Car Shopping is destroying my soul, please help.

Rate this topic

Love my Jeep cherokees, had red 2 Dr in-line 6 , put a plow on it and drove and plowed 280,000 miles, have owned 4 , all except for the one now had a Homesteader plow setup, all cars got heat flim fluid baths. Now driving a 2014 bought with 100,000 mile warranty, car now has 124,000 miles camper and bought after market ins now, garages love working on my vehicles, all under hood detailed, as well as suspension with film fluid , 

1 hour ago, Tlacey21walden said:

Glad your car hunt is over having been thought that this summer replacing my truck and boat after getting hit I know it sucks. 

what’s your son doing in VT? My old stomping grounds. 

Gave him my 07 escape.  He likes it, I had the transmission flushed, hoses replaced typical 100k checkup.

On 2/4/2024 at 9:08 AM, Sudsy said:

Clean CarFax, under 20 K cars are gold !

The other sucker eats that big initial depreciation hit and you get all the warrantees 

In this market you only save a few thousand on most models.  I rather have a new one.

On 2/6/2024 at 7:28 PM, S Hook said:

In this market you only save a few thousand on most models.  I rather have a new one.

That’s my take as well. Plus you will get much better financing rates on new, at least that was the case when I was shopping back in the spring. Used prices were also ridiculous at that time. Some used models were the same price as new! It made sense to just buy the exact car I wanted, Subaru Forester Wilderness, which I will hopefully drive just as long as the last one which I also bought new in 2010.

On 2/3/2024 at 4:39 PM, phishallways said:

Congratulations on the car!

This comment reminded me of back in 2000, i test drove a GMC and a 4Runner. The GMC was such a laughable pos compared to the Toyota, i just couldn’t believe it.. i got the 4Runner while a relative happened to buy the GMC a few months later. My Toyota was flawless the entire time i drove it, while at the same time the GMC was misery for the cousin. I hope they’ve up their game, but it doesn’t sound like it.

My dad worked at the GM plant in Baltimore for damn near 40 years so our home growing up was Bowties. EVERY damn GMC we bought was a turd. I know they come off the same line with different badging, but the 3 we owned were garbage. Now we're a Suzuki, Subaru or Toyota household. The last 2 Chevys were total disappointments as well.

On 2/8/2024 at 9:30 AM, faithless said:

When I was looking for my tacoma a used one with 30-50k miles was 20k+ and a brand new one could be had for 25k.

You ought to see the prices now. At the end of the Scamdemic when my wife was looking there was only a $3000 difference between new and used. She now has her first new car which is actually a manual 2022 Tacoma Off Road in Lunar Rock.

20220527_115930.jpg

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

On 2/3/2024 at 3:58 PM, Scott Charlton said:

THANK YOU all so much for your comments.  I test drove my first subaru, and I really liked it.  Unfortuantely, it wasn't roomy enough for my wife.  So I completely nuked my bank account, and got a 2023 Sante Fe SEL.  It was a demo car so I got a "great deal!".  Not by a long shot, but the search is over!

I'm just glad the ordeal is over.  The car is comfortable, and it's mileage is ok, and my wife seems so far to like it.  Thanks everyone.  I test drove 2 subarus, 2 nissans, 1 GMC (wow that car was a disappointment), 1 kia, 1 mazda, and finally the sante fe.

Thanks everyone!

Glad you got what you and your wife wanted. What was so bad about the GMC?

On 2/3/2024 at 8:41 AM, Ftyer said:

I’m sort of in the same boat as the original poster here. Some dbag Triple A driver rear ended and totaled my car. 

Just like Scott, I’d like to get something under 30ishK and want something a bit bigger than the Impreza. 

I can’t make sense of buying a used car, since you only seem to save like 3k if you’re lucky for the same car that’s three years old with 35k miles on it. I haven’t made a firm decision yet, but I think the AWD Honda HRV can be had under 28k and seems like a fine car. My last car was a Honda, and while I took care of maintenance, I didn’t take care of anything else and I woulda probably gotten 70k more

miles on it had it not been hit. 

Other options I’ve been looking at that may help Scott are the Ford Maverick, Crosstrek, and Kia Seltos. 

I have a 2018 Crosstrek and it's a great truck. It's anemic, but it gets 30ish mpg and if you're tall you'll fit in it just fine. The newer ones have better hp and are much more fun to drive. I didn't fit in the new Outbacks or Foresters.

Jacques Cousteau

On 2/10/2024 at 11:01 AM, ReeferRob said:

I have a 2018 Crosstrek and it's a great truck. It's anemic, but it gets 30ish mpg and if you're tall you'll fit in it just fine. The newer ones have better hp and are much more fun to drive. I didn't fit in the new Outbacks or Foresters.

That’s interesting…I’ve driven two different Crosstreks for work for years. They are/were both more cramped than my Foresters. Way less head room, less leg room, etc. Also, calling it a truck? Are we talking about the same vehicle? :)

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

That’s interesting…I’ve driven two different Crosstreks for work for years. They are/were both more cramped than my Foresters. Way less head room, less leg room, etc. Also, calling it a truck? Are we talking about the same vehicle? :)

I'm 6'5 and I didn't fit in the newer Forester. I adjusted the seats and still didn't like the way it fit me. Yes, I call it a truck, I refuse to use that designation for it.

Jacques Cousteau

17 mins ago, ReeferRob said:

I'm 6'5 and I didn't fit in the newer Forester. I adjusted the seats and still didn't like the way it fit me. Yes, I call it a truck, I refuse to use that designation for it.

Fair enough, whatever works! The Forester is more of an upright, SUV-style seat. For me, it works better than the car-like Crosstrek seat. 

On 2/10/2024 at 11:01 AM, ReeferRob said:

That's the main knock on subies: poor acceleration and pickup. I guess it's inherent in the boxer engine design but I'm no expert. But they are very reliable, and that's my main reason for sticking with them. 

Pfantum Pfishah

15 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

Enterprise car sales worth a look. 1/1 good experiences with them

0/1 for me.  My 2004 Explorer came from there.  In the end, it was a great vehicle, but after finding out it needed about $2k in repairs.  Lots of back and forth to get them to pay for the repairs.  I bought it in CT and live in ME.  Enterprise offered to have someone drive it back to CT for repairs in their garage.  I told them if they wanted to go that route, send up a flatbed.  They finally gave in and I had it fixed at a Ford dealership and they paid.  So really 0.5/1, I guess.