SPEY CASTING WITH A SKAGIT LINE

Rate this topic

reel em in

Is it still spey casting?

I asked Mike O and he says yes. 

I was using a 475 gr Skagit 20 ft head and a 10’ floating T11 Mow tip. Total approx 595 gr. 
Total head would be 30 ft plus the running line. 
I had great results with my Thomas and Thomas 11 ft Exocett Surf Fly Rod. 
Tom

I've got a similar set up with one of the Sci Anglers multi tips.   I don't think they offer that product anymore. I'm still very much a noob.  Some days I do fairly well and others not so much.  A friend of mine just forwarded me a contact for a spey casting instructor who is within reasonable driving distance.  Mike O highly recommends formalized instruction, and I'm going to follow that sound advice.  I really enjoy fishing with the two handed rod, and it's been very productive for me catching speckled trout in the Intracoastal Waterway and coastal creeks here.  

44 mins ago, bmac said:

I've got a similar set up with one of the Sci Anglers multi tips.   I don't think they offer that product anymore. I'm still very much a noob.  Some days I do fairly well and others not so much.  A friend of mine just forwarded me a contact for a spey casting instructor who is within reasonable driving distance.  Mike O highly recommends formalized instruction, and I'm going to follow that sound advice.  I really enjoy fishing with the two handed rod, and it's been very productive for me catching speckled trout in the Intracoastal Waterway and coastal creeks here.  

Spey casting is a lot of fun.
You should post a video of your Casting and send it to Mike O with a PM. If you don’t want to put it out in public.

He will help you out. Get a jump start on it. 

I did one with my two hand casting awhile ago on SOL. Out in public. 

No instructor for me. I can’t put up with the BS. 

Don’t get excited Mike it’s all fun. 

I just dialed in my 11 foot and 13 foot spey rod and line all by myself. 

Tom

Edited by reel em in

Tom,

I still am saying yes. Water borne anchors normally associated with Skagit lines is spey casting. We also use SH and long head spey lines to cast with water sustained anchors. Skagit really is just a name given to short head fly lines.  Water borne casts were in existence way before Skagit lines came into being. I don’t think it helps that we call it Skagit casting. No such thing. We are spey casting full stop. 
I was at the BFFI in Stafford UK today and was teaching with my mentor Jim Fearn sustained water casts, snap T and C on grass to new guys. They all picked it up within ten attempts to a level that would have them very happily fishing. 14 foot 9 wt rod, brand not significant line was  relevant in my opinion. A Rio New Game Changer which has the back end of the head as an Intermediate. Rio replacement tip S3 15 foot long. This set up might not make purist long head spey line users happy. And some I am sure would thumb their noses at this set up. Very silly. I have zero time for snobs. Even on grass it was child’s play providing the rod pathway was reasonable,to produce nice looking casts and to get nice fishing distances. I do mean child’s play. Fishing hopefully is not supposed to be super hard unless you like it that way.

Spey casting especially water  borne is way easier than overhead. It is also a very enjoyable thing to do. I am now a confirmed addict.

But Tom not going to take this addiction to the ocean front. Your turn now not to get excited. 

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Thanks Mike

I can always count on you for an informative reply.  

You need a beach buggy to find the cuts . Look for the cuts 2 hours before low 1 hour after low and pay attention to the wind.

Favorable wind tomorrow.  I have 18 miles of beach for scouting. I will be spey casting my dialed in 13' ft spey rod. The old one.  I haven't received the new Sage rod yet.

Tom

8 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Tom

Wind can be our friend or our enemy. I do try very hard not to capitulate to it solely by its direction. The challenge is the drug which is the reason I got into TH surf rod fly fishing all those years ago.

mike

Mike 

As I posted previously, I try to work with the wind not fight it. I try to find someplace to fly cast back bay or out front. The only bad wind is West.  Then I have a day off. 

I’m going to post a video of my spey casting when I received my new Sage rod so you can have a laugh. 

I just  have to get the camera lady on board. 

Tom

Mike
You said previously You drive 20,000 miles a year. Gas is expensive where you are. That’s a lot of driving. We are approx $3 a gallon. 

I’m lucky if I drive that in two years. 

How far are you from the water?

I live on Long Beach Island, New Jersey, approximately 1 mile wide and 18 miles

long and 6 miles out to sea. Surrounded by water. Lol

Tom

Tom

Yes gas is expensive but my diesel Passat on the Motorway will return approx 60 miles to a UK.gallon.which is a bit bigger than the US gallon. We pay roughly, $10 a gallon. Cost per mile 60 cents. Of course we have gas guzzling SUV's to. My Trout lakes are 32 to 70 miles away. Nearest beach 136 miles away. Salmon fishing 70 miles to 350. I have signed up to two more beats this year so my annual.mulage could increase to 30,000 in the UK. My Irish trips are 2000 miles.and when I come to NA another 2000. And our.vehicle licencing agency take away my ticket . I am a danger. No accidents in more than 30 years counts for zip. What counts is a tick box over the phone questionnaire.

You are fortunate to have your fishing very local.  Ok If I fished for pan fish then 10 miles puts me on good water.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

5 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

No one is going to laugh at your casting video. 

Mike

We shall see. 

I’ll tell you what I’ll give you a preview before I post it. Then you can laugh and tell me all the things I’m doing wrong.
How’s that sound?

All in the fun of it. 

Tom