Slotted Rotor Cups - Name One Advantage?

Rate this topic

SC

Haven't heard of a single convincing "debate" since the inception of this now almost standard upgraded feature for decades now, I've asked many.  Please don't say "weight reduction" without stating how many grams of weight you think or know has been reduced and why it is critical. I see only disadvantages, but that's just me. So please tell me why this feature is so important and explain to me what I've been missing for so long?. I only see cold water, maybe sandy and gritty being splashed on your hands during retrieve and wasn't a fan of the "whirring" noise of air flowing thru the side rotor cups I'd heard on other's reels. I've seen many pics of user-done "drilled and slotted" rotor cups obviously out of balance. I'd like to hear one advantage? Not a bash, I really just don't get it.

C'mon men, you can't see how important more vortex is in relation to casting quality?

I'm not going to share that info here, hell, I don't even like spinning reels.

Someone else who's young can chime in and explain that science.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Reduced weight. It's not just the rotor. Take the VR & VSX series. Slots and holes literally everywhere. Probably leads to, what, 20% total weight reduction? A equivalent saving on material, especially on cast or forged parts, and recycled swarf from drilling operations. 

Screenshot_20240209_112557_eBay.jpg

Edited by Portland Bill
Pic added

For people who swim or dunk their reel, I always thought holes in the rotor cup were for reducing water pressure behind the spool when the spool stroke was retracting, allowing water to come out easier.

Hype, hype to buy another or their product. Weight is bull****, like wrist supports for fly fishermen . Make pill for guys who can’t catch fish telling them it sends out a signal when your in the zone:awhat:

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Reduced weight. It's not just the rotor. Take the VR & VSX series. Slots and holes literally everywhere. Probably leads to, what, 20% total weight reduction? 

5%, tops.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Why are you saying weight reduction can’t be mentioned as an advantage?  

Reducing the weight of a rotating component like that has more advantages than just making the reel lighter.  Look at how much effort Daiwa has put into their latest Exist and Saltiga rotors to reduce their weight.

you can say you don’t care, but it doesn’t change the facts.  

1 hour ago, saxon59 said:

For people who swim or dunk their reel, I always thought holes in the rotor cup were for reducing water pressure behind the spool when the spool stroke was retracting, allowing water to come out easier.

This would be the only thing I can think of.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I prefer this older model VS. I wish they were all like this with the solid rotor and torpedo handle. I think the slotted spool and rotor cup are marketing ideas. 

IMG_5660.jpeg

Agreed, love these old models!

4 hours ago, SC said:

I've seen many pics of user-done "drilled and slotted" rotor cups obviously out of balance. I'd like to hear one advantage? Not a bash, I really just don't get it.

For most users of a reel with holes in the cup, there is likely no real advantage. The holes and slots are probably a design feature that falls into the planned obselescence category. Although some of these reels could last for a very long time, they become obsolete due to design updates. It's similar to how GM overtook Ford 100 years ago by introducing vehicles in different colors and annual model updates.

That said, maybe in a few years we'll see a bunch of guys trying to find a way to fill all those holes in their $1000 reels to make them look cool. For what it's worth, I'm the guy who modified the Crack 300, whose post you commented on yesterday. :)

Yeah, sure, you betcha.