Best Fried Clams in NJ?

Rate this topic

BillHoo

Suddenly had a craving for fried clams. 

Best I had was at the Stage House Tavern in Somerset, but I don't think they serve them anymore.  I remember tender clam strips as thick as your thumb.  But they were crispy and tender inside.

Any favorite clam shacks or fried seafod places along the shore?

Pinkies down on LBI 

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

7 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Suddenly had a craving for fried clams. 

Best I had was at the Stage House Tavern in Somerset, but I don't think they serve them anymore.  I remember tender clam strips as thick as your thumb.  But they were crispy and tender inside.

Any favorite clam shacks or fried seafod places along the shore?

I worked in somerset and concur we would go to SH often for lunch and split the clam strips. Funny thing was we were friendly with the wait staff and you could still get them for awhile after they were pulled from the menu if you knew the code word. Lol what I'd like to find is an authentic oyster po'boy just you get in Louisiana 

there was a place in New Brunswick that used to make a pretty decent oyster Poboy.

As for fried clams, I’d often settle for the ones at White Castle. Last I checked a couple years ago they were having trouble with supply chain. I asked the manager if they were still on the menu, and he complained that he ordered 30 boxes and only got one. They’re trying to find a new supplier. I think that was in 2021. 

regarding fried seafood, there is a well regarded fried seafood restaurant here in Fairfax, Virginia, where I would get a nice seafood combo for about 20 bucks.

Went looking for dinner there last week and found a two entry combo. Dinner had gone up to around $38! Sticker shock on fried clams!

Edited by BillHoo

9 mins ago, BillHoo said:

there was a place in New Brunswick that used to make a pretty decent oyster Poboy.

As for fried clams, I’d often settle for the ones at White Castle. Last I checked a couple years ago they were having trouble with supply chain. I asked the manager if they were still on the menu, and he complained that he ordered 30 boxes and only got one. They’re trying to find a new supplier. I think that was in 2021. 

regarding fried seafood, there is a well regarded fried seafood restaurant here in Fairfax, Virginia, where I would get a nice seafood combo for about 20 bucks.

Went looking for dinner there last week and found a two entry combo. Dinner had gone up to around $38! Sticker shock on fried clams!

I remember Howard Johnsons on the asbury boardwalk having pretty good fried clam strips back in the day...but they're gone now. As for new brunswick I remember the old bay on church St I don't remember them having an oyster po'boy but some real good Cajun food and beer garden

Clams strips, clam bellies... Love em all!

I won't be up in NJ til next weekend.

Might try making Rhode Island Clam Cakes made with canned clams this weekend just to scratch the itch!

Edited by BillHoo

20 hours ago, BillHoo said:

That was the place!  Th Old Bay!

Howard Johnsons had that all-u-can-eat fried clam platter on some days and I never got around to doing it because I figured it would always be there.

Theres a lesson there. Take advantage while you can. :D

Pfantum Pfishah

On 2/3/2024 at 7:10 AM, lostinthewash said:

Had a consistent source in PA for about 10 years. Medings in DE for a short while-but they changed.

HoJo's clams were awful even when I had good sharp teeth. Tough to eat and -even with my stomach-always felt lousy after the "special".

Anyone know the secret for cooking clams like the emboldened description? Absolutely love that type-and really dislike any other attempts. I'm a good cook but I sure don't know the method for cooking clams as described above.

Keyport is too far  but I may try the LBI place if nobody names a source closer.