2022 F250 Super Duty Battery

F 250 Super Duty is not even two years old. Truck went dead twice.  Fob wouldn’t even open the door.  Glad they  still have a key entry. 

Happened twice.

First time about two months ago park the truck in my driveway and it went completely dead. 
Fob wouldn’t even open the door. 

I thought maybe I left the light on or something so I jump started the truck 

Ran fine for two months.

Second time
Came home parked truck went to move it at three in the afternoon and the truck was dead So  figured I better call Ford roadside assistance to get it on the computer. They wanted to come out that afternoon. I said just come out tomorrow morning. They were there at 7 AM. Jump started the truck and told me to take it into service to have a diagnostic check. I called Causeway, Ford. They told me to bring it in right away. I was there in an hour

The next they called and said I had a bad battery. Bad cell. 
It failed the GR8 tool test.
All under warranty.
Who would think a new truck would have a bad battery?

These batteries are $300 now. Maybe more from a dealer. Plus installation. 

I drive the beach every day even in the winter. I’m glad it didn’t happen out there as shown in the picture.

I don’t think Ford roadside assistance would come out on the beach. 
Tom

IMG_5659.jpeg

Edited by reel em in

Bad cells happen.  I bet we all have a similar experience.  

Gasser, or diesel?  I'm guessing gasser as the diesel has two batteries.  be glad that wasn't it.  

It’s possible you got a bad battery.  The dealer will have also reset the BMS which needs to recognize the new battery.  My 2019 F150 started putting up a message that the BMS was turning off the display to save battery. Turn off or start.  Then wiper fluid was low (isn’t) and the dash lights were dimming which I didn’t touch.  Figured low voltage sensor errors.  It was about 8F here so no doubt stressed battery. Battery was at 12.2v per multi meter.  Put charger on and got 12.7.  Charger has agm mode.  Drove it a little,  wouldn’t allow me to change transmission mode so checked it- 11.88v.  Put it on charger again, got 13v.  Took the dog for 20 minute drive, 12.6v.  Read normal range should be 12.3-12.8 so we’ll see.  Might be fine. 4 yo battery so maybe just end of useful life.  It’s always started so I’ll just keep an eye on it for a little longer. Also read last night that there’s a battery voltage check in truck’s engineering mode which I’ll try and find.  Hold “ok”, turn key to accessory until screen changes and scroll to battery.  

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

The quality of the batteries made today are junk.  I work at a Ford dealer.  We have been selling batteries like crazy.  There is one particular AGM battery that is garbage.  Easily selling in the shop 2-3 every single day.  I've been a Ford guy all my life and sadly quality isn't job number one anymore.

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.”

31 mins ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

The quality of the batteries made today are junk.  I work at a Ford dealer.  We have been selling batteries like crazy.  There is one particular AGM battery that is garbage.  Easily selling in the shop 2-3 every single day.  I've been a Ford guy all my life and sadly quality isn't job number one anymore.

Maybe you can answer this for me. I tried searching, but I can’t find the answer.
My battery part number is

BXT 65 750

Is this AGM battery?

Thanks

Tom

2 mins ago, reel em in said:

Maybe you can answer this for me. I tried searching, but I can’t find the answer.
My battery part number is

BXT 65 750

Is this AGM battery?

Thanks

Tom

No that one isn't. All AGM batteries will have AGM right on the label.

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

1 hour ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

I’m thinking my battery problem might be because I don’t drive any distance except during fishing season.  Over the winter often just a couple miles several times a week which isn’t enough to charge the battery sufficiently.  Does this sound plausible?

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

6 mins ago, JimW said:

I’m thinking my battery problem might be because I don’t drive any distance except during fishing season.  Over the winter often just a couple miles several times a week which isn’t enough to charge the battery sufficiently.  Does this sound plausible?

I’m on the parts side of the business. Not a tech. I can only say what I see us selling regularly. I know we have had brand new vehicles on the lot that had dead batteries from sitting for long periods of time. Vehicles are meant to be driven. I have a 2015 Fusion and I’m on my third battery. 

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Yes 

The dealer told me I have exceptionally low mileage, 4000 miles on the truck. It’s coming up on two years old. 

They recommended a trickle charge. 

But I’m not going to do that. 
they said I failed the GR8 test. Then they said I had a bad cell  in the battery.  Who knows but I got a new battery now.  

I trade my trucks in every three years. 

So if I can make another year and a half great. 

I’m thinking of carrying a battery jumpstart. When I drive the beach every day, I get very close to the water and park the truck. If it doesn’t start and I have an incoming tide and I’ve got big problems. Recently I’ve been parking high above the water line.  All this happened this past week.
Tom

Edited by reel em in

You say it’s gas , you may be able to pick up the second battery tray (for diesel applications) and install a second battery , cheap insurance for long beach rides. I got stuck on the beach once . Battery post broke off internally. Took two trucks to jump start me. After that episode always two batteries for me .

BLM - Bass Lives Matter 

Race - human like everyone else

I don’t even know if the battery jump box would work. 
When Ford roadside assist showed up, He had a jumper box

Battery read 3

After he  hooked it up 13.3

Told me to try and start truck 

Ignition just clicked

I asked him what number he was looking for he said 13.9

He said let it charge a minute then he says I’m going to get my jumper cables and pulled his car next to the truck. 

Hooked up to jumper cables and the truck started right up. 

Maybe he didn’t have a big enough jumper box

A F250 has to have a bigger battery than a car. 

Tom