RIP Cathy Beck

Rate this topic

flyangler

The Becks were an amazing couple and true ambassadors to our hobby. They were taking photos and some video well before YouTube, Instagram and “A River Runs Through It”. She passed as she likely would have wanted, on a trip, near the water and with her husband. 

The circumstances are a big vague but they say “peacefully” 

RIP 

IMG_1611.jpeg.dd2810ab73efa362f872649d40bc13dd.jpeg

IMG_1613.jpeg.ea77dcc300aa70efb0bc4711f62a0c8d.jpegIMG_1614.jpeg.7510d22ba42d420ad7567a2c76ff217a.jpeg

IMG_1612.jpeg.c389ed967993b06476ae706b1a2b43a1.jpeg

Edited by flyangler

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

More details 

IMG_1615.jpeg.34e314f52e89f2abeff5215a67e4b2cc.jpeg

Fly-fishing legend Cathy Beck passed away suddenly on February 7, 2024, while hosting a group of fly fishers at Laguna Verde Lodge, aka “Jurassic Lake,” in a remote region of Argentina. She was 71 years old.

Cathy and her husband Barry were there hosting a group of fly fishers traveling with Frontiers International. Cathy and Barry have been travel hosts for Frontiers since 1992, and have frequently spent more than 300 days a year on the road in exotic locations from New Zealand to the Bighorn River in Montana. They especially loved photo safaris in Africa.

Cathy and Barry have been an influential force in fly fishing since they first opened the fly shop Fishing Creek Outfitters in Benton, Pennsylvania together in 1988. In the decades that followed they have offered schools, clinics, and private classes on their home waters in Pennsylvania, gave presentations at fly-fishing shows across the country, and have been leading contributors at Fly Fisherman magazine for more than four decades. They have taught, entertained, and influenced tens of thousands of people during that time.

Cathy was the first woman ever to appear on the cover of Fly Fisherman(1991) and has likely been on the cover more than any other person. They have been published in almost every major fishing publication imaginable, including Saltwater Fly Fishing, Fishing in Salt Waters, Game & Fish, Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Gray’s Sporting Journal, Big Sky Journal, and Montana Outdoors.

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Wow.  Too young.

Embolism from flight to Argentina maybe?  So sad.  RIP.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

Didn't the Becks develop a particular system for developing flies? I associate the name with "ALF," the Anchovy Looking Fly.

I'll post a thread in Fly Tying inviting the knowledgeable to discuss their flies.

I recall reading that excessive exposure to acetone gave them health problems.

50 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Didn't the Becks develop a particular system for developing flies? I associate the name with "ALF," the Anchovy Looking Fly.

The Alf is Bill and Kate Howes’ pattern.

I remember getting the Beckies catalog each year.  Before the internet and smart phones everyone had paper calendars hanging in their office.  The Becks seemed to account for the photo for most months, year after year,  in the fly fishing themed calendars in my office space.  I’ll bet they took hundreds of thousands of pictures.  It didn’t hurt that they were pretty photogenic themselves.

RIP Cathy.

3 hours ago, JohnDe said:

The Alf is Bill and Kate Howes’ pattern.

I remember getting the Beckies catalog each year.  Before the internet and smart phones everyone had paper calendars hanging in their office.  The Becks seemed to account for the photo for most months, year after year,  in the fly fishing themed calendars in my office space.  I’ll bet they took hundreds of thousands of pictures.  It didn’t hurt that they were pretty photogenic themselves.

RIP Cathy.

My error, sorry.

I fished out there a few times in the mid 90's and she was very helpful in the shop. They had some private access that you paid like $5 for a wooden chip and there was a drop box on a tree in the parking lot where you put it back.

One of the funniest parts was one day we were rolling up to the shop and Cathy was out mowing the lawn. 

Glamorous pretty lady on the cover of the magazine out mowing the lawn. We are not that different. 

RIP Cathy and thank you for taking us along.