Jump to content

Slotted Rotor Cups - Name One Advantage?

Rate this topic


SC

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I prefer this older model VS. I wish they were all like this with the solid rotor and torpedo handle. I think the slotted spool and rotor cup are marketing ideas. 

IMG_5660.jpeg

If Van Stall would do a retro version that has the same features as this I would definitely get back on board. The reel above is a tool fit for its design. Not a status or fashion statement of the VS of  present in my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I prefer this older model VS. I wish they were all like this with the solid rotor and torpedo handle. I think the slotted spool and rotor cup are marketing ideas. 

IMG_5660.jpeg

my old Mitchell-Garcia 300's.  It was the mid-70s when the skirted spools started.  They were tacky loooong as heck.  Weird to see what they have evolved/devolved into today.  After a couple-three decades away from fishing it is sort of entertaining to see the Transformers inspired reel designs.  I kinda do like these designs but, like the OP, I am puzzled why the holes & slots matter but meh, probably just saves the mfgs money on materials more than anything .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, saxon59 said:

For people who swim or dunk their reel, I always thought holes in the rotor cup were for reducing water pressure behind the spool when the spool stroke was retracting, allowing water to come out easier.

4 - 1/4" holes in the back of the rotor cup, which was "standard: for decades will eliminate hydro-lock AND not splash water all over

Edited by SC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, saxon59 said:

For people who swim or dunk their reel, I always thought holes in the rotor cup were for reducing water pressure behind the spool when the spool stroke was retracting, allowing water to come out easier.

Why The Surfcaster used to drill the cup of older Luxor and Crack reels.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, FalmouthFisher said:

Why are you saying weight reduction can’t be mentioned as an advantage?  
 

Reducing the weight of a rotating component like that has more advantages than just making the reel lighter.  Look at how much effort Daiwa has put into their latest Exist and Saltiga rotors to reduce their weight.

 

you can say you don’t care, but it doesn’t change the facts.  

No I understand weight is being removed, that is obvious. Weight removed is the unknown factor so that's why any response about weight is little more than a guess. Whether it's your guess or my guess I don't change something that I know affects me 100% of the time for an unknown negligable weight saving. If weight is such a concern I'd bet 90% of the slotted head crew is adding weight by using bails and power handles which in my opinion make uo for any weight saving gained by slotting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I prefer this older model VS. I wish they were all like this with the solid rotor and torpedo handle. I think the slotted spool and rotor cup are marketing ideas. 

IMG_5660.jpeg

Delrin torpedo is so mid-90’s. Nowadays titanium is what you need. 

IMG_9678.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I prefer this older model VS. I wish they were all like this with the solid rotor and torpedo handle. I think the slotted spool and rotor cup are marketing ideas. 

IMG_5660.jpeg

This is the custom version I had made. No side slots, Derlin, not Alumunium handle knob, timed to 4 o'clock

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ged said:

1) More vortex :) (this is all the rage with the younger generation)

2) Marginal weight savings

3) It splashes water on you, to help stay cool when fishing for tarpon in Florida

4) People think it looks cool

Thanks, I think you pretty much nailed it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the record, I had the first generation bolt on side cover VS300. For anyone that hasn’t had one, it was bigger than the next version. It is a very cool reel, but parts are not available. I finally sold mine to a collector in the Mid-West. Member here that may have 4 of these first generation VS300 reels. 

Edited by ged
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 mins ago, SC said:

No I understand weight is being removed, that is obvious. Weight removed is the unknown factor so that's why any response about weight is little more than a guess. Whether it's your guess or my guess I don't change something that I know affects me 100% of the time for an unknown negligable weight saving. If weight is such a concern I'd bet 90% of the slotted head crew is adding weight by using bails and power handles which in my opinion make uo for any weight saving gained by slotting. 

Yeah bails and power handles definitely work against you with the rotational inertia thing.  Even worse, they often require counterbalance weights to keep things from wobbling, which adds even more rotational mass.  
 

Honestly though, on a VS reel where you’re reeling against stiff seals, startup inertia isn’t something anyone is really going to be concerned with.  The added inertia probably helps you reel against the seals too. 

Edited by FalmouthFisher
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...