Which CTS rod to pick?

Rate this topic

cabezon

Looking for a 12 ft for a bait bombing setup (4 oz lead + bait). Want something that can get the bait out as far as possible and has enough stiffness for me to feel confident about winching some fish up the rocks when needed. Going for rockfish, cabezon and lingcod here on the West Coast. Heard good things about CTS and wondering which one of their series would be best?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by cabezon

On 2/10/2024 at 3:44 PM, cabezon said:

Looking for a 12 ft for a bait bombing setup (4 oz lead + bait). Want something that can get the bait out as far as possible and has enough stiffness for me to feel confident about winching some fish up the rocks when needed. Going for rockfish, cabezon and lingcod here on the West Coast. Heard good things about CTS and wondering which one of their series would be best?

Thanks in advance!

I've got two CTS rods built by Nicks Custom Rods.  They are crazy light and by far the best surf rods that I own.  I own a 1305 and 1306, both of them can handle 8oz plus bait.  The 1306 would probably be too stiff for what you are trying to do.  I would look into the 1305, it is rated 6-10oz but it would bomb 4oz without an issue.

You can also get a 1304 which is rated 4-8oz, but I would prefer the 1305 because if you need to go up in weight, the rod can handle it.  

Both of mine are built as conventional set ups with Fuji MN guides.  Reach out to Nick at Nicks Custom Rods, he will give the best advice regarding CTS rods.  

Another option to consider would be a Daiwa Ballistic blank and have it build for you.  Try and find a maroon or red blank, the 35-405 model would fit your needs.  It is a 3 piece rod which makes it very easy to travel with.  I own three of them - maroon, red, and OG silver. 

Lastly, check out Vegas Potenza 420.  Another 3 piece rod and it comes with an adjustable reel seat.  It's my travel surf rod if need to get on a plane. 

Edited by animalbarrie