Selecting New Rod Help

Rate this topic

controltestguy

18 hours ago, controltestguy said:

Nice rods, but they seem to be out of stock locally but budget prohibitive anyway. I was thinking 275.00-300.00 max.

Regards,

ctg

Then see what ODM rods have to offer. I bought  two DNA rods and love them. I like them better than my St Croix rods.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

If they have them up there, check out the Bull Bay Inshore rods in 7’ and 7’6”. They make an awesome rod for exactly what you are describing. 

Tight Lines and High Tides Forever! mtl50

7 hours ago, controltestguy said:

Interesting. What were the models? Inshore?

Regards,

ctg

Look up ODM, there are different models. They have surf rods, boat rods.  They may have something for you, maybe not. Also star rods, great value for the money.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

From your description of your fishing, any 7' or 7'6" MHF "inshore" rod should do.  If sticking with St. Croix; Triumph, Mojo, Avid Inshores are all within your budget.  Is your 3500 a Daiwa or Penn (or other)?

I don't fish off bridges or peirs, but assuming you'll need something a bit heavier for that.  

Bait or artificial?

Edited by Skunkoff

22 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

From your description of your fishing, any 7' or 7'6" MHF "inshore" rod should do.  If sticking with St. Croix; Triumph, Mojo, Avid Inshores are all within your budget.  Is your 3500 a Daiwa or Penn (or other)?

I don't fish off bridges or peirs, but assuming you'll need something a bit heavier for that.  

Bait or artificial?

The reel is a Shimano Miravel. Decent drag and not too expensive as far as reels go. I like to throw light bucktails with trailers and soft lures with jigs like paddle tails, etc. I like the Slam Shady lures, too.

Regards,

ctg

5 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Those are really light.  I'd do 70MHF Avid.  But I'm a big fan of St. Croix. 

I'm thinking about it. It looks like some of the local shops here in South Jersey have not received their St Croix stock yet for 2024. TackleDirect has 'not available' for most of the St Croix stuff. Maybe production has not ramped up yet.

Thanks,

ctg

Usually, TD gets their new stuff sometime this month or next..

The Avid is a great rod - any St Croix or Loomis is a great rod, and hard to beat.  Someone also suggested a Century - which are a little more custom, but all are great suggestions.

I have 2 MH Avids, but I use them inshore on the reefs with 20lb braid & 4000 shimano reels.  One of the Avids is the OG - and still has all the same guides.. strong & sensitive thru the 15+ years. 

If I were you - would get a M-rated Avid or Mojo inshore.  The TideMasters were great rods for the money - wish St. Croix still made them.  If you were open to Loomis... I have a plethora of suggestions, but I don't suggest a Loomis for bridge fishing.

A little action on the Ande Tournament Saltwater for ya.

Brought a White and a Thresher boat side while fishing bass off the pods on this 6'6" MH with a Shimano 8000 Bait Runner/20lb Berkley BG.

The rod performance was excellent for a $70 stick.

**** the U.N.

Graphite modulus comes in many grades.. you’d be surprised the sensitivity a G Loomis rod has compared to most rods with the same ratings/specs.  Not all companies - even have access to the quality of graphite Loomis creates for their blanks.

Gary Loomis, in his hey day, always made sure to apply the least amount of high-quality hardware to his very sensitive graphite blanks.  Even though Loomis is owned by Shimano now, the same concept of Loomis is still unmatched imo.  The company has a focus on weight & sensitivity coupled with the quality of the blank for an almost perfect balance in each model.

Like I said, I would not suggest a Loomy for bridge fishing(could break a tip or guide by accident).. but anything else, for light tackle is very hard to beat.