Does anyone fish the Canal?

Rate this topic

Seems like a nice pathway between Susq and the Del.  I think of the CCC.  Does anyone fish this canal?

Sorry for the stupid question.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

I have fished it a few times.  Dirty water, lots of snags, and catfish.  Seems mostly to be a bait and wait type of game which isn't really my thing.  During the spawn (April 1- May 31) it's C&R only.  It's a much different vibe and fishery than the CCC.

Hmmm.  I would think it has to hold bass.  Snakehead?

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

I always wondered if some fish snuck through there on their way out after spawning. If a good slug of shad went that way it might be possible. With the current rockfish population issues I think i would focus my now limited time to other areas where the fish have a more historic presence. Small fish might be present in the fall though. Snakeheads will be present where ever there is grass. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the perfect exit after spawning. The depth isn't the same as the CCC, but I'd love to give that place a try this season! Jigs and lures for me.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

-Doug Larson

I fished a couple miles north of there a number of times, but in the actual C&D, though I've thought about it.

I'd think the area near the mouth to the Delaware would have stripers in March and April, perhaps also the west end of the canal, though I've never fished that end.

Very dirty water at most times, so fish when the water is clearer, which can be various tides depend in on the clarity of the water flowing downstream from the cities.

Years ago we used to fish the C & D canal at the mouth of the canal where it opens to the De river. We used blood worms than, caught a lot of shoolies. Water is  filty, some of the stripers had sores all over them. But still fun.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

On 2/11/2024 at 11:44 AM, CharlieN said:

My brother and I went fishing on the delaware River Saturday.  I caught 2 nice catfish used shrimp. Could not get blood worms. Stripers are being caught on bloods. 

Walmart.  Seriously.  $20

18 hours ago, Kbetts said:

Walmart.  Seriously.  $20

Thanks but no thanks. That's to much for blood worms. Well get bait from Masterbaiter bait shop, bigger worms lower price when they have them. Seriously!

Edited by CharlieN

(*member formerly known as 'Charlie Nester')

56 mins ago, CharlieN said:

Thanks but no thanks. That's to much for blood worms. Well get bait from Masterbaiter bait shop, bigger worms lower price when they have them. Seriously!

When they have them.  The ones we bought aren't small and you can get'em now.

Just a suggestion.