg or pos degree angle you need depending the bottom of your boat.  Plus you will need a 1200-2000 hole cut and the transducer fiberglass back in. They do make 1k that are transom mounted. 

The diff 100 200 500 800 hrtz is diff cone width when the transducer is beam downward. Look this up on YouTube to get a better understanding. 

The garmin 9in with the gt56uhd transducer  can be had at gpsstore under $700  for whole kit. 

Imo  livescope . Shows live time fish moving  and will show active or non active fish. You can see yoir jig head bounce off there heads multiple times. .  Stop looking for fish and start catching  every trip. This will be the diff of you fishing or catching each day. Even a beginner Fisherman will look like a pro each day with lovesope. 

I hop on boat with livescope and can be back at the dock In 2hrs with limits vs fishing all day . 

Edited by 757saltwater

You can by the most baddass transducer but if you don't understand how to use a basic fishfinder on tuning it out it will always be subpar.  

Watch some YouTube videos on how to tune out a fishfinder.  When I'm in 5ft water my adjustments are turned to low vs 20ft im around medium . Any deeper I turn to high.  Etc.  

Yes suzuki makes a gateway specifically  for simrad and lowarnce screen that plugs directly to the motor that gives faults that way to.  Since you already paid for and installed th smg4 there no need to take that route now. 

Just about anyone these days will want nmea to expand and Integrate other device into there network. Imo this is a better setup for you and gives you two area to  see engine Data while using your mfd for nav or finding fish. 

I very much appreciate 757's comments, especially about tuning the unit in different conditions/depths/speed. I know I could do better with the Garmin UHD 94v with the 54 series transducer. Side view is awesome and will be better when I go to school on tuning! (I am technology challenged) But I love my Garmin and will do the work to get more out of it. All I need for 20'CC. I have it mounted on top of the console in the quick release mount and take it down and store below in a cushioned laptop case. Had a Raymarine and hated it. Rep dissed me at RIISA one year when I pressed him for help tuning it and he only wanted to upsell me. So I never give up a chance to crap on Raymarine.

6 hours ago, 757saltwater said:

You have a smg4. That doesn't require en engine interface for data and that will show you your fault codes from suzuki itself. No need to make another command fault center.  I'm a suzuki installer. 

Thank you for your reply! In the owners manual, it said when you start the engine you should see all the warning lights briefly come on, similar to a car. I dont see those come on. I'm not very technical, so it worries me something isn't hooked up right or working properly and I may not see a warning if one develops. That's why I was thinking of displaying the codes/engine data on a Suzuki compatible display. 

Imo  livescope . Shows live time fish moving  and will show active or non active fish. You can see yoir jig head bounce off there heads multiple times. .  Stop looking for fish and start catching  every trip. This will be the diff of you fishing or catching each day. Even a beginner Fisherman will look like a pro each day with lovesope. 

I hop on boat with livescope and can be back at the dock In 2hrs with limits vs fishing all day

Does livescope need to be mounted to a trolling motor? That's a whole other topic I am struggling with. I'd love to be able to hold a spot near a rip instead of having to make drift after drift starting and stopping my engine. I have a large anchor pulpit on the bow so not sure I can put a trolling motor there?

Grady Pulpit.jpg

I hate transom mounted ducers.  Never seen one work well above planing speeds.

I had an old school thru-hull transducer under a fiaring block with my old furuno; and while it worked better than a transom mount, it still wasn't great.

When I upgraded I went with an airmar tilted element through-hull.  No glassing required, and is proud to the bottom by maybe 1/8 of an inch.  Now I can (at least in the depths you are talking) see the bottom at 30mph albeit with some 'static' depending on the speed

air_b75c-12-l_01.jpg

5 hours ago, Kml said:

If you are looking for structure as you are moving the nicest upgrade I did was to add relief shading charts to my GPS.

I have Garmin so the navionics was the only option but there are others.

That's pretty nice. I have a Navionics+ US East  in the old Humminbird, but I'm assuming it's too old to display the shading. 

5 hours ago, Kml said:

Screenshot_20231001-203041.png

Navionics makes the best fishfinders IMHO-  the clarity is unsurpassed and down- and sidescan.   Im not a fan of livescope-   but then again, I dont go fishing to "fill my limit"....I'm in it for the enjoyment I get from trying to catch fish.

its all about da fishes...

I'm also trying to decide if I want to redo the whole console so I can get a 12" in there, or, go with a 9/10" and mount my iPad to the back of the captains chair. I fish from the back of the boat, and the 7" existing screen is too small to see from back there. My understanding is Simrad and Lowrance allow you to send real time data to your iPad, so if I could mount that to the back of the chair I can see what's happening under/around the boat with ease. 

I googled around and found something called a Tackform Megaclamp that looks like it would be able to clamp to the top of the chair. Then when I move the boat, detach, and when doing drifts reattach. Has anyone done something like this?

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 4.46.49 PM.png

IMG_7346.jpeg

Edited by Ed Z

@EdZ Bass Pro Shops has the following for $799.97

Garmin ECHOMAP UHD Touch 94sv Fish Finder/Chartplotter Combo with GT54UHD-TM Transducer and Garmin Navionics+

Or you could pay $500 more to get the GT56 transducer....

I have my bracket mounted on top of my console so I can see it from behind the leaning post as well. (1993 Grady White Escape 209) I put it away when I leave the boat.

Sorry the pics posted sideways... I don't know why that happened...

Top pic, you can see the old 7" Raymarine POS inside the console.

Middle pic was during fuel tank replacement, but I had already installed the Garmin 94 bracket the previous summer.

Last pic was all I had showing it underway.

61677729244__D8923483-C636-473B-ABBA-D8D7C41812A3.JPG

69687240920__CD61061B-5687-4DD2-ACAE-99A2FC9E87C2.jpg

IMG_8292.JPG

Edited by nightfighter

33 mins ago, nightfighter said:

@EdZ Bass Pro Shops has the following for $799.97

Garmin ECHOMAP UHD Touch 94sv Fish Finder/Chartplotter Combo with GT54UHD-TM Transducer and Garmin Navionics+

Or you could pay $500 more to get the GT56 transducer....

I have my bracket mounted on top of my console so I can see it from behind the leaning post as well. (1993 Grady White Escape 209) I put it away when I leave the boat.

Sorry the pics posted sideways... I don't know why that happened...

Top pic, you can see the old 7" Raymarine POS inside the console.

Middle pic was during fuel tank replacement, but I had already installed the Garmin 94 bracket the previous summer.

Last pic was all I had showing it underway.

61677729244__D8923483-C636-473B-ABBA-D8D7C41812A3.JPG

69687240920__CD61061B-5687-4DD2-ACAE-99A2FC9E87C2.jpg

IMG_8292.JPG

I had that same unit on my last boat I used a ram mount on top of the center console and it was great. 

Screenshot_20240217-103346.png