2022 F250 Super Duty Battery

1 hour ago, reel em in said:

I don’t even know if the battery jump box would work. 
When Ford roadside assist showed up, He had a jumper box

Battery read 3

After he  hooked it up 13.3

Told me to try and start truck 

Ignition just clicked

I asked him what number he was looking for he said 13.9

He said let it charge a minute then he says I’m going to get my jumper cables and pulled his car next to the truck. 

Hooked up to jumper cables and the truck started right up. 

Maybe he didn’t have a big enough jumper box

A F250 has to have a bigger battery than a car. 

Tom

Bxt65750 has 750 cold cranking amps. Since it was warranty Ford mandates the same battery put back in. Motorcraft has an 850 cca too. My car for example had a battery with 590. I don’t have any of that stupid start stop stuff. Those require the AGM batteries. If you want a good portable jump pack take a look at NOCO boost plus. 

“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.”

33 mins ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

Bxt65750 has 750 cold cranking amps. Since it was warranty Ford mandates the same battery put back in. Motorcraft has an 850 cca too. My car for example had a battery with 590. I don’t have any of that stupid start stop stuff. Those require the AGM batteries. If you want a good portable jump pack take a look at NOCO boost plus. 

I was looking at this one a few days ago 

I wonder if it would work if the battery was dead like three on his scale

IMG_5740.png

IMG_5741.png

My van has a trick pull out battery "drawer".

Originally had 4 batteries in it, now has two but thinking to add one more for a block warmer for the diesel so it won't effect he starting batteries. That jump start tool looks like a good idea. Like that I could keep it in the van and have it available for boat duty too as the van is my towing vehicle.

image.jpeg.dfa59fd648eba30e65790cb2bfab2050.jpeg

2 hours ago, reel em in said:

I was looking at this one a few days ago 

I wonder if it would work if the battery was dead like three on his scale

IMG_5740.png

IMG_5741.png

These work great.  I have one that is in my go bag that I keep in my car.  It's 1000a.  I've only needed to use it once.  My battery wasn't totally dead but my car started right up.  I have one at work to that the techs use.  I don't recall the amps on that.  Probably this one.  I think the only time we have had issues is on bigger trucks and the battery is stone cold completely dead.  There may have been other reasons it didn't get the truck started too.   Either way it's worth having I think.

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.”

Fwiw, the engineering test mode was interesting.  Had to scroll through a couple dozen things I don’t understand but it does give you battery volts.  Off, then while cranking and running.  Battery has probably done about all the cycles it’s gonna do 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

1 hour ago, Plug and teaser said:

Sounds more like an electrical problem to me, maybe something drawing on the battery when the truck is off.

Wouldn't take much.

They tested for that.  No draw.

They said on their invoice the new battery is working as it should be.

I just have to believe them.  

Tom

14 hours ago, JimW said:

I’m thinking my battery problem might be because I don’t drive any distance except during fishing season.  Over the winter often just a couple miles several times a week which isn’t enough to charge the battery sufficiently.  Does this sound plausible?

It sounds probable, look at the amount of juice your alternator puts out, at what rpm, and how long it takes to put back what you take out starting the engine. My Ram never really shuts off, if I am not driving a lot, it goes on a 3 amp battery tender. I am going to run some wire out through the wheel well so I don't need to lift the hood.

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Jeff Cooper

On 2/11/2024 at 8:23 AM, reel em in said:

Yes 

The dealer told me I have exceptionally low mileage, 4000 miles on the truck. It’s coming up on two years old. 

They recommended a trickle charge. 

But I’m not going to do that. 
they said I failed the GR8 test. Then they said I had a bad cell  in the battery.  Who knows but I got a new battery now.  

I trade my trucks in every three years. 

So if I can make another year and a half great. 

I’m thinking of carrying a battery jumpstart. When I drive the beach every day, I get very close to the water and park the truck. If it doesn’t start and I have an incoming tide and I’ve got big problems. Recently I’ve been parking high above the water line.  All this happened this past week.
Tom

I always done the same and bought a new truck every 3 or4 years.

I've kept my current Super Duty longer than any truck I've ever owned, it's a '17. There was no way I was paying the Covid mark-up dealers were asking, and I do like this truck.

When I order a truck, I always order the dual battery option. For some reason, it got deleted from the order. I'll be ordering a new truck in the next 12 months now that inventory shortages have settled down and truck sales have slowed.

If it makes you feel any better, I've replaced my battery 4 times since new. My current battery is from Batteries Plus, it's a high-end Duracell that's seems to be holding up the best.

Best of luck

Edited by Dogfish Between Jetties

@Dogfish Between Jetties

Very nice post.

I always trade my trucks in before the manufacturers warranty runs out. For  Ford. It’s 36 months.
This truck came in during Covid and when I went down to look at it, it had a $7500 markup on it, The dealer never charge me for.  
In fact, I signed all the paperwork on my tailgate of the new truck outside. I didn’t even have to go inside. We both wore masks. I’ll never forget that.

Causeway Ford great dealership. 

Back to the batteries

I would think a battery should last three years. It always did. So it might be a bad cell in the battery.

I’m still thinking of carrying a jump pack. I’ll post what I do.

Tom