Car Shopping is destroying my soul, please help.

Rate this topic

I bought my F150 new in 2010, and it lasted me just shy of 13 years, and just shy of 200k miles.  I drive a lot!  Only vehicle that I bought new.  My 2020 F150 is gold certified pre-owned.  I'm definitely paying for it, but glad I went that route.  Looking around at other prices, I think I got a fair deal.  

Buddy of mine bought a F150 off Craigslist a few years back and got burned hard.  Brought it in for service and the tech said there was about $5K worth of repairs and it had a fake sticker.  Bought his next truck used from a dealer.  

Whatever you do, don't skimp because if you get burned you're stuck with it.  Definitely get some sort of warranty.

That said, with all this talk on Subaru, my wife has one and it's a solid vehicle.

Additionally, when I was looking for a new vehicle, we did stop by CarMax in S. Portland.  The people working there were absolutely useless, and didn't even try at any (potential) customer service. 

Edited by Skunkoff

14 hours ago, MartyK said:

If the question is new versus used, I say new for one reason only, and that's the 3 year-36,000 mile warranty.   It's a great feeling knowing you don't have to worry about repairs for 3 years.   Just my $.02.   Plus, are used cars still outrageous?   

Unless of course you put over 30k miles a year on it like I do. :squid: which is why i usually buy new with an extended warranty. But ymmv, so to speak.

I've routinely gotten 200k miles out of each subie I've owned. And I beat on them.

Edited by bdowning

Pfantum Pfishah

9 hours ago, Great Egg said:

Buy after a little research.  At your local library see the newest Consumer Digest annual used car issue to find the most reliable make / year /models.  Have your bride pick the make she prefers.  If you buy from a franchise car dealer you will pay 10% more than an identical vehicle from a private seller.  Never a used car dealer unless he is your brother. You will need at least 3 - 8 months to find a private seller having your ideal vehicle using cars.com and other sites.  Always require the private seller to have all service records for your inspection and allow a mechanic that you choose to inspect it for any collision damage repairs and any other potential problems.  When you find THE vehicle, bring a "bank check" with you when making your offer.   Never bring cash. The majority of sellers will accept.  Your politeness when speaking with the seller will make the transaction a pleasure.  Regards,  GE

All good advice except the part about carrying around a bank check with you. Thats inconvenient for you and the seller. Make a firm offer, give them a check for $100 or $200 as a deposit and let them know you can meet them at your bank or you will return with a bank check. Insist on seeing the title before you buy as some folks are trying to pedal vehicles that have been totaled and have titles to prove it. In NJ the prefix to the title indicates how many owners, if its A its one owner, C =3 owners, if its a 2 year old vehicle and it has had 4 owners beware. Most cars less than 3 years old have repair records online, be aware.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

20 hours ago, faithless said:

I didn't read through all of the responses but for 27K your only options in AWD is a Subaru. You can get a crosstrek or Impreza brand new. You can look for used SUVs. 

I’m sort of in the same boat as the original poster here. Some dbag Triple A driver rear ended and totaled my car. 

Just like Scott, I’d like to get something under 30ishK and want something a bit bigger than the Impreza. 

I can’t make sense of buying a used car, since you only seem to save like 3k if you’re lucky for the same car that’s three years old with 35k miles on it. I haven’t made a firm decision yet, but I think the AWD Honda HRV can be had under 28k and seems like a fine car. My last car was a Honda, and while I took care of maintenance, I didn’t take care of anything else and I woulda probably gotten 70k more

miles on it had it not been hit. 

Other options I’ve been looking at that may help Scott are the Ford Maverick, Crosstrek, and Kia Seltos. 

THANK YOU all so much for your comments.  I test drove my first subaru, and I really liked it.  Unfortuantely, it wasn't roomy enough for my wife.  So I completely nuked my bank account, and got a 2023 Sante Fe SEL.  It was a demo car so I got a "great deal!".  Not by a long shot, but the search is over!

I'm just glad the ordeal is over.  The car is comfortable, and it's mileage is ok, and my wife seems so far to like it.  Thanks everyone.  I test drove 2 subarus, 2 nissans, 1 GMC (wow that car was a disappointment), 1 kia, 1 mazda, and finally the sante fe.

Thanks everyone!

32 mins ago, Scott Charlton said:

1 GMC (wow that car was a disappointment),

Congratulations on the car!

This comment reminded me of back in 2000, i test drove a GMC and a 4Runner. The GMC was such a laughable pos compared to the Toyota, i just couldn’t believe it.. i got the 4Runner while a relative happened to buy the GMC a few months later. My Toyota was flawless the entire time i drove it, while at the same time the GMC was misery for the cousin. I hope they’ve up their game, but it doesn’t sound like it.

I'll ignore your cheap aroma,

and your little-bo-peep diploma,

I'll just put you in a coma,

with some dirty love-

15 hours ago, Scott Charlton said:

THANK YOU all so much for your comments.  I test drove my first subaru, and I really liked it.  Unfortuantely, it wasn't roomy enough for my wife.  So I completely nuked my bank account, and got a 2023 Sante Fe SEL.  It was a demo car so I got a "great deal!".  Not by a long shot, but the search is over!

I'm just glad the ordeal is over.  The car is comfortable, and it's mileage is ok, and my wife seems so far to like it.  Thanks everyone.  I test drove 2 subarus, 2 nissans, 1 GMC (wow that car was a disappointment), 1 kia, 1 mazda, and finally the sante fe.

Thanks everyone!

I drove a Santa fe as a rental car years ago. Seemed pretty nice and at the time I needed something fairly roomy for multiple passengers. 

Pfantum Pfishah

Glad your car hunt is over having been thought that this summer replacing my truck and boat after getting hit I know it suck

Edited by Tlacey21walden

Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after, If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Like someone else said Mazda. Look at the Mazda CX 30 for around 27,000 brand new.  Has a real transmission not a CVT like Subaru. You’ll likely drive it for 250,000 miles without any issues.

Oops, just saw you already got one. Good luck with it!

Edited by S Hook

Clean CarFax, under 20 K cars are gold !

The other sucker eats that big initial depreciation hit and you get all the warrantees 

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962