Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shutterfish

power handles?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Is there any sort of alternative handle I can use for my Tica Gemini? I feel like I need something slightly bigger that can crank the line in a little faster when I need to keep my jig from sticking to the rocks in that canal. I have heard the term 'power handle' thrown around a few times before and wonderif there's something like that available for this reel.

Shutterfish

"Power handles" refer to longer handle types which offer a bit more torque / cranking power; not more speed. The bigger the handle, the slower your cranking results, since you're moving it thru a larger radius on every turn. If the issue is that your jig's so heavy your reel's laboring on the retrieve, then the bigger handle might help a bit with that.

Thanks Bill, yer right on as usualsmile.gif

"Power handle" implies a greater mechanical advantage over a "plain handle" - power is almost always at the cost of speed.

A reel is as fast as the reel is, can't change it with the handle - a longer handle will have you moving your hand through a much larger circle - but would make it easier to reel in heavy loads.

A shorter handle would have your hand moving through a smaller circle - but at the cost of power.

Sorry for the quasi-physicsicon15.gif

The Gemini has a very large spool and a fairly fast retrieve ratio of 4.7:1. I found it to be almost perfect for the Ditch smile.gif

Now fishing a 6500 reel in there, that's crankin' to get your jig backcwm24.gif

TimS

Shutterfish: In a weak moment a couple of months back, I was considering a Tica Gemini myself ( it's made in a lefty version). I inquired all around regarding a power handle and found none. Couldn't find anything I could substitute from any other manufacturer. Outta luck, I'm still grinding it out with spinning gear.

JP - yer talking about the Caiman, not the Geminismile.gif The Gemini isn't available in left handed and the Gemini already has a big, wooden knobbed handlesmile.gif You were looking to replace the paddle handle on the Caimain with a power handle type handle.

You know, just to refresh yer memoryHappyWave.gif

TimS