Saltwater Baitcaster For Surf Fishing?

Rate this topic

Salty_angler

Hi all, I recently learned that my current conventional reel, which I bought at a garage sale 2 years ago, is not the best for surfcasting. I am somewhat new to surf fishing and have done it a few times and have had success with my spinning setup. I have a  Shimano TMC-E76H 7'6" Heavy power and fast action rod. I know it's not that long for surfcasting, but I don't feel like buying a new one. I'm looking to catch mostly stripers and blues and my price range is around If you have any suggestions please include them. Thanks.

if your looking for a low profile baitcaster, a daiwa lexa 300 will fit that rod nicely and casts well. Load it with 30lb braid. I have several different setups (7ft, 9ft and 10ft) with lexa 300's on them and I have no complaints. Give them a rinse with freshwater after fishing the salt and the usual end of season maintenance you will be good to go.

welcome to the forums, and give them a search with some keywords you will find lots of great info :howdy:

Edited by Italianbuca

Two years ago I bought a Penn fhatom low profile reel. It's a fantastic reel for the money.  You can't beat a Penn for easy maintanence, and durability. The reel is as smooth as silk in operation.

Welcome to the forum from Maryland.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:01 AM, plinker said:

You can't go wrong with a Shimano Tranx.

One of the best but if he is concerned about money than not for him. Unless he can find a used one. 

Tight Lines and High Tides Forever! mtl50