Slammer IV or SS VII Bailess suffer rotor spin on cast?

SJRhino

Wondering if anyone has or knows if the Slammer IV or SS VII Bailess reels suffer from rotor spin on cast.  I have a SS VI 4500 bailess that spins on cast and catches the line... bye bye plug. I have packed it with Corrosion Block marine grease to slow it down.    

I have a SS 4500 VI bailess also. It works great. No rotor spin on casting.  Maybe Tony from Penn will chime in about what he thinks. I have all kinds of Penn models and never had a rotor spin on casting. And I have cast some heavy plugs with her. I have  a Penn 6500 Slammer with a bail and it works great, no bail spin.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

18 hours ago, SJRhino said:

Wondering if anyone has or knows if the Slammer IV or SS VII Bailess reels suffer from rotor spin on cast.  I have a SS VI 4500 bailess that spins on cast and catches the line... bye bye plug. I have packed it with Corrosion Block marine grease to slow it down.    

l had one it had rotors spin lost two plugs, also a small main gear no receive power when working a plug in a rip or fast moving water, on my reel rotor had some movement up and down that screwed up my line lay, returned the reel for a refund, geat looking reel but l don't need headaches.

• 1 month later...

I was going to buy a new Slammer 5500 BLS tomorrow. I'm not since no one seems to know if Penn addressed the rotor spin issue.  If the Gosa came in a BLS I'd try it, but it doesn't. Guess I'll keep packing the SSVI 4500 with Corrosion Block every month until I find a little used VS150. 

On 1/26/2024 at 4:58 PM, hunter123 said:

I have a SS 4500 VI bailess also. It works great. No rotor spin on casting.  Maybe Tony from Penn will chime in about what he thinks. I have all kinds of Penn models and never had a rotor spin on casting. And I have cast some heavy plugs with her. I have  a Penn 6500 Slammer with a bail and it works great, no bail spin.

What rod do you have the SSVI 4500 BLs on? Rotor spin it may not be an issue on a parabolic rod that is easily casted.  I have mine on a 9'5' Century Slingshot, definitely not parabolic.

• 2 weeks later...

Two things will help prevent rotor spin.

First, turn the handle so it parallel to rod pointing to the butt.

Second, if after doing the above the line roller is close to the line(on the right side of your finger), turn the handle again so it's  on the left side.

Sounds like a PITA but after a few of times of using the reel, it becomes second nature.

It shouldn't be necessary to carefully position the handle to avoid rotor spin. The ideal way to handle it is found on the Saragosa, the best spinner I've used; a full bail that must be manually rotated after the cast. My old 750 SS probably cost me more money, in lost plugs and tins, than the reel itself ever cost. There were supposedly Japanese-designed components you could swap in, to prevent this, but I never found them.