Selecting New Rod Help

Rate this topic

controltestguy

Hello...Southern NJ, fish off off bridge, back bay, Fluke and occasional resident striper, etc. Need help selecting a spinning rod for 2024. Some budget constraint but will consider others. First, I like to 'spot' cast. That is, casting to a particular spot repeatably. Last summer I used a St Croix 6'8" Victory MXF. Very accurate casts with a 3500 reel/braid but rod only handles up to 5/8 oz. Never hooked into anything that challenged the rod. I'm thinking of going up to 7'0". I'll need something that will handle 1 oz comfortably. Something with sensitivity but with some backbone. I like St Croix but will explore other suggestions. Probably stay with a 3500 reel. Look forward to your suggestions and questions. Any help appreciated.

Best regards,

ctg

17 hours ago, controltestguy said:

Hello...Southern NJ, fish off off bridge, back bay, Fluke and occasional resident striper, etc. Need help selecting a spinning rod for 2024. Some budget constraint but will consider others. First, I like to 'spot' cast. That is, casting to a particular spot repeatably. Last summer I used a St Croix 6'8" Victory MXF. Very accurate casts with a 3500 reel/braid but rod only handles up to 5/8 oz. Never hooked into anything that challenged the rod. I'm thinking of going up to 7'0". I'll need something that will handle 1 oz comfortably. Something with sensitivity but with some backbone. I like St Croix but will explore other suggestions. Probably stay with a 3500 reel. Look forward to your suggestions and questions. Any help appreciated.

Best regards,

ctg

Check out the Century Weapon Jr,  throws 1/4- 1.5oz great. Sensitive with power to handle good fish.

Where in South NJ are you?

6 hours ago, AFMike said:

Check out the Century Weapon Jr,  throws 1/4- 1.5oz great. Sensitive with power to handle good fish.

Where in South NJ are you?

Ocean City, back bay for fishing. I get down there often.

ctg