Jump to content

Reel for ODM Genesis Rod

Rate this topic


Bob S.

Recommended Posts

Recently purchased the ODM Genesis 9 1/2' NXGX 9635 and are looking to match it up with a new reel..I do have numerous size 4000 and 5000 reels but prefer to put a new reel on the rod..looking for a reel that is on the light weight side bc of shoulder issues say < 19 ozs.  an feedback would be appreciated..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 mins ago, D_L said:

I have a Saragossa 5000 on mine. Seems to pair well.

Been looking at that model for the rod..have a Salt x 4000 and a 6000 and 4 too small and 6 too big in my judgement

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 mins ago, Bob S. said:

Been looking at that model for the rod..have a Salt x 4000 and a 6000 and 4 too small and 6 too big in my judgement

The Saragossa model I have uses the same body for 5 and 6k. It just uses a 5k spool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 min ago, Bob S. said:

I have that reel sitting in it's box..are u happy with it's casting distance and line lay..

Yes, I had to change the shim on it to get the line lay flat. I also took the bail trip out to make it a manual bail, I do this with all my reels. It cast great, drag is great. Pretty much 95% of my spinning reels are Penn. Easy maint, and built like a tank.  I have a 6500 Slammer also for a different set  up. The spinfisher  I really like better. I use it on a 11'DNA rod. I use 30# 832 braid on her.  If you have one already, svae the cash and give it a shot. 

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

Yes, I had to change the shim on it to get the line lay flat. I also took the bail trip out to make it a manual bail, I do this with all my reels. It cast great, drag is great. Pretty much 95% of my spinning reels are Penn. Easy maint, and built like a tank.  I have a 6500 Slammer also for a different set  up. The spinfisher  I really like better. I use it on a 11'DNA rod. I use 30# 832 braid on her.  If you have one already, svae the cash and give it a shot. 

Thanks for your input..I have the 10' Genesis with my ZB 27 on it..looks like I will take your advice and save some $..I also have a Century 9'6'' Sling Shot I built with a 5000 Penn Clash on it..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bob S. said:

Thanks for your input..I have the 10' Genesis with my ZB 27 on it..looks like I will take your advice and save some $..I also have a Century 9'6'' Sling Shot I built with a 5000 Penn Clash on it..

That sounds great. You won't have any problems with the Penn. This way you can save some money now, and if you want something different get it later. What I like also on the Penn's is the thicker wire bail they use. I have 3 Spinfishers I use, 2 are 3500 on my whithing/pompano setups.  Tight lines

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the 9' paired with a vr75 and have even tried a VS100 with it before as well. Absolute joy to walk the beach and backbays and fish with during the warmer months for schoolies and albies. My gosa 6000 is just a tad heavy for the 9' just because the rod is so thin, I'd assume it'll feel better on the 9'6". I'm sure it wouldnt bother some but my gosa 6000 has much heavier braid than what I would use for a light tackle genesis

Edited by HYB_Living
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...